Letting the Mrs drive the Zed

smudgedon

The Mrs has her own car, a little diesel corsa which is great for zipping round town and returns great mpg on long runs. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever

However, understandably she loves the chance to drive the Zed which I finally let her do the other week when I had a few too many drinks at a friends. I'm very protective over my cars and she is the 1st person that I've ever let drive my car except for garages obviously

She did ok but didn't thrill me with confidence. So I said she can drive it in emergencies or if I want a drink which she happily agreed to

I'm now away for a few days and she's going up to Bedford (100mile drive each way) to see her family. I get a text saying "can I take your car?". My reply is no because I'm not there and it'd be cheaper to do the 200miles in her diesel car. So now shes got the huff with me....

She's on my insurance as a named driver, purely because she brings the premium down by several hundred pounds a year!

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mrs has her own car, a little diesel corsa which is great for zipping round town and returns great mpg on long runs. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever

However, understandably she loves the chance to drive the Zed which I finally let her do the other week when I had a few too many drinks at a friends. I'm very protective over my cars and she is the 1st person that I've ever let drive my car except for garages obviously

She did ok but didn't thrill me with confidence. So I said she can drive it in emergencies or if I want a drink which she happily agreed to

I'm now away for a few days and she's going up to Bedford (100mile drive each way) to see her family. I get a text saying "can I take your car?". My reply is no because I'm not there and it'd be cheaper to do the 200miles in her diesel car. So now shes got the huff with me....

She's on my insurance as a named driver, purely because she brings the premium down by several hundred pounds a year!

What are your thoughts?

Stop being a tard its a bloody car at the end of the day. The only way she is going to get better at driving the car is with experience and no wonder she prob doesnt drive that well when your in the car as it sounds like your putting her under pressure. I would say let her take the car to Bedford and see how she goes..... if she then turns round and says" hunni I bumped the car" then dont let her drive it again :lol: But if it was me give her a chance. My fiancee drives my 370z and her every day car is a beat up Pug 106 but.... she drives it pretty damn well. Just my opinion.

So you will let her drive it, only when it suits you... Wonder why she's in a huff?

:p

Exactamundo!! "I'll take you out dear but you have to stay sober so I can get p*ssed" :thumbdown: Mrs glrnet drives mine and I don't have a problem with it, she did drive into a kerb and scratch the front lip (and she was mortified) but hey ho that's life, as Jay & Stew said "it's only a car". Yep it's my pride and joy, she knows that, surely you're wife knows that too and will treat your car accordingly, it's all about trust and respect :)

at the end of the day. its a piece of metal.

let her drive it and if she does any damage then say sorry love, thats it.

the only way she will get to drive it better............ is to drive it.

my mrs drives my 370z everyday. and she does a good job. :thumbs:

get her to put some fuel in it as a return.

but......... if your still not comfortable then tell her to do one and face the consequence.

Plenty of us ladies on here have our own Zeds with no issues, if you won't let her drive yours, buy one for her lol

My other half lets me drive his Supra and had no problems and I have to sit on a cushion to see over the steering wheel lol Give her a chance to drive it without you sitting in there tense and stressing her out, if she feels criticised by you, she wont drive well with you in there

Forgot to mention that it's my fuel she'll be using btw....

Her driving is....interesting.....various scuff marks all over her car from "little bumps"

This. firstly, If she wants to take your zed over her economic diesel, then she can darn well pay the petrol.

secondly, if her car has just one battle scar, thats one too many. someone who has car park bumps is not someone you want driving your car. especially since the zed will be a fair bit longer and wider, just increases the chance of a car park accident.

In addition, whats the state of her car like? Is it filled to the rafters with empty coke cans, tissues, spent parking tickets and the like? if so, then you've got to expect the zed will come back in a similar state.

And finally, whats her attitude to car servicing? if she doesnt service hers, it doesnt fill me with confidence she'll be mechanically sympathetic with yours.

If she wants to drive your car, i'd let her drive it along some country lanes, with you in the car to watch over her. i think if someone is let off the leash in a 280bhp rwd sports coupe they might get a bit overexcited.

alternatively, if she likes fast cars, then get her a trackday or a car control day :thumbs:

Forgot to mention that it's my fuel she'll be using btw....

Her driving is....interesting.....various scuff marks all over her car from "little bumps"

This. firstly, If she wants to take your zed over her economic diesel, then she can darn well pay the petrol.

secondly, if her car has just one battle scar, thats one too many. someone who has car park bumps is not someone you want driving your car. especially since the zed will be a fair bit longer and wider, just increases the chance of a car park accident.

In addition, whats the state of her car like? Is it filled to the rafters with empty coke cans, tissues, spent parking tickets and the like? if so, then you've got to expect the zed will come back in a similar state.

And finally, whats her attitude to car servicing? if she doesnt service hers, it doesnt fill me with confidence she'll be mechanically sympathetic with yours.

If she wants to drive your car, i'd let her drive it along some country lanes, with you in the car to watch over her. i think if someone is let off the leash in a 280bhp rwd sports coupe they might get a bit overexcited.

alternatively, if she likes fast cars, then get her a trackday or a car control day :thumbs:

I have to say.... I totally disagree with almost everything you said :lol:

We are speaking about a Nissan 350Z right?

Not speaking about a 1 of 1 vintage racer or something?

I hate to think what you guys might be like if / when you have kids!

Lol no your not taking them out for an ice cream what if they spill it on their dress or trousers :blush::lol:;)

Certainly wouldn't let my kids drive it if I ever do have any!

The way I see it, its my car that i pay for and she has her car that she pays for. To do a 200mile motorway journey makes sense to use little diesel corsa

Ive been with her 3 years and shes had numerous "bumps" in her car and ive seen her stuggle to park her little corsa either in a bay or parallel park almost every time. She is not a confident driver yet she thinks she can just jump in my car and be fine

Yes if i want her to drive my car i have to give her the chance, but i dont want her driving it. She has her own car for getting around