19" wheels

4RE Leather

I decided to chuck this in here and see how it goes.

I am curious to know why so many people have 19" rims on there must have list?

This is purely a question and not an accusation on anyones preferance or choice.

But as to why do they want them?

Is there a better choice?

Do they make for better road handling?

Better choice of tyres?

Bigger wider Tyres and the benifits.

Or is it simply a case of "Because I can".

I went with the OEM rims and had them powdercoated black and think they look great and have had possitive feedback.

Not for one moment knocking 19" wheels as I love the GTR35 ones:)

B)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres a few reasons to change but the main reason is to fill the arches.

18" can look a little lost especially on stock ride height. I've had my 18's on since day one, but changing their colour fore me is a half way stop before taking a 19" rim that looks and fits to the car.

18's will perform better and 19's look better. This is normally the rule.

You could run a 19 on stock suspension and it looks a little more fulfilling.

There's probably no extra choice as its swings and roundabouts.

The Weds SA60 came out in a 18 I think 2 years ago, but I want 19. It wasn't till April this year they were produced. So for the 2 years from manufacture it wasn't possible to get a 19" rim. So the choice isn't any better or worse on a 19.

It must be my eyesight as I put 20mm spacers on all corners and 245/35/18 on the front

275/35/18 on the rear.

So I have widened it by 10cm at the back and 8 at the front and dropped it 1cm I think.

My arch looks full now.

Just waiting for a wheel to overtake me down Reigate Hill one day!!!

:lol:

19" Nismo wheels were an optional extra new for the 350, so clearly the car is 'designed' to accommodate them.

General rule is 18" are more suited on track, 19" (or even 20") have better visual appeal but all down to personal preference in the end and how you drive it. :shrug:

... 19s all the way, unless you are tanking it around a track there is plenty grip on 19s with decent tyres to keep you on the road, if you go off its more likely driver error than any failing of 10 inch by 19 inch rear wheels - and of course they just look miles better :thumbs:

theortically a larger rim adds a smaller profile tyre, and a wider foot print. this in return gives more tyre contact to the road and more grip, and with a lower profile less tyre roll and more accurate feedback from the wheel.

down sides include an increased unsprung weight which can have a larger impact on performance than added sprung weight. but we're talking minimal amounts.

if you change up to decent light weight forged wheels or split rims it can be a decent upgrade. with minimal impact on unsprung weight. things like volks or BBS are a good choice due to style and weight. enkei offer a good selection of lightweight cast wheels.

if you bung on larger cast copies or cheap wheel then the benefit is purely cosmetic with some grip enhancement.

to put into context (sorry for using jaguar as a model) the X100 XKR had an optional upgrade to 20" BBS wheels from the stock 18" (they also did a 19" as well, but most have the 20") but cars that had them fitted were also fitted with a larger oil sump in order to add more oil to the engine for increased G in cornering i.e so the oil didn't all slop to one side and leave the engine momenteraily out of oil. so cars with 20" have an 8 litre oil capacity where as cars that came with 18" have 6 litre capacity.

theortically a larger rim adds a smaller profile tyre, and a wider foot print. this in return gives more tyre contact to the road and more grip, and with a lower profile less tyre roll and more accurate feedback from the wheel.

down sides include an increased unsprung weight which can have a larger impact on performance than added sprung weight. but we're talking minimal amounts.

if you change up to decent light weight forged wheels or split rims it can be a decent upgrade. with minimal impact on unsprung weight. things like volks or BBS are a good choice due to style and weight. enkei offer a good selection of lightweight cast wheels.

if you bung on larger cast copies or cheap wheel then the benefit is purely cosmetic with some grip enhancement.

to put into context (sorry for using jaguar as a model) the X100 XKR had an optional upgrade to 20" BBS wheels from the stock 18" (they also did a 19" as well, but most have the 20") but cars that had them fitted were also fitted with a larger oil sump in order to add more oil to the engine for increased G in cornering i.e so the oil didn't all slop to one side and leave the engine momenteraily out of oil. so cars with 20" have an 8 litre oil capacity where as cars that came with 18" have 6 litre capacity.

Not only the weight of larger wheels, but moreso the weight of larger tyres.

very true, its why if weight is an issue you want the lightest wheels possible to account for the increase in tyre weight.

you can get some of the benefits in 18 by going for a wider 18" wheel, and choosing a tyre with good strong stiff side walls or reinforced tyres, most reinforceds have the letters XL next to them. so if you see 2 identical tyres but ones more expensive its often becasue its reinfoced, or a different compond designed for a specific manufacturer. if its manufacturer specific, it has extra letters (code for each manfucaturer) the only ones who tend to have these are audi, jaguar, merc, porsche and ferrari are the most common.

you can go lower profile on zed 18"s but you might suffer TCS issues, but turning it off fixes that :lol:

if i was purely interested about tracking the zed for maximum benefit. i'd go with the lightest 18" with a wide stance and add lower profile tyres. i would have shed the unsprung weight improved the grip and reduced the tyre roll and increased steering and car feedback.

19" Nismo wheels were an optional extra new for the 350, so clearly the car is 'designed' to accommodate them.

General rule is 18" are more suited on track, 19" (or even 20") have better visual appeal but all down to personal preference in the end and how you drive it. :shrug:

This is :thumbs: ^^^

very true, its why if weight is an issue you want the lightest wheels possible to account for the increase in tyre weight.

you can get some of the benefits in 18 by going for a wider 18" wheel, and choosing a tyre with good strong stiff side walls or reinforced tyres, most reinforceds have the letters XL next to them. so if you see 2 identical tyres but ones more expensive its often becasue its reinfoced, or a different compond designed for a specific manufacturer. if its manufacturer specific, it has extra letters (code for each manfucaturer) the only ones who tend to have these are audi, jaguar, merc, porsche and ferrari are the most common.

you can go lower profile on zed 18"s but you might suffer TCS issues, but turning it off fixes that :lol:

if i was purely interested about tracking the zed for maximum benefit. i'd go with the lightest 18" with a wide stance and add lower profile tyres. i would have shed the unsprung weight improved the grip and reduced the tyre roll and increased steering and car feedback.

:thumbs: 18" rays with r888's with a 40 profile instead of 45 = Perfect :cloud9:

I went for 19's to:-

a) fill the arches

B) with the correct offsets got rid of the spacers

c) improve the handling and went for wider rims too, 10's on the rear 8.5's on the front

:)

Eventually I would like to dump the spacers and get a rim that will take a 295+ if possible.

Not fussed about the 18or 19" just the more rubber on the road the better in my book!

:teeth:

Simple case is I like the way they look, there's no other reason for buying 19's.

This. If it was about dynamics youd have the lightest 17's you could find that fit over the brakes. Im a bit astonished that anyone has tried to say any different actually ;)

Im running 18's on the front and 19's on the back mainly because I cant find any front 19's that are wide enough :teeth:

The cost of the rear tyres also stops me drifting which could be a good or bad thing depending on your viewpoint :D

I should add that the car is perfectly good on 19's, they dont detract from the handling or ride like they do on a 200SX, for instance :)

Simple case is I like the way they look, there's no other reason for buying 19's.

This. If it was about dynamics youd have the lightest 17's you could find that fit over the brakes. Im a bit astonished that anyone has tried to say any different actually ;)

Im running 18's on the front and 19's on the back mainly because I cant find any front 19's that are wide enough :teeth:

The cost of the rear tyres also stops me drifting which could be a good or bad thing depending on your viewpoint :D

I should add that the car is perfectly good on 19's, they dont detract from the handling or ride like they do on a 200SX, for instance :)

Don't suppose you have a side shot of your car running 18' and 19' as I may also be doing the same.

Heyyyy, I noticed the handling wasn't quite as snappy and the ride isn't so great, but that's the fact the profile went down, not that they're 19's. Though that's sort of inevitable with going to 19's.

More that the extra width really makes it tramline :lol:

Besides, if you have the brembos or proper brakes, no way the 17's would work :p

I may be being thick here. You have 19" rims on back and 18" on front?

I am still learning lol.

That's why I started this post.

My ultimate goal is to try and reduce the amount of back slide which has mainly occurred since the power upgrade.

My method of thinking initially was a Quaiff Diff and the widest tyre that stick like Phoo to a shovel

But these are just thoughts as Abbey can't set the car up untill all the other work is finished.

Which makes sense.

What I want to avoid it having to park it up during the Winter being to afraid to use it.

Only done 3700 miles since I got it last July as it is.

Not bothered about the cost of the rubber just the end name:)

What I want to avoid it having to park it up during the Winter being to afraid to use it.

Only done 3700 miles since I got it last July as it is.

Not bothered about the cost of the rubber just the end name:)

You've got what? 450-460bhp? (I forget now).

It don't matter what you do, that kinda power through the rear wheels only is always gonna be uncomfortable during the winter. I for one would just park it up in a nice garage and take it back out in the spring.

Wider tyres in icy condition would actually make your grip worse.