Forum elections..

Neilp

I have been on this forum for 8 months and I have found it a great source for information on what is pound for pound the best sports car built. I think it is run pretty well although initially I was almost banned for defending myself but as in sport you have to obey the rule enforcers even if you think they may be wrong at times. I don't beleive that the place of birth of the moderators have any bearing on the decisions they make and they all have the best interests of the forum and the ZED at heart when running this forum. We don't have a mod from NI but that doesn't mean the forum doesn't work for us over here. I have never met any of the people on this forum but I still think of you all as my friends even though I thought that sometimes Lexx could do with a "sense of humour" transplant :yahoo:

I say to the moderators "carry on moderating"

BTW there isn't a day goes past that I don't visit this forum or that I don't jump into my Zed and go for a drive even though I have no need to go anywhere.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NeilP-

If the current forum is not to your taste, why not set your own forum up?

You could be the top leader/mod/ganstarapper of scotishzeds.com

:thumbs:

typical wrongun.....

I never once said that the forum wasn't to my taste and if you read the full thread you would see my opinion! I never once opted to be a leader... If you read my posts you would actually see that I specifically stated that it was not in my interest to become a moderator

NeilP-

If the current forum is not to your taste, why not set your own forum up?

You could be the top leader/mod/ganstarapper of scotishzeds.com

That comment is the type to lead to a :boxing: . Think you may have misunderstood Neil.

Yeah you are right leo... dont worry every dog has its day ..

You out tonight bruv ?

16 pages!

I'd add my drivel to it.

I think everyone is getting a little bit defensive here. NeilP and some of the team. :console:

I'm not saying that to wind anyone up but Im looking from outside the box and this is what it seams to me.

Mods, team and admin. I think your getting defensive because you feel that you all work hard and put your time, effort, blood and tears into this place. You never get a thank you and are blamed for alot of stuff. :lol: Sometimes I bet you think why do I even bother. But when it all going good I bet you guys love it and you have taken the club strength to strength. But look at it from Neil's point of view. The boy is probably on here 20+hours a day. He stuck with his 350z over a 'rari because of this club. This will be more than a forum or an internet club, this is where he can speak to like minded people. One of his social networks. A learning resource and somewhere he can organise meets ans drives to help the club which he enjoys. So you have to see his side.

Neil :p You got to see it from their side too. Like you said you dont want to be a mod cos you know what a pain in the backside it would be. I completely see where your coming from and I'l add my 2p under this but it looked like you was saying you guys suck we want someone else. Now I read all 16 pages and your not even hinting that but thats how it reads on the internet. I bet this was face to face it would have been different but things just read different on the web. These guys muck in and take their own time out to do stuff. They will have kids and jobs and other stuff going on too. You only said what you said not to ruffle feathers but you love this place and want it to be even better. The mods/admin and you are aiming for the same goal but I think its got misunderstood. The club and mods cant be everything to everyone.

This is an awesome forum. There is a few people I like to have banter on here with SMD, Ricey, rt, neilp, keyser, andlid and lots more ( I love you all). I even get decent banter with Dan(ekona) bar mixed tyres :lol: . Because of the times and hours/days I work I cant usually go to meets on weekends and so on but its good that they happen.

Im not saying the mods need help but what happened to Lincolnbaggie. If he isnt on here much can you not demote him and get another person for the mod job. If you mods are less worked you will enjoy coming on here even more. If someone inst pulling their weight get rid and start new.

In Scotland why not have another 2 REO's? Its alot of work for 2 people so why not ease the burden? In England Zee, Woody, Martinopy and Jerry havent visited this site for some months. Some even last year. Can you not find people to do the job or is no one standing up for the job?

My only criticism to the team and not all are that bad but sometimes it may come across authoritarian when someone asks for something and they get shut down and you guys say your busy. Alot of us know how busy you are but I think a little bit of tact would make the no a little less harsh? Alot of us have been here for a good while now and this is my 350z crew. We all behave pretty well and moderate ourselves usually. All we ask which we do get most of the time is a say or input. I know we dont pay or put in hours coding but look at the "other" 350z site.

Im not saying the mods need help but what happened to Lincolnbaggie. If he isnt on here much can you not demote him and get another person for the mod job. If you mods are less worked you will enjoy coming on here even more. If someone inst pulling their weight get rid and start new.

In Scotland why not have another 2 REO's? Its alot of work for 2 people so why not ease the burden? In England Zee, Woody, Martinopy and Jerry havent visited this site for some months. Some even last year. Can you not find people to do the job or is no one standing up for the job?

My only criticism to the team and not all are that bad but sometimes it may come across authoritarian when someone asks for something and they get shut down and you guys say your busy. Alot of us know how busy you are but I think a little bit of tact would make the no a little less harsh? Alot of us have been here for a good while now and this is my 350z crew. We all behave pretty well and moderate ourselves usually. All we ask which we do get most of the time is a say or input. I know we dont pay or put in hours coding but look at the "other" 350z site.

WRT Lincolnbaggie, I belive Neil is busy with work/life etc, but he hasn't been replaced as we seem to be coping ok really, the board is as you say, quite self-moderating most of the time, and we're leaving the space for him to come back if he becomes un-busy.

REOs are the easy bit, if you want to be one please say so! Especially in some of the less well served areas, PM the team and current incumbent and I'm sure we can sort it out.

Lol I wasn't sayings to become an REO. :lol: But if a Scottish member is reading this and wants to give it a bash why not take team up on the offer. As Neil said it's hard for someone to commit full time to being an REO but if their was 2 then less burden on each person. :thumbs:

Having had some time to think about this i had some other ideas that might or might not be good. all the ideas are linked so you need to see them as a whole and not as individual points.

Idea Number 1: A hiring section on the forum

Why not introduce a hiring section on the forum, where current positions like REO can be advertised so people know what needs doing; this could also be used for Mod searching as well. if there is a post available people can add to that post showing their interest and add some kind of CV or application letter explaining why they think they would be suitable for the position (things like age, time free/available, possible future ideas for the forum etc). other members can see what they offer. but the final choice comes down to the team. this would also give an opportunity to have a moderator post section for all those that would like to be considered can throw their hat in. it doesn;t mean that the team have to appoint anyone from there and there may not be a need for anyone at the time, but it would gie the team a selection of people to choose form who would like to do more.

Idea number 2: Trial Moderator position

If there was a need for a new moderator the team could select a group of people from the hiring section who have shown interest. they could have their status changed to "trial moderator". they don't need to have any extra access to the behind the scenes section for the trial period, but what they would have to do is things like using the report post function; but in it they should expalin what they would do if they were a mod. advantages are that the mod team will have problems highlighted quickly and can deal with them straight away. they can see how those people would deal with the situations but they don;t have to relinquish any powers. if at the end of the trial period someone shows potential they could be upgraded to full mod position with all the trimmings. or if the team ae not happy they can say thankyou but no thankyou. put the people back to normal staus and try some others.

not sure what people think but i thought they would good ideas. :shrug:

Having had some time to think about this i had some other ideas that might or might not be good. all the ideas are linked so you need to see them as a whole and not as individual points.

Why not introduce a hiring section on the forum, where current positions like REO can be advertised so people know what needs doing; this could also be used for Mod searching as well. if there is a post available people can add to that post showing their interest and add some kind of CV or application letter explaining why they think they would be suitable for the position (things like age, time free/available, possible future ideas for the forum etc). other members can see what they offer. but the final choice comes down to the team. this would also give an opportunity to have a moderator post section for all those that would like to be considered can throw their hat in. it doesn;t mean that the team have to appoint anyone from there and there may not be a need for anyone at the time, but it would gie the team a selection of people to choose form who would like to do more.

If there was a need for a new moderator the team could select a group of people from the hiring section who have shown interest. they could have their status changed to "trial moderator". they don't need to have any extra access to the behind the scenes section for the trial period, but what they would have to do is things like using the report post function; but in it they should expalin what they would do if they were a mod. advantages are that the mod team will have problems highlighted quickly and can deal with them straight away. they can see how those people would deal with the situations but they don;t have to relinquish any powers. if at the end of the trial period someone shows potential they could be upgraded to full mod position with all the trimmings. or if the team ae not happy they can say thankyou but no thankyou. put the people back to normal staus and try some others.

Rich, these are brilliant ideas. I really like both actually and will raise them with the team.

I always encourage people to use the report function as often members see rule infractions and inappropriate posts before us. It's nice to have them flagged when you log onto the forum.

thanks stew,

the post of trial mod could be used for prolonged period people might do it for 6 months to a year before being promoted to a more permanent position. it would be a safe way of seeing who actually has the staminer to keep going. i think alot of people liek the idea of being a mod; but given the opportunity might tire of it after a few weeks and end up being no use after all.

this method could sort the wheat from the chaff.

