New SLK...?

marzman

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well guys, im so happy right now!

I went for the test drive and.... i hated it!!!!

They didnt have the 250 Diesel in stock as it had been leant to a lady customer who had retracted the roof on her car, and while it was going down managed to drive it into something and break it :surrender:

So i went out in the 250 petrol with the agreement that i could take out a 250 diesel C-Class just to feel the difference. Straight away i hated it. It sounded dreadful (and this is the petrol model!!), it was really cramped inside, but worst of all there was a horrible squeak from the back of the seat as i had to have it all the way back to fit in, and it rubbed on whatever was behind it constantly. There were also various other rattles throughout the interior.

In terms of driving, i was very disappointed. It had the 7-speed auto box and it just couldnt find the right gear most of the time. I'd go to put my foot down and have to wait about 3 seconds before it kicked down. :dry: Towards the end of the drive the salesman said 'Oh, we've been in Eco mode' which i can only assume was to blame. I switched it to full manual mode and it was much better in the end.

So the verdict when i got back to the show room was that i was disappointed, and the car was far too small for me.

So... onto the C250 Diesel AMG Sport Plus that i took out. Instantly i felt more at home... The cabin felt really nice, and the LCD screen for the speedo was mint. B) Again this was the 7-speed auto with paddle shifts box, so i stuck it straight into manual and it was brilliant. Power delivery was okay... a little hard to predict where the torque curve was as i guess the turbo's took a little while to kick in, but once it was going it was really satisfying.

By the end of the drive, i was really hankering after this car, but obviously wouldnt have been making any kind of decision today - however i went back to the dealership and sat with them looking at prices.

The AMG C250 was roughly £35k which was the same price as the SLK, however the monthly cost was significantly more one PCP. They wanted £1800 deposit plus 35 monthly payments of £420 which was far far more than i want to be paying.

So... moral of the story is... the SLK is gash, but i want the C-Class for my next car - but not on PCP. :D

Well guys, im so happy right now!

I went for the test drive and.... i hated it!!!!

They didnt have the 250 Diesel in stock as it had been leant to a lady customer who had retracted the roof on her car, and while it was going down managed to drive it into something and break it :surrender:

So i went out in the 250 petrol with the agreement that i could take out a 250 diesel C-Class just to feel the difference. Straight away i hated it. It sounded dreadful (and this is the petrol model!!), it was really cramped inside, but worst of all there was a horrible squeak from the back of the seat as i had to have it all the way back to fit in, and it rubbed on whatever was behind it constantly. There were also various other rattles throughout the interior.

In terms of driving, i was very disappointed. It had the 7-speed auto box and it just couldnt find the right gear most of the time. I'd go to put my foot down and have to wait about 3 seconds before it kicked down. :dry: Towards the end of the drive the salesman said 'Oh, we've been in Eco mode' which i can only assume was to blame. I switched it to full manual mode and it was much better in the end.

So the verdict when i got back to the show room was that i was disappointed, and the car was far too small for me.

So... onto the C250 Diesel AMG Sport Plus that i took out. Instantly i felt more at home... The cabin felt really nice, and the LCD screen for the speedo was mint. B) Again this was the 7-speed auto with paddle shifts box, so i stuck it straight into manual and it was brilliant. Power delivery was okay... a little hard to predict where the torque curve was as i guess the turbo's took a little while to kick in, but once it was going it was really satisfying.

By the end of the drive, i was really hankering after this car, but obviously wouldnt have been making any kind of decision today - however i went back to the dealership and sat with them looking at prices.

The AMG C250 was roughly £35k which was the same price as the SLK, however the monthly cost was significantly more one PCP. They wanted £1800 deposit plus 35 monthly payments of £420 which was far far more than i want to be paying.

So... moral of the story is... the SLK is gash, but i want the C-Class for my next car - but not on PCP. :D

I told you :lol:

The C class has awesome balance and really lets you get away with murder. Id love a c63 :cloud9:

I had a C220 (I think) as a loaner when the 911 broke, and it completely changed my perception on Mercs. Best seats in a car ever, pliable suspension and even the paddles allowed for the gearbox to be fun, although not a patch on a proper dual-clutch 'box. I really loved it. :cloud9:

• 2 weeks later...

Test drive is all arranged for next Wednesday, in an actual diesel SLK. I'm driving three cars that day: The new Boxster, the GT86, then the SLK. Shoud be good fun :)

Cool... Looking forward to your thoughts on he gt86

So am I. Luckily it's the manual car I've got, so the 'right' spec if such a thing exists. I'm hoping the Boxster will be the 2.7 manual car as well, that would make for a very interesting comparison.

Test drive is all arranged for next Wednesday, in an actual diesel SLK. I'm driving three cars that day: The new Boxster, the GT86, then the SLK. Shoud be good fun :)

I had a sit in the GT86 at Goodwood and I have to say the driving position and location of controls was excellent. The quality of the interior was poor though, lots of cheap plastic.

Here's a scary though: What if it's really good?

:lol: Maybe it'll re-write the rules?

It'll have loads of torque.

It may handle well.

It will be nice inside.

It's definitely nice outside.

Equipment will be sufficient, maybe.

The engine might sound interesting, and you may even judge it to sound good. But then you'll realise that assessment was against previously driven diesels - you'll remind yourself of your favourite petrol engine acoustics and decide it isn't actually good at all :lol:

I am actually hanging out for someone who knows what they are talking about to go drive a GT86, all I hear is people who dont have a chance of ever buying one telling me how much better they are than a 370/Cayman/etc.

How they know this when they havent driven the 370/Cayman/etc., never mind the GT86 I dont know :bangin:

I don't expect the 86 to be anywhere near a Cayman, but if it can get close to the Zed then that'll be a result. Trouble is most of my Cayman experience is with the R which I've driven extensively, so it's incredibly unfair of me to compare an 86 to that. Still, if Toyota wants to aim high in the future, then that's the target...

Just hoping for sunshine in the morning with the Boxster, then some rain around lunch for the 86, then more sunshine for the SLK and the Boxster again in the afternoon! :lol:

Kind of on topic but I have just came back from a week in Portugal where we had 120d for the week.

To be fair to it it really suprised me as I expected to hate it. Bags of low down torque, very quiet and smooth and averaged about 50mpg. I would have been hard pushed to guess whether it was diesel from just driving and listening to it. I must admit I was starting to think about having a look at them when I got back home......until towards the end of the week I wanted set it on fire!! It was sooooooooooooo slow when pulling away, I thought we were towing a plane!! Once that set it I started to hate almost everything about it again :lol:

Kind of on topic but I have just came back from a week in Portugal where we had 120d for the week.

To be fair to it it really suprised me as I expected to hate it. Bags of low down torque, very quiet and smooth and averaged about 50mpg. I would have been hard pushed to guess whether it was diesel from just driving and listening to it. I must admit I was starting to think about having a look at them when I got back home......until towards the end of the week I wanted set it on fire!! It was sooooooooooooo slow when pulling away, I thought we were towing a plane!! Once that set it I started to hate almost everything about it again :lol:

But a bigger engine and it'd be ok.... 335d.

It just depends on what constitutes 'ok' for you.

If you mean 'ok' as in a great car, that is pretty quick, economic and can fit a family in then yes.

If you mean 'ok' as in a potentially better proposition than the petrol equivalent, then nope. it gets very tiring changing up at 4k revs! It's like driving a car like an S2K but with short gear ratios meaning you have to change up at 4k.....not good.

I really think cars like the 335d are in such a bizarre niche imo....

It just depends on what constitutes 'ok' for you.

If you mean 'ok' as in a great car, that is pretty quick, economic and can fit a family in then yes.

If you mean 'ok' as in a potentially better proposition than the petrol equivalent, then nope. it gets very tiring changing up at 4k revs! It's like driving a car like an S2K but with short gear ratios meaning you have to change up at 4k.....not good.

I really think cars like the 335d are in such a bizarre niche imo....

I dont think it's a bizarre niche... i think it's the future. I for one would go for a car that looks and handles the same, but is twice as economical as the petrol equivalent - assuming it's comparable in performance. If acceleration, top speed and torque are all on par then the only compromise you're making for the increased economy is slightly reduced aural pleasure and just having to use a different driving style. Not for everyone i know, but i would sacrifice this for the money savings.

I was listening to something on radio4. A man was saying that air quality is actually worse now than before. Smog before was visible but with more and more diesels Nox emissions are rising. They can lead to bronchitis and other diseases. So interesting to see where diesels will go.

I do agree that diesels can be good but I'd rather a 335i. If I was doing a daily grind and needed max mpg then that's fine but the noise and the revs and so on is more important to me than power/speed. But you can compromise.