Keyser's Mini Adventure. Update 30th June

Keyser

Good evening :blush:

Errr were should I start hmmmmmmmmmmm........................

OK a few have noted in the past that I have a small predisposition towards allowing a very small amount of scope creep into some of my projects - I think a little bit may have slipped in :lol: more on that in a moment -

So we went for a road trip yesterday to collect my £27.00 body kit :) Tried that on tonight - I think we can make it work :thumbs:

DSCF2540.jpg

DSCF2541.jpg

bit of fibre glass some tiger seal and filler it will be good as new.

Now we did a bit of inspection work on the Mini looking for rust and we found some -

DSCF2527.jpg

DSCF2528.jpg

DSCF2529.jpg

DSCF2530.jpg

DSCF2531.jpg

Also the floor pan at the front both drivers and passenger side is very week, it would pass an MOT as its not rusted through but in a crash it would offer very little or no protection and my daughter will be driving this and I want her as safe as possible.

So with strengthening in mind I started to price up all the replacement panels that I would need to properly repair the shell and even at £10 - £100 a panel it doesn't take long to spend a good few hundred pounds! :scare:

I thought is there a better way?? So I started looking at new shells - no chance in the thousands!

scrap mini's?? No most are in worse condition than the one I have - then it happened (here comes the scope creep) I found it on eBay did some calculations on the back of my fag packet made a phone call and look what came home after tonight's little road trip ...................

DSCF2532.jpg

DSCF2533.jpg

DSCF2536.jpg

DSCF2542.jpg

DSCF2543.jpg

:lol:

This is an abandoned project for F1000 Rallying and has -

Both outer sills removed and new ones welded

Inner sill and floors repaired and strengthened

Scraped of seam sealer and Under seal and been extensively seem welded

Under floor has been body shultzed white

Fitted with FIA roll cage with cross diagonal it comes with door bars but they are not fitted

Fitted with front Sill axle stands

The rear seat bulkhead has been sealed to MSA regs for firewalling.

Battery cable has been routed inside to centre for Battery switch

Front to rear brake pipe is fitted inside of car and plumbed to Bias valve on rear seat base out of the reach of driver as per F1000 rules.

Late type servo brake pedal box is fitted

Rewired to eliminate all the not essential wire ie radio heated window etc

GB 10" alloy wheels

late rear spaced drums

Quick rack fitted

New track rod ends

Front sub frame has been plated and stitch welded

Front top and bottom Poly mounts

Front tie rods are std fitted with poly bushes.

Rear sub frame has been plated and welded

Rear poly bushes

Some pics from the seller

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Now when that comes along at a few quid more than the panels I needed ... well no brainer really .... rally car anyone?? :lol:

The cage may be removed, I want to keep it for safety but the insurance companies don't like them, I will also probably get half my money back on the shell if I sell it :thumbs:

The seam welding has made the shell stronger and it's been plated and strengthened throughout but never used, it needs a lot of finishing and obviously all the parts from the current Mini moved over but I think it's a right good result and a great base to build up from.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode .....................................

Keep the cage if you can, its not easy to get them on their roof, but if it is managed they do have a habit of crumpling like an empty fag packet. roll cage in makes minis 100% safer.

great find though will save you so much ball ache with the rust. easy thing to do with them if rust is bad is take shell of and strip car right back to chassis any way, so you would have had to have taken it all apart any way. this will give you a brillinat base for the car and something that will last for a long time.

refurb the engine as stock is a good idea, keeps the insurance low to start with but then you will have a great car and engine that she can mod in the future. as she earns her no claims etc and gets experience she can start to mod up the car. and you'll have given her the perfect platform to start on. a great thing for future father daughter projects. :thumbs:

and i too am looking forward to followingf this more than zed stuff i love interesting car projects :teeth:

Hello again, the update would have been sooner but Photobucket wouldn't let me upload until tonight??? :bangin:

Anyhow what's been going on or actually coming off :lol:

Fronts coming apart - more rust

DSCF2545.jpg

Started removing the dash

DSCF2552.jpg

DSCF2553.jpg

more from the front

DSCF2558.jpg

The pile gets bigger :lol:

DSCF2559.jpg

These things had bolts on so they came out as well - I'll work out what they do later