I still think it takes the p@@@ wanting a say in something that is free, if you guys think a forum with elected mods and hired staff will be better then why not set it up and if it is fantastic we will all follow :shrug:

i know its a bit of a long read but if you follow the 16 pages i've never once said i want a democratic forum, in fact i've been in favour of the current system.

but what i've tried to do is come up with a plan that would satisfy those that want to be more involved. without pushing for a system that does not fit with what the team want for the forum.

i thought it was quiet clever. the team get some extra help without giving up any control or increasing peoples access, and those that want to be get the opportunity to feel involved

and none of it really changes the dynamics of the forum

i thought anyway? :shrug:

Rich it wasn't at anyone personally and I have had my moments with admins & mods but at the end of the day I can log off and not log back on... my choice

Its the members that make this place, but the members didn't 'make' this place, that's my point :thumbs:

I think if someone wants to be a mod then they probably wouldn't make a very good mod, thats not to say all of the current ones are brilliant, but I don't think electing people will be making the team any better.

i agree with you SMD

but my idea doesn't give an option for voting in a mod. people can offer etc, but its still down to the team to say yay or nay,

it should encourage the use of the report function button

if you look at the REO's i swear there is only about 4 people who actually do anything. a drive to get new REO's is not a bad thing

Hey! These were my ideas you big thief! You wrote them down verbatim as i explained them to you on the phone :p Give credit next time noobpants :bangin: *shakes fist*

Anyhow, this is a sticky from a forum I moderate in our hiring section, hopefully it's of some use.

Forum Moderator Applications

If you wanted to try your hand at helping us to moderate the forums keeping it nice and tidy, post an application here! This is the same as everything else, an un-paid position.

There are a few rules to follow which are listed below

Please ensure to follow these rules, or your application will be ignored.

The Age requirement is 18+

You need to have been registered to these forums for a minimum of two weeks and an active member.

All current posts/threads will be looked over to check they are of good content.

You need to post an example of you helping someone on these forums, by quoting what you said with a link to the post. (This is also a test to see if you can quote a post from one thread to another whilst keeping it intact, and also how to link a specific post in a thread. This is something that is used frequently when a mod.)

You need to be able to solve problems rationally and calmly.

When applying, remember to select Moderator as the prefix. If not, your application may not be seen.

If you have any referrals from other members of staff, please add their name at the bottom of your application. Please ensure that they are aware it is for a referral, and check that they are happy to have their name added to your application. This will be checked with the staff member and if it does not match, your application will be denied.

If your application is accepted, you will be contacted by myself over PM on the forums. You need to respond to this so that I know if you are still interested in the position. You will be on a 2 (two) week trial which will be explained in detail to you via PM if. You will not be promoted before the two weeks are up, but you may be denied before two weeks have passed.

If you do not get a response, that does not mean we haven't seen your application. We keep this area open even when all positions are full so if we do require new staff, we can look at all the entered applications. This will be sorted by the Prefix you select, which is why you must ensure it is correct.

It works really well as people can apply and it can be acknowledged that they are willing to help the community. Also the end decision remains with the team and they only get people that will fit in well. The trial mod period is a good buffer zone for people who may not be technically competent or turn out to not have the time to put into it.

I nominate sarnie, husky, da whip, frog speed and stormgirl as the new admins :teeth:

lmao unfortunately admins get to keep their job as they are the bosses of bosses :lol:

Careful................... ;):lol:

God, I can't believe this thing is still going round, I still chuckle at it! Took bloody ages but sooo the best video I've ever made :lol:

As a geriatric (50+) member, I come onto this forum almost daily. Due to my location I will never benefit from the meets etc., have been refused by a forum Trader due to my location and due to time differences often come to posts late. My "benefits" are therefore less than UK based members but I wanted to share my view. I completely enjoy this forum which to my mind is blessedly without the cliques, hostility, text shorthand and other nasties that pollute many other sites. I find it adult (for the most part), witty, informative and welcoming. I get to appreciate other members' viewpoints which are often very far from my own and I love it. :#1: I can choose to disagree or not respond but always in a civil manner.

My view is that its a free site and the owner(s) have all rights to how its managed including the Team members. I don't see any hindrance to members putting forward their ideas whether in the form of a post or pm. I don't see the need for additional voting to have a "people's mod" but equally don't see that the Team would reject any help sincerely offered if actually percieved as needed. I don't see the need for a label as a "trainee mod". I think any member can highlight by pm an inappropriate post and should do so.

I would like to thank the Admin/Mods for this fantastic site. It brightens my day, every day! I would not say don't fix it if it ain't broke, I would say please continue to feel free to take suggestions and offers of help from active members like Neil in the best possible sense. The internet is notoriously poor at allowing accurate exchange of opinions because nuance, humour, body language etc. are very poorly substituted by smilies. If suggestions are reviewed and rejected for valid reasons then perhaps acknowlegement and thanks via post or pm would likely be very welcome from the initiator? Cheers

Hey! These were my ideas you big thief! You wrote them down verbatim as i explained them to you on the phone :p Give credit next time noobpants :bangin: *shakes fist*

you fecked off so i took poetic licence :p

from me or from you its the same thing, people think we're one and the same or at least joined at the hip. while your at it would you scratch my lower back i can;t reach :lol: