Toyota FT 86

Stretch

Sat in one at goodwood. Have to say it was rather nice. Very comfortable seats and nice interior. Felt very sporty while sat in the driving seat. I like the look from the front a lot but not a massive fan of the rear end.

I remember reading a review of the 86 vs the 370 in a recent magazine, it was supposed to be a lot of fun throwing it around the corners but just didnt have the power that the chassis can cope with. 190bhp just wasnt enough.

I assumed its selling point was the price, but when i enquired on saturday by the time you have added on all the extras you would want you are looking at 28k

It's got a glowing review in Autocar when comparing it against the mx5 and 370z, ending the review that it could be "One that could be the best sports car to come out of Japan since the Honda NSX".

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/subaru-brz-vs-nissan-370z-vs-mazda-mx-5

I'm waiting to see what a turbo charged BRZ will be like (and cost!), but I am a fan of the distinctive Subaru burble.

I saw one on the road today and get all excited - i've been looking forward to this car coming out for a couple of years now.

...thats not to say that i want one - i'd rather have my zed - but its just great to see Japanese sports cars coming out again like the days of the celicas/Supras/200sx's etc.

I've have a good look at them, both Subaru and Toyota and I think the Toyota is a bit better looking, especially the front bumper. I'd be interested to know how similar the cars are on the inside, both mechanically and the interior. If the suspension isn't identical, i'd expect the BRZ to handle better and as I haven't sent he interior of the Subaru I can't say 100%, but I expect the interior to be better in the Toyota.

I'm almost 100% sure there will be an STi type model from Subaru which would get my vote over the 86, despite it looking a bit better. But its hard to decide between it and the Zed :shrug:

Wouldn't want to pass judgement on it until I've driven one. To be honest I think some people miss the point about the car, it's a car that's been built for the tuning crowd. It's like a blank canvas. 190bhp might be a bit poor but you can buy this car and drop a turbo straight in to it, tuning parts are cheap!

I like it, well actually I like the idea of it. Good to see a manufacturer going against the grain of over-tyring in favour of a bit of oversteer. EVO mag liked it, they preferred the softer setup of the Toyota over the Scoob but said both lacked power to overcome traction. So a bit of an own goal really considering the design strategy.

I too sat in one at Goodwood, the seating position was excellent with the gearstick in a good position (the 350's is a bit too far back for me, but then I am a giant). The interior quality is awful though and the £25k asking price is ridiculous, I don't see them selling many until it has more power.