DSCF2560.jpg

So the front is empty

DSCF2564.jpg

The inside is getting there

DSCF2565.jpg

Then Buster mini showed up

DSCF2566.jpg

He is so heavy he collapsed the front suspension :scare:

DSCF2567.jpg

So we moved it outside

DSCF2570.jpg

:lol:

One for the bad parking thread

DSCF2571.jpg

Bob resumed his normal position

DSCF2572.jpg

while I took the front sub frame apart

DSCF2573.jpg

The back one has seen better days

DSCF2574.jpg

So that left a shell

DSCF2575.jpg

(soon to be found on eBay) :lol:

and a pile of bits

DSCF2576.jpg

Had a good clean up and as usual the Ginger Ninja slipped in for some TLC (under tray repairs as he rolls so LOW)

DSCF2578.jpg

"The Bitch" nipped in and out for a quick wheel change (back onto road tyres) :thumbs:

DSCF2579.jpg

and part 2 of the Mini project moved into the ZedShed :thumbs:

DSCF2580.jpg

May pop out tomorrow but

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode ..............................

No offence intended but I'm genuinely more interested in this one than the zed thread! :snack:

No offence taken I'm happy you and others actually take the time to read my threads, getting feedback and opinions (positive and negative) is great - maybe I should get out more :blush:

But out of interest why? Jus different, a passion for Mini's or because brining this one back to life is going to be a real challenge?

It's because Ricey likes girls cars ;)

I just like girls:)

Good evening,

Back at the Mini again today started by stripping the new shell

DSCF2584_zps19b4841f.jpg

I also want to improve a few of the welds done when the previous owner plated and strengthened the car

DSCF2585_zps6c2ba3d1.jpg

The next problem is that the roll cage is fitted errr ........ let's just say not to my satisfaction, he has added so much plating that it hits the roof

DSCF2586_zps2ce1826f.jpg

so much so that it has dented it (hard to see but its dented!)

DSCF2589_zpsa5eb282c.jpg

so stripped the engine bay

DSCF2591_zps53ddac00.jpg

then the car, including the roll cage

DSCF2592_zps645560f4.jpg

DSCF2593_zpsb20951d4.jpg

had a word with the insurance company and its only a few quid more so it stays :yahoo:

So with that in mind I cut it up :lol:

DSCF2594_zps442b5d8c.jpg

then we started putting the cage back in and tack welding it in place

DSCF2597_zps1711e86a.jpg

then Buster showed up to help Kat (my daughters nickname) with the Mini

DSCF2599_zps5bfa697a.jpg

But you know Buster he was soon lining up for a centre driving position

DSCF2600_zps5705e075.jpg

then he just got silly :bangin:

DSCF2601_zpsd26e112a.jpg

anyway when he had that out of his system we got the centre loop in the right place

DSCF2602_zps0586d8b1.jpg

tack welded the other bars back in

DSCF2603_zps7a2a5467.jpg

and last thing pulled it all out ready to weld it properly :thumbs:

DSCF2604_zps1b0850a4.jpg

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode ..........................

Looking good!

As regards the brake thing, if I remember rightly it is a front/rear proportioning valve. Very first car was my mums old 850 mini. Brings back fond memories. Couldn't afford alloys so got my mate to split the steel rims and weld in a steel strip to widen them. seemed a good idea at the time........Miracle I didn't kill myself :lol: Then massive Cibie spotlights that got brighter the faster you went. ( only had a dynamo not alternator ) Then brush painted the car black and spent hours doing a chequered roof. ( no vinyl wraps in those days :p ) My poor mother!

Keep up the good work!!!

Looking good!

As regards the brake thing, if I remember rightly it is a front/rear proportioning valve. Very first car was my mums old 850 mini. Brings back fond memories. Couldn't afford alloys so got my mate to split the steel rims and weld in a steel strip to widen them. seemed a good idea at the time........Miracle I didn't kill myself :lol: Then massive Cibie spotlights that got brighter the faster you went. ( only had a dynamo not alternator ) Then brush painted the car black and spent hours doing a chequered roof. ( no vinyl wraps in those days :p ) My poor mother!

Keep up the good work!!!

Happy days :thumbs:My mum still has a bonnet from my 105E in her garage :wacko: