Ex-U.K 350z - any gotchas?

politby

Greetings,

My first post here. I live in Sweden and have decided to become a 350z owner. Because of an injury that left my right arm partly incapacitated I am forced to get either an automatic - which means an import from the U.S. and the few available are all with questionable backgrounds - or a right hand drive.

So I am currently looking at 2 cars which originate from the U.K but have been taken to Sweden by their current owners.

What should I be looking at in order to ensure they are okay and have legitimate backgrounds? Is there a facility in the U.K similar to CarFax for checking vehicle history?

The cars are a 2006 coupé and a 2005 roadster.

The ad for the '06 is obviously in Swedish but you can see the pics. Price is ~£10k, it has about 60000 miles on the clock. VIN is JN1GAAZ33U0300489. I expect the price to be negotiable since RHD cara are very hard to sell here.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Yes mate loads of hip check companies......a quick google should throw some up

The gunmetal car looks nice B)

Thanks. They all appear to be based on the registration number, not the VIN so need to get it off the seller.

Is £10k for a 2006 with 60,000 miles reasonable? An otherwise similar but LHD would be about 25% more.

Your other option is to look through UK ads on this forum (or autotrader & pistonheads) and if there are some cars you like see if you can buy one for a fair bit less (can probably get similar amount of car for £8k) and either come over & drive it back or get someone else to drive it across.

Your other option is to look through UK ads on this forum (or autotrader & pistonheads) and if there are some cars you like see if you can buy one for a fair bit less (can probably get similar amount of car for £8k) and either come over & drive it back or get someone else to drive it across.

but don't say that you will arrange your collection agent to collect and here's some money transferred from my account my good brither :lol:

Welcome!

Isnt the 06 coupe manual?! Or am i missing something.

If you can afford to take some time off work i would come over to the UK and import one yourself. You will save around 2k on the car cost, obviously you will need to spend some coming over here and importing the car but 2k goes a long way!

Good luck :)

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Both shortlisted cars are manual and UK-sold. Only 2 auto 350z's on sale in Sweden and both are salvage objects from the U.S shipped over to Lithuania (the only country in the EU where salvage title cars can be registered), patched up using stolen or otherwise questionable parts and re-registered in SE and sold to unsuspecting buyers.

Importing one myself is not a bad idea but I just don't have time. Process is fairly simple but headlamps need to be replaced, proof of origin submitted, and MOT inspection completed. These 2 have

had this done and are already registered so assuming I can haggle a bit about the price I prefer to buy here.

I recently imported a boat from the UK so I have had my share of paperwork for this year. :)

I did get a carfax report on the gunmetal 2006 but it only showed the history post entry into Sweden so it looks like Carfax does not have UK data.

Anyway I will go look at them both on Mo/Tue and with cash in hand a good deal can usually be done on the spot. I like the roadster but the top is only single layer and I expect to be driving it in winter so I am leaning towards the coupé.