New SLK...?

marzman

As I don't have a zed, I'm not comparing it to one as such.

Even just driving a diesel compared to petrol is completely different. You have to change up so early. I've never driven ANY diesel that I would consider fun to drive. It's a chore.

Soft top driving is all about indulging the senses with sun and exhaust notes etc. Diesels have there place as dailly hacks where the 56 mpg is warranted but a two seater drop top is like trying to have your cake and eat it.

I think you will become very bored very quickly of showing everyone how many miles you got out of your last tank of diesel :p

My Lancer = Sarnie correct.

Doesn't matter if your only paying £300 insurance, £150 tax and getting 500 miles to a take........when all's said and done its still an oil burner! :dry:

My Alfa GT JTDm is a great car too, but I certainly don't enjoy driving it like I did my zeds, the G or the M3 for obvious reasons. It's practical and economical, which is Diesel's niche if you ask me. Not two seater soft tops.....

IMO Diesel cars are work vehicles and vans

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I don't have a zed, I'm not comparing it to one as such.

Even just driving a diesel compared to petrol is completely different. You have to change up so early. I've never driven ANY diesel that I would consider fun to drive. It's a chore.

Soft top driving is all about indulging the senses with sun and exhaust notes etc. Diesels have there place as dailly hacks where the 56 mpg is warranted but a two seater drop top is like trying to have your cake and eat it.

I think you will become very bored very quickly of showing everyone how many miles you got out of your last tank of diesel :p

Pop over to mine dude and I bet I can make you change your mind with the old boys car :thumbs:

My Lancer = Sarnie correct.

Doesn't matter if your only paying £300 insurance, £150 tax and getting 500 miles to a take........when all's said and done its still an oil burner! :dry:

My Alfa GT JTDm is a great car too, but I certainly don't enjoy driving it like I did my zeds, the G or the M3 for obvious reasons. It's practical and economical, which is Diesel's niche if you ask me. Not two seater soft tops.....

IMO Diesel cars are work vehicles and vans

Aye :thumbs:

Dont be silly liam... but the point that neil was making.. was all diesels should be working cars or vans etc. Would I prefer the petrol.... probably... however the car is quiet and packs a punch. If it was my every day car then I would actually take the D. But I would then have a toy for the weekends :lol:

When my back is fixed, I'm going to go drive one of these for the hell of it.

I like to listen to my engine and that's the whole reason I wouldn't buy one. A sports far should sound sexy, not rough like a van

I like to listen to my engine and that's the whole reason I wouldn't buy one. A sports far should sound sexy, not rough like a van

I agree, but I'm not convinced the SLK will sound rough nor is a sports car :lol:

Sounds alright to me.

10k over 24 months, not much scope for fun is it :shrug: What's the pence per mile penalty!!!? :scare:

You failed to spot the major fun factor killer - the SLK isnt petrol ;):stir:

Having just picked this up, I was told it's petrol

P1010923.jpg

P1010924.jpg

So i stopped in at my local Mercedes dealership on the way home, and the SLK had pride of place in the center of the showroom. I've got to say, i was pretty much blown away by the looks of it B)

Sitting in it, it felt like a really nice place to be. Everything about it was just luxury. I came out with a stupid grin on my face :D

I've scheduled a test drive for saturday lunch time in the 250d so i'll report back on how it goes.

...and i dont want any 'I told you so' comments afterwards... :lol: i've never diven a diesel before so I may be totally disappointed by it.

@ this moment, I have this on hire, till my Z gets repaired (brand spanking new with 76 miles on the clock)

What do you think of it mate? How is it to drive, and hows the ride?

It's certainly a step up in refinement, but as for looks, I'd go for the Z any day

From the symbol on the dash it looks like it makes a nice cup of tea :thumbs:

there seems to be plenty of gizmo's to play with, but as for the symbol, your guess is as good as mine.

maybe, it stops abruptly, and won't start again till you've had a break and had a cup of tea. :)

@ this moment, I have this on hire, till my Z gets repaired (brand spanking new with 76 miles on the clock)

What do you think of it mate? How is it to drive, and hows the ride?

It's certainly a step up in refinement, but as for looks, I'd go for the Z any day

I've discovered this pic, so could be having second thoughts, on the looks front.

I think it's the grey, that's putting me off.

602629_456955127663083_1133579051_n.jpg

Sounds alright to me.

Better than an F10 M5. :)