Olympics??

taffyjason

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I am far more impressed than I thought I would be. We have not let the side down and I'm being reminded just how much we have to be proud of in Britain and how much we have given to the world.

Here's to you Britain :thumbs:

+1, although we only watched upto the athlete's parade. However to be a bit cotraversial, i kinda agree with George (Gman) with respect to the value of the event. The current estimated cost, including upgrading public transport links for the events etc., is (depending which news site you read) anywhere between £20 and £24bn. Which puts it upto 10 times higher than the 2005 initial estimate. http://goo.gl/S07Wg With one site stating

A report by VISA predicts an increase in consumer spending of $1.2bn during the games and a $8bn stimulus to the British economy over three years.

:shrug:

With regards to the ceremony - it was a marvelous sight to see, but who chose all the music program? Tinie Tempah? Chemical Brothers? Surely the Rolling Stones woulds have made a bigger impact? Or some of our other home grown talent that has been around for more than a few years - Robert Plant/Jimmy Page, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd (could have used their lighting rig - would probably been cheaper ;) ), The Who, Eric Clapton, Elton John (you know - the true internatioally known stars). God even Cliff Richards is more well known than half the acts they played

The acts were local to the area, which is why they were put on for a bit longer than others as far as I could see.

Just to confirm to the Daily Mail readers what the VISA report is, it is just a measurement of consumer spending NOT a measurement of any sort of foreign investment or any other macro economic stimulus - it only measures the increase in day to day spending of consumers. It would not measure for instance a corporation like Toyota, opening a plant in Britain, pumping money into the economy and creating thousands of jobs of which people in the local area would take up and in turn pay tax to the government, which in turn is used to improve the countrys welfare.

Like I said before, its short-term-ism that got the world into this mess, the more people try and understand the longer term benefits as well as the less tangible benefits that drive an economy the more we can appreciate what is happening here.

:lol: Daily Mail, missed the point blah blah blah :lol:

Just saw some cyclist, the best in the world apparently at sprinting, blame the Aussies, the rest of the world and wanted a fight with a BBC "journalist, just because he was beaten by someone faster :bangin: , laughed my head off at that.

Brilliant :lol:

Oh and there are 26 hd channels, actually :p

Frankie Boyle rools :lol:

Good to see an that there's already an investigation into empty seats, some government minister has said it was due to "corporate" ticket holders not turning up, hope none of you were disappointed by failing to secure any tickets.

Anyway enjoy, it can only get better. Probably nice in Portugaul :lol:

With regards to the ceremony - it was a marvelous sight to see, but who chose all the music program? Tinie Tempah? Chemical Brothers? Surely the Rolling Stones woulds have made a bigger impact? Or some of our other home grown talent that has been around for more than a few years - Robert Plant/Jimmy Page, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd (could have used their lighting rig - would probably been cheaper ;) ), The Who, Eric Clapton, Elton John (you know - the true internatioally known stars). God even Cliff Richards is more well known than half the acts they played

Glad you weren't choosing the music :lol:

Just to confirm to the Daily Mail readers what the VISA report is, it is just a measurement of consumer spending NOT a measurement of any sort of foreign investment or any other macro economic stimulus - it only measures the increase in day to day spending of consumers. It would not measure for instance a corporation like Toyota, opening a plant in Britain, pumping money into the economy and creating thousands of jobs of which people in the local area would take up and in turn pay tax to the government, which in turn is used to improve the countrys welfare.

100% agree Colin, but, any industry/corporation growth shouldn't be measured in the report IMO. Call me naive, but, i thought that the Government were supposed to lobby for this on an ongoing basis for the purpose of creating jobs/careers and lowering the unemployed figures, thus improving the countrys welfare :shrug: But in addition to that it has been public knowledge for some time now that

The cost of hosting the Olympics has skyrocketed while private funders have evaporated.

Source - The Guardian 04/04/12

For those interested, the report is here http://www.visaeurope.com/en/newsroom/olympics_impact_report.aspx

Glad you weren't choosing the music :lol:

Luke, the point i was trying to make with that comment is the the UK has much more internationally famous/influential musical acts they could have used compared to those who were there. Using acts like Tinie Tempah is not what i would call the best representation of British musical talent :shrug:

If anyone put cliff on a stage in front of me the Archery and rifle games would begin early ;)

:lol: Daily Mail, missed the point blah blah blah :lol:

Just saw some cyclist, the best in the world apparently at sprinting, blame the Aussies, the rest of the world and wanted a fight with a BBC "journalist, just because he was beaten by someone faster :bangin: , laughed my head off at that.

