New SLK...?

marzman

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The business manager wasn't in so a salesman took my card and promised someone would call me today. They haven't so that particular dealership won't be getting my order. If that salesman worked for me he would be up for a disciplinary tommorow. This is a customer service business and salesman that don't phone customers back are in the wrong job.

BMW did that to me.

I was in there to ask about a Turquoise 320d Convertible I'd seen.

Told me to wait on the leather seats and a sale guy would come over. He came over after five mins and told me he would be right back. Forty five mins later I was still sitting there. I was seething. I wanted the car but refused to go back. Two weeks later I bought my Kuro 350z :headhurt:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8739&hilit=320d+convertible&start=15

I was up at 5am. :p

I hadn't even bought my first zed at that point so I didn't know the aural pleasures that are out there ;)

Now, I couldn't think of anything worse than having the roof down listening to a transit van diesel chucking soot out of the rear end :yuck:

There's only two reasons to buy a soft top in my opinion, the sun and the noise. We now get **** all sun so driving a diesel soft top sounds like the worst idea in the world to me :lol:

I dunno, diesel cars these days don't really make tractor noises anymore. Even my truck makes a fairly entertaining (albeit harsh) note when you're really ragging it, and that's just a 3L four pot with a single turbo.

I would never buy one, pretty much for the noise reason alone, but I can see why others would. :)

But are they?

How many people actually buy a convertible to drive hard and enjoy having the roof down when doing so, and many people buy one just to look cool and waft around in? Even on here, more people buy the Zed because of how it looks rather than how it drives, and we're all car nuts so I suspect the number of poseurs out there is significantly higher! If you can get the pose-factor along with a solid MPG and are never going to be interested in chasing the redline, then I can't see why you'd buy the petrol over the diesel.

But are they?

How many people actually buy a convertible to drive hard and enjoy having the roof down when doing so, and many people buy one just to look cool and waft around in? Even on here, more people buy the Zed because of how it looks rather than how it drives, and we're all car nuts so I suspect the number of poseurs out there is significantly higher! If you can get the pose-factor along with a solid MPG and are never going to be interested in chasing the redline, then I can't see why you'd buy the petrol over the diesel.

Because it sounds like @*!#.

If MPG is even a factor you shouldn't be buying a drop top. Think of the extra weight ;)

You hit the nail on the head Dan. What I originally typed was along the lines of "diesel 2 seaters are for people who don't really care about cars" but I was worried it came across as a bit of an insult to Marzman. So, Marzman, no offense and I'm sure the car makes sense to you :thumbs:

But are they?

Spot on :thumbs:

Because it sounds like @*!#.

If MPG is even a factor you shouldn't be buying a drop top. Think of the extra weight ;)

Have you heard the SLK? Does it sound like @*!#? But even if it does sound like @*!#, the noise inst a huge issue for me as i cant say i ever drive without having loud music on - so aural pleasure is not what im after (not oral, SMD before you start :p )

You hit the nail on the head Dan. What I originally typed was along the lines of "diesel 2 seaters are for people who don't really care about cars" but I was worried it came across as a bit of an insult to Marzman. So, Marzman, no offense and I'm sure the car makes sense to you :thumbs:

Yep that would have been an insult to me... :) Cars are probably my biggest passion in life, so the fact that i would like a diesel does not mean that i dont care about cars. :surrender:

I rarely drive my zed as a) i dont like getting it dirty and B) i hate paying for fuel. I drive my girlfriends fiesta most of the time, which is just stupid. If my zed got me 56mpg however, im sure i would drive it a lot more - and yes, i would sacrifice the lovely sounds of my nismo exhaust for that mpg.

I dont think anyone here's driven the new SLK yet, so it could knock spots off the zed for all we know (im sure it wont however :lol: ) so to say it's stupid to consider it is a shortsighted comment. (not aimed at you Leeroy, or anyone, im just saying).

Also the zed isnt a sports car and isnt really that quick, so im not anticipating it to be a huge step down in terms of performance - but i could be wrong.

As I don't have a zed, I'm not comparing it to one as such.

Even just driving a diesel compared to petrol is completely different. You have to change up so early. I've never driven ANY diesel that I would consider fun to drive. It's a chore.

Soft top driving is all about indulging the senses with sun and exhaust notes etc. Diesels have there place as dailly hacks where the 56 mpg is warranted but a two seater drop top is like trying to have your cake and eat it.

I think you will become very bored very quickly of showing everyone how many miles you got out of your last tank of diesel :p

showing everyone how many miles you got out of your last tank of diesel petrol :p

I do this for the Z - everyone appears gobsmacked that I get 27/28 to the gallon :boxing: does this count ?

Even just driving a diesel compared to petrol is completely different. You have to change up so early. I've never driven ANY diesel that I would consider fun to drive. It's a chore.

Soft top driving is all about indulging the senses with sun and exhaust notes etc. Diesels have there place as dailly hacks where the 56 mpg is warranted but a two seater drop top is like trying to have your cake and eat it.

I think you will become very bored very quickly of showing everyone how many miles you got out of your last tank of diesel :p

My Lancer = Sarnie correct.

Doesn't matter if your only paying £300 insurance, £150 tax and getting 500 miles to a take........when all's said and done its still an oil burner! :dry:

My Lancer = Sarnie correct.

Doesn't matter if your only paying £300 insurance, £150 tax and getting 500 miles to a take........when all's said and done its still an oil burner! :dry:

My Alfa GT JTDm is a great car too, but I certainly don't enjoy driving it like I did my zeds, the G or the M3 for obvious reasons. It's practical and economical, which is Diesel's niche if you ask me. Not two seater soft tops.....