Car Tax Again Booooo!

FUG

That time of year again and car tax is due this week, yet again gone up from last year so now paying something like £270 for 12 months (dread to think what you guys with the facelift models are paying at the full shebang?!).

What gets me is that my girlfriends insurance for the year is less then my tax (admittedly she has a new-wish fiat 500 that is like £20 a year to tax). That got me thinking that as we sway toward being more and more eco friendly in years to come and cars become more economical so that they are all cheap road tax types.....then how is that going to afford the up keep of our roads and infrastructure?!??!?! Something will have to happen I'm sure :shrug:

VED doesn't go towards the upkeep of the roads.

And yes, if people keep buying low VED cars then another tax will need to rise to balance the books. Like fuel.

I thought a certain amount of VED goes toward upkeep of roads, infrastructure, goverment projects etc amongst other things although it is hard to distiguish what or how much exactly as it is put into a big 'pot' along with other taxes and dished out from there??? Fuel is getting ridiculous though

Whether it's £270 or £500, it's still peanuts in the scheme of annual car ownership costs.

Is a lot just for tax though compared to other motors.

Maybe that's just because I'm surrounded by friends, family, work mates etc that all have sub £30 tax cars (none of which are as cool as the zed though ;) )

Whether it's £270 or £500, it's still peanuts in the scheme of annual car ownership costs.

Is a lot just for tax though compared to other motors.

Maybe that's just because I'm surrounded by friends, family, work mates etc that all have sub £30 tax cars (none of which are as cool as the zed though ;) )

mines due in november £200 for my 4.0litre Supercharged V8 :teeth::lol::p the advantage of buying pre 2001.

anything below 1700cc is about £150, everything over 1700cc is £200. regardless of how over it goes :teeth:

Said like a true Porsche owner! :lol:

you got there before me :clap::lol:

Also said like a pikey old MX-5 owner ;) The point stands regardless of what car you own: Fuel is the biggest running cost you've got, VED is nothing.

We all know its an absolute joke because its based on emissions.

I do approx 3000miles a year in my weekend car which obviously is the zed at the mo, where as my missus does 10000miles a year in her 2litre turbo diesel and pays £135 tax for the year.

So which one of us is producing the most emissions???

Doesnt stack up does it?

We all know its an absolute joke because its based on emissions.

I do approx 3000miles a year in my weekend car which obviously is the zed at the mo, where as my missus does 10000miles a year in her 2litre turbo diesel and pays £135 tax for the year.

So which one of us is producing the most emissions???

Doesnt stack up does it?

Which one of you is paying the most tax on fuel though? What about the 20% VAT thats slapped on that too? How about the 4 tyres a year she uses with another 20% VAT on top? Or the extra 2 services every year ........ etc.

Road tax, even at £500 a year, is less than a tenner a week, think of it as a very reasonable parking charge ;)