Brilliant :lol:

Oh and there are 26 hd channels, actually :p

Frankie Boyle rools :lol:

Good to see an that there's already an investigation into empty seats, some government minister has said it was due to "corporate" ticket holders not turning up, hope none of you were disappointed by failing to secure any tickets.

Anyway enjoy, it can only get better. Probably nice in Portugaul :lol:

+1. How dare anyone beat the "empire" give me a break.

The Scottish don't need fancy expensive games to make us feel proud. We just are :p

Yes Gball, it shouldn't be measured in the VISA report, problem is you get all the doom mongers tot up the cost of the games and quote £40b (even though some of that cost was going to be spent regardless of the games coming or not) vs the sums of circa £7b in the VISA report and come to the basic but most likely incorrect conclusion that it won't recover the cost :doh:

there are many things in the UK that would never have happened if we hadn't paid for it or picke dup the tab as a country.

- Concorde would have flopped and rusted.

- the NHS would have been buried years ago (and this is a continual money pit on the economy)

- a banking system (like it or not if we hadn't bailed it out we'd probably be even deeper in the crap)

love it or hate it the olympics are now here. although complaining is fun it can;t turn the clock back, so you might as well sit back and enjoy the sport. you paid for it after all ;)

there are many things in the UK that would never have happened if we hadn't paid for it or picke dup the tab as a country.

- Concorde would have flopped and rusted.Yes, but during the cost of development was spread between Britain and France. It was also at a time when Britain was still a world leader in engineering and manufacturing industries, therefore showcasing our skills for the world to see :thumbs: .

- the NHS would have been buried years ago (and this is a continual money pit on the economy)100% agree, but again that is a perk we can all receive via paying taxes. Unfortunately, none of the Goverments from the last 10-12 years (timescale when S£$t really hit the fan) have had the balls to stop giving junkies free drugs to "help" them :bang: or kick out illegal immigrants who without paying taxes or NI contributions, have been allowed to milk the system meaning higher running costs and higher taxes for us. Meanwhile, making us the laughingstock of Europe.

- a banking system (like it or not if we hadn't bailed it out we'd probably be even deeper in the crap)Again, 100% agree, but again, the Government looks like it does not want to stop the fat cats from giving themselves ridiculous bonuses - even when their establishments lose money :angry: . I'm sure if i was running a business and lost the amount of money these guys did, i wouldn't be expecting a bonus.

love it or hate it the olympics are now here. although complaining is fun it can;t turn the clock back, so you might as well sit back and enjoy the sport. you paid for it after all ;)

I'm not a big lover of watching sports :sleep: and won't be watching (honestly - who watches weightlifting, water polo, fencing on a regular basis) but do wish all the athletes the best of luck. What i still can't understand is why the BBC has to show 15 hours plus on the main channels (BBC1&2 combined) when they have set up 20+(subsidised)additional channels purely to cover these events.

I've been watching the gymnastics most of the day, aside from the fact I'm watching fit ladeez not wearing much it's been fascinating to watch. GB did much better than expected (sitting 2nd as I speak), but the USA are just miles ahead in terms of points and technique.

Jo wants to watch the swimming later, but I may try and fit some more beach volleyball in after. Tried watching the judo yesterday, but it was terminally dull.

Sitting watching just now. Brazil vs Germany in the beach volleyball...... B)

I've been enjoying it but haven't been impressed with lineker. Every time he opens his mouth he sounds like a bitter ignorant idiot. It's a shame as BBC really are doing a great job!

As an example, I was watching the other night and he said 'and you'll be glad to know that Germany haven't got any medals yet!' - errrrrrrmmmmmm why? Because Germany have a superior football team to England? Because we had a war? Sorry but there is no place for comments like that within the BBC or on the Olympic stage. Disgraceful comment in my opinion.

Sitting watching just now. Brazil vs Germany in the beach volleyball...... B)

I've been enjoying it but haven't been impressed with lineker. Every time he opens his mouth he sounds like a bitter ignorant idiot. It's a shame as BBC really are doing a great job!

As an example, I was watching the other night and he said 'and you'll be glad to know that Germany haven't got any medals yet!' - errrrrrrmmmmmm why? Because Germany have a superior football team to England? Because we had a war? Sorry but there is no place for comments like that within the BBC or on the Olympic stage. Disgraceful comment in my opinion.

This goes back to my whole thing abou people saying Britain has an empire. It's stupid it's nostalgic and it's counter productive for the country. Someone described the opening ceromony that England is a country looking forwards and secure in its post empire status. But considering the way alot of people think id disagree. A lot of its just pettyness and that's not what the olympics is about IMO.