iPhone 5

Adrian@TORQEN

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be getting it unlocked, I'm on 3 with the 1 month contract. As soon as I can move to EE, I'll make a move :teeth:

does it do 4g then ?

i haven't kept up with the discussions ('cos its highly unlikely I'll get one - just way over priced in my opinion)

does it do 4g then ?

Yes and No. This "unlocked 4G phone" will only do 4G on Orange/T-Mob in a few cities, in a few months time.

When Vodafone/O2/3 launch their 4G networks next summer, you'll have to upgrade again, by which time the iPhone 6 will be near.

Octet, if you're going to promote this phone so heavily you could at least point out the pitfalls/costs/limitations before ecouraging people to drop £530+ on it.

£699 for a PHONE :scare::headhurt:.....thats nearly the same as what we paid for my wifes the MacBook Air with a 128 gig SSD.

Too rich for me, I think I will be holding on to my 4, might pick up a 4S when they get a bit cheaper and pass the 4 onto my wife when the 3G she's currently using finally dies (I first bought it in 2009) :) We have plenty of Apple stuff in the house (About 10 different Apple laptops/desktops over the years) but the current lot of Apple stuff is just too expensive for me...specced up a Retina Macbook Pro to my liking..£3K!!! Thats half way into a Z these day :surrender:

Octet, if you're going to promote this phone so heavily you could at least point out the pitfalls/costs/limitations before ecouraging people to drop £530+ on it.

I'm not selling you anything, just presenting some info for people that already have made their mind up and are interested about the iPhone5 or are due for an upgrade.

Talking about the pitfalls:

Apple is building Lightning to HDMI and Lightning to VGA adapters and quotes an Apple spokesperson as saying they "will be available in the coming months." Without these adapters, iPhone 5 owners' only option to output video from the device would be AirPlay

and

Deutsche Telekom in Germany and EE in the U.K. stand to gain from Apple's decision to support only one European LTE band, 1800MHz, on the iPhone 5, while Vodafone is on the losing end in both countries.

Along with a bigger screen and a faster processor, support for LTE 4G is one of the most important hardware upgrades Apple has added to the iPhone 5, which was announced on Wednesday at an event in San Francisco. But as it has in the past, Apple does things its own way. In Europe, mainly three bands are used for LTE: 800MHz, 1800MHz and 2600MHz. While Samsung Electronics has introduced a Euro-friendly version of the Galaxy S III -- the new iPhone's most potent competitor -- that has all three bands, Apple decided to implement only 1800MHz, and instead focus its development efforts on enabling multiple U.S. and Asian bands. That decision will have an impact on operators across the continent in the short term, especially in Germany and the U.K. In Germany, Deutsche Telekom is the only German operator with an existing 1800MHz LTE footprint, currently in 50 cities, with 100 planned at the end of the year, according to J.P. Morgan Cazenove.

In the U.K, EE -- which is a joint venture between Orange and T-Mobile, and was previously known as Everything Everywhere -- will use the spectrum band to roll out a network in 16 cities by Christmas, it said on Tuesday. Other operators in those countries, including Vodafone and Telefonica O2, will have to rely on their 3G networks when selling the new iPhone, which luckily for them also supports HSPA+ at 42M bps.

"Lets not overstate this too much. Those operators will all have the iPhone 5, but what it will allow EE and Deutsche Telekom to do in the U.K. and Germany is market their iPhone as the fastest iPhone available," said Ben Wood, director of research at CCS Insight. That is not as good as having exclusive access to the iPhone, but it will help them stand out in a very homogenous market, according to Wood. One challenge for EE and Deutsche Telekom will be to teach users what 4G and LTE is in a way that will benefit them. Forty-six percent of iPhone 4 users believe that they already have 4G, according to market research company Analysys Mason. The question is how you convince those customers to buy an LTE contract, it said.

Still, if Apple were to choose just one band for European networks, 1800MHz is a good from a performance point of view. The band offers significantly better geographic and in-building coverage than the 2600MHz band. LTE at 1800MHz provides twice as much coverage per base station as LTE at 2600MHz, according to tests by Finnish operator Elisa and referenced in a report by GSM Association. However, not all LTE networks on the 1800MHz band are created equally. The real-world speed in a wireless network depends on a number of different factors, but at its core the speed is dependent on the amount of spectrum used. The current iteration of LTE needs 20MHz for download traffic and 20MHz for upload traffic to get maximum performance. But EE and U.S. operators like Verizon Wireless only use half that much, so iPhone 5 users on those networks will only get half the potential bandwidth. That compares to the 26000MHz band, which may not have the same indoor coverage, but has room for operators to really let LTE fly.

These bandwidth issues will be resolved, according to Wood. The next version of the iPhone will have support for more LTE bands, he said.

I will be upgrading to an iPhone 4s when my 3GS finally gives up, just no incentive to go for a 5. Anyone who thinks LTE will be anything useful is a fool unless they live in an area covered by EE and are willing to pay what will be inflated prices for the privilege. What O2 will do to comeback at this is launch Wifi everywhere which will no doubt be quicker (in real terms, not theoretical terms) and cheaper :stir:

i think when i upgraded a few months ago, the S3 was £80 and the oneX was free. i preferred the S3, but couldn't see the point of paying for it.

if people really want the phone i'd say wiat a few months once the rush has died down they usually drop on contract price.

More on the LTE in the UK:

Mobile operator O2 is in discussions with communications regulator Ofcom to bring the timeline of the much anticipated 4G auction forward, in what will be seen as an attempt to fight off competition from rival brand EE. The news comes shortly after it was revealed that Apple's latest iPhone offering will support EE's soon to be rolled out LTE network, which will operate on 1800MHz spectrum. EE is Everything Everywhere's newly launched 4G brand.

An O2 spokesman told Computerworld UK: "Yes, we are in discussions to bring the timeline forward."

EE was last month granted regulatory approval to use its existing 1800MHz spectrum to launch 4G services in the UK this year, several months ahead of its rivals who are currently waiting to buy 800MHz and 2.6GHz spectrum in an auction that is due to begin by December. The three other mobile operators in the UK are currently locked in legal battles over the guidelines of the spectrum auction and have been further angered by EE's head-start.

Apple's iPhone 5 will not support the 800MHz and 2.6GHz auctioned spectrum, however, O2 will be able to offer 4G services on other enabled handsets on the market. EE's rivals are concerned that if EE is the only operator on the market to be selling 4G services it will attract a lot of their customers, who could then be tied into contracts for 24 months. However, the spectrum auction has been delayed for over a year and all of the mobile operators will have to settle their legal disputes quickly if they wish to catch up with EE's rollout.

To confuse matters further, EE has agreed to sell 2X15MHz of its 1800MHz spectrum to Three, which was agreed as part of European competition rules when Orange and T-Mobile formed to become the single Everything Everywhere brand. Although it hasn't been confirmed that Three intends to use this spectrum for 4G services on the iPhone but it is a possibility that is likely to further anger Vodafone and O2.

Had issues trying to book my phone with Vodafone. Telephoned them instead, delivery 21st Sep

32gig

Unlimited calls

Unlimited Text

2gig of data

Offered the phone at £209 but due to web issues said £150.

Can't moan at that!

Edit - forgot to add, £37pm inclusive of VAT.

Had issues trying to book my phone with Vodafone. Telephoned them instead, delivery 21st Sep

32gig

Unlimited calls

Unlimited Text

2gig of data

Offered the phone at £209 but due to web issues said £150.

Can't moan at that!

Edit - forgot to add, £37pm inclusive of VAT.

Bought mine from Apple, 64GB, black, just called three to order the nanosim...