Letting the Mrs drive the Zed

smudgedon

I love my zed to bits, its my pride and joy. I've never spent so long cleaning a car before in my life (barring my last zed :teeth: ) and i know every scratch and chip on her. I was gutted for ages the other week when i chipped the alloy, wound me up for days. I get annoyed about every chip.

but........ultimately i have to agree with some of the others here, its a car, a tool to have a hell of a lot of fun with, and i like to share that experience.

I've lost count of the number of people that i've let have a go in rosie. I trusted them all, don't get me wrong i wouldnt let some nutter take her for a ride (some have been close :lol: ) but i like for others to give her a spin and see the fun i have.

I've tried to pursuade mum, my sister and other friends have a go to but most are terrified in case anything happens and knowing the way i am with the car :lol: But id be more than happy for them to take her for a spin

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried to pursuade mum, my sister and other friends have a go to but most are terrified in case anything happens and knowing the way i am with the car :lol: But id be more than happy for them to take her for a spin

This Will is why everytime I have declined taking Rosie for a spin, knowing my luck it would be me who crashes it :lol: When you offered me again to take it for a spin on the Wales weekend I was so hungover I couldnt even focus on your car let alone drive it :drive1:lol:

This Will is why everytime I have declined taking Rosie for a spin, knowing my luck it would be me who crashes it :lol: When you offered me again to take it for a spin on the Wales weekend I was so hungover I couldnt even focus on your car let alone drive it :drive1:lol:

:lol::lol::drunk:

I use to be precious about it, My wife just doesn't do the milage I do, when i'f met her she'd been driving for 5 years and covered maybe 30k miles, I did that in my first year. As time went on I let her drive my car when it suited me, and I got very frustrated with her driving it, the way she doesn't do certain things etc. \

But the reality is she may not drive technically better than I do, but she will certainly not take as many risks as I do so now she drives What ever car she wants as I know she won't do any harm.

Only once did she nudge a kurb, and I gave her the biggest evils I could, then checked the wheel out and there was the tinniest mark on it, I let her sweat it out for a few seconds and then let her know it's okay.

In short, I think you're just anxious, the more she drives the car the more familiar she will be and driving it un-supervised she will gain more confidence, Appreciate she may have a few near misses, but just spell it out, "You broke it you buy it" (or repair)

but theres a big difference between her driving the car home one evening with the OP in the car, and her doing a 200mile round trip on her own... that sounds like throwing her in the deep end to me! I'd have her out with the OP a good half dozen times, before even allowing her to drive anywhere on her own.

im sorry, but its still a definite no from me! she cant have seriously thought you'd let her after you said emergencies only - especially considering her car is considerably better for the task at hand as well.

my wife drives my XKR; i only have one rule; you break it you pay for it :lol:

i've let her take it on her own, and she knows how precious i am over my car so she rings me to tell me she's got there safely :lol:

if i;ve been drinking and she drives it with me in it, i keep pressing the sport button and tell her to put her foot down :teeth:

even though it has loads of power she doesn;t use it, which is fine by me.

my only woryy is not that she can;t drive it with out me, its what happens if she breaks down in it with out me :lol: once the timing chains are done this shouldn't be a worry. :blush:

i know she can drive, she's very good, the boys fromo MR2ROC know she can drive. she'll never beat me on track and she's not really interested in tracking cars.

she has her own car, its worth more than mine and she has the same rule as well. if i break it i pay for it :lol:

my mate has a scooby and he lets his missus drive it all the time, he doesn;t mind as she drives it out of boost everywhere, so he gets great mpg, and knows she won;t spank it as she won;t be going fast enough :lol: she doesn;t like the turbo power.

its only a zed, its insured, and if your worried about the fuel get her to top it back up when she gets home.

Very astute Steve :)

Actually to be fair, there are many I do not like being a passenger in their car, some I will not even get in the car if they are driving, will drive instead. :headhurt::headhurt: Some people's driving skills and car control and lack of concentration are the reason there are so many accidents. Do I let others drive my Z, no. Don't care, male or female. :thumbs:

I feel the same way as Will and have offered drives to my daughter, son and son-on-law who have all commented positively about the car - but interestingly none of them have taken up the offer yet. I'm totally relaxed about it but maybe they aren't. To my mind it is just a thing to be enjoyed - if you start worrying what happens to it then the point is lost.

I have no problem in admitting that my better half is probably a safer and better driver than me. She's been driving for 20 years. I've been driving for less than 2 (didn't get around to learning until I was 40).

What I have noticed though is that since I like to drive the 370 a lot and take every opportunity to, she is now much less confident than when we first bought one and she had to do all the driving while I took my lessons.

I love my Z but it's just a lump of metal at the end of the day and I wouldn't dream of telling her she couldn't drive it even though I pay for it, clean it etc etc.

Smudge, sounds to me like she wanted to show off to her family about about (i) how successful her 22 y/o boyfriend is to have a nice car like yours and (ii) that you trust her with it. You told her to do one on the basis that it's not worth the petrol. That is, probably, why she has the huff with you.

My finacee drives the Zed frequently. She is a bit on the hesitant side but perfectly safe. It's not surprising if your nearest and dearest is like a cat on hot bricks and not driving that well if you chew her out over the car.

So, assuming she's not a liability on the roads then say something along the following lines over dinner at a point when the car is not otherwise a subject of discussion:

"I've been thinking about it and I'm happy for you to drive my car every now and again as I know it might be nice for you go out with a friend in it sometimes, or you might just want to take it for a spin if you are in the mood. However, I want you to promise that you will pay it as much care as I do which means making sure:

(i) the wheels do not make contact with the curb, ever.

(ii) the car does not make any contact with a stationary object, ever.

(iii) use car parking spaces where the car is far away from other cars - i.e. on the other side of the car park from the door.

Every time one of those three things happens we are going to have to spend money and time sorting it out. Also, it will make me feel as though you don't care about something important to me."

Then don't mention it again and tell her when she drives well (or at least better than normal) in your presence.

If she stacks it, or someone drives into her, then what can you do? There is more chance of her stacking it though if she is cra**ing herself when she drives it though.

I take all your points on board, however after a phone call last night with her my mind is made up

We use the pub car park across the road as we know the landlord well, and 9 times out of 10 you'll park on a slope. Despite me advising her to put the car in gear when she does this as the corsa has a handbrake with the strength of a small rodent, she rarely does. I also always advise her to start and stop an engine with the clutch down, just what I was always taught and is common sense

We were both in her car when she parked up the other night and she parked facing up the slope, so I told her to put it into 1st while it's parked to save it going anywhere which it's done before. My last words to her were "you HAVE to start it with the clutch down or you'll go into that wall when you turn the ignition"

Can anyone guess what the phone call was about? :lol: