Forum elections..

Neilp

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I do tend to find is the threads that have lots of humour in them get closed way early instead of having fun with it. Some of the humour has died over the last while.

I must admit over the last few months anything slightly ott gets jumped on and the 'family forum' quote comes out.

My daughter is 25 but if she was 9 and was googling 'plenum spacer' and not 'justin bieber' I would be rather concerned :dry:

What I do tend to find is the threads that have lots of humour in them get closed way early instead of having fun with it. Some of the humour has died over the last while.

I must admit over the last few months anything slightly ott gets jumped on and the 'family forum' quote comes out.

My daughter is 25 but if she was 9 and was googling 'plenum spacer' and not 'justin bieber' I would be rather concerned :dry:

Lol, btw your sig isn't working dave, might just be me !

Wow, appears I missed quite an epic thread last night.

The best governments in the world are dictatorships. They're efficient, you don't get any petty squabbling, and things get done. Democracies are full of arguing and popularity contests rather than actually trying to work out a good way to get things done. Since this is just an internet forum and the risk of being sent to the gallows are slim to none, I would humbly suggest that voting is a terrible idea.

Even in the few years I've been here, this club has gone from strength to strength and all based on the decisions of the team that run it. Were we going backwards or standards were slipping then there may well be good reason for change, but as it stands there is no point tinkering just for the sake of it. If you want some banners for photos on a run you're doing, whether that's in Scotland or Devon or Outer Mongolia, just PM one of the team and I'm pretty sure they'll be able to arrange it that you get one.

I do like the idea of mini moderators who only have access to say a sub forum with limited tools and access who could clear up posts and or rubbish, to leave the proper moderating to the bigger boys.

This was actually considered multiple times and dismissed due to technical contraints. We liked the idea of having a 3rd level of mods who could do basic stuff but would have no say in the bigger team matters. The problem with this were (1) giving anyone mod access gives them access to the team areas and certain functions we cant lock down that we wouldnt want mini-mods to have access to and (2) we feel that mini-mods may then feel hard done by that they are part of the team, while not actually being part of the team.

Like I say, we do actually consider a lot of ideas you guys chuck forwards, just there are many unforseen reasons why they dont always get implmented. ;)

In this case, I think its good that those in control are of the older generation, :wheelchair::lol: It keeps the forums' standards higher and keeps the forum more on topic.

:surrender::surrender: I'm just 29 and I've been a part of the team for years! I'll just get back to my zimmer now! :lol::lol:

As for the 'family forum' stuff, innuendo has always been fine...... In your endo! But people take this waaaay to far and we have to draw the line. If I'm at work and I open the forum, no biggie. If my strict Muslim female boss walked by and saw a an inappropriate picture on my screen then that is a no no.....

With my limited experience of this forum I think it runs extremely well. In all enviroments control is needed, and it seems to me thart it is handed out fairly? Obviously as a new guy here I don't have any knowledge of the longer threads you mention, with the riskier banter, and I'm sure they were fun (we all like a laugh) but this is a mixed and open forum and so standards need to be set. Just cos I'm a builder it doesn't mean I go round all day effing and swearing, and I don't necessarily want to hear it either!

Seems to me that certain people may have had issues here, and it's fair they should be sorted to everyones satisfaction, but surely as an open forum if you have a complaint you just raise it to discussion or PM the team????

BTW Neil I'm not knocking you for raising this at all..... it's been a really interesting discussion, and lets be honest here, it's been moderated well too, after all I dare say they could easily close the thread? LOL

I say keep up the good work, keep up the ideas, and I think we all agree that this is a great site :teeth:

This was the thread I was referring to.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22011&hilit=STATUS&start=0

88% thought it was a good idea. I think the mods are running scared at the thought of the monkey's running the asylum, which I don't think anyone wants or is suggesting. The old adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' is fine. But if you look at any successful person, company or website they are constantly evolving and embracing change along the way.

No one doubts this is a great site, look at the amount of former owners that still frequent it. All I'm suggesting is that perhaps sometimes there could be people out there that could add value to the site, who might fall outside of the usual remit of what constitutes selection as a moderator.

And note both chesterfield and I said yes.

Chris had concerns over moderation, I suggested using your sig as that would have been a nice test bed to see if it was abused.

It's still a good idea and as you said earlier it's even more appropriate now than it was then.

Perhaps the techy code boys could look at it again?

And note both chesterfield and I said yes.

Chris had concerns over moderation, I suggested using your sig as that would have been a nice test bed to see if it was abused.

It's still a good idea and as you said earlier it's even more appropriate now than it was then.

Perhaps the techy code boys could look at it again?

I did note that quite a few of the mods thought it was at least worthy of consideration, and this is my point. If the person who came up with this or any other idea was part of the team they may have been able to get this pushed through rather than forgotten about.

I 100% appreciate that everyone has a life to lead and moderating topics, approving for sale threads and generally being guardians of the site can be quite taxing I'd assume. Therefore creating, developing and implementing new ideas/additions to the site probably takes a back seat, which is understandable.

Those with the techie know how and access to the code aren't always those with the time either unfortunately.

There is a 'to do' list in the team area however keeping the forum online and working as it should is number one priority. Little tweaks can be made easily enough however anything that Chris I can break needs a lot more work and testing.

We have implemented a lot of changes put forward by the users, let's face it, it's all the users (team included) that make this place what it is so if we can Keep people happy we generally will. We will never keep everyone happy though and this is when the team come under constant fire. 98% are happy or don't care. 2% make a lot of noise and call foul.

The old adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' is fine. But if you look at any successful person, company or website they are constantly evolving and embracing change along the way.

But the successful ones don't change things just for the sake of it, or to appease a small minority of people who want something gimmicky for the sake of it.

That's not to belittle your idea in that thread Sarnie: Whilst it's not something I would use, I can appreciate that others would, it's more a case of why waste time and effort over something that can already be achieved in a different way (in a sig) without any problems? If Apple added every little thing that the vocal minority want their iDevices to do, we'd end up with an iPhone that's hideously complex and fiddly for the majority (see: Android). How about if Coke kept changing their recipe?

My point is that change for the sake of change isn't always a great thing. The club is constantly evolving and expanding, and the recent tie-up with NMGB is a great example of this and is opening the club up to new opportunities.

I think the moderation staff have all been handed it through friends on the forum etc but I think people sometimes do not agree sometimes and dont say anything. Some moderators react different to different things and some have made this not such a great place to be sometimes.

not at all true, I didn't know anyone here when I joined. All team members are voted in and agreed fully by the team. We do look at members to see who is applicable with reqular reviews if we feel there is a need for a new team member

The old adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' is fine. But if you look at any successful person, company or website they are constantly evolving and embracing change along the way.

But the successful ones don't change things just for the sake of it, or to appease a small minority of people who want something gimmicky for the sake of it.

That's not to belittle your idea in that thread Sarnie: Whilst it's not something I would use, I can appreciate that others would, it's more a case of why waste time and effort over something that can already be achieved in a different way (in a sig) without any problems? If Apple added every little thing that the vocal minority want their iDevices to do, we'd end up with an iPhone that's hideously complex and fiddly for the majority (see: Android). How about if Coke kept changing their recipe?

My point is that change for the sake of change isn't always a great thing. The club is constantly evolving and expanding, and the recent tie-up with NMGB is a great example of this and is opening the club up to new opportunities.

Take Facebook for example. This has become one of the biggest companies in the world over the last few years. Almost monthly, they change something on the site that EVERYONE dislikes. People set up groups to boycott FB etc etc and then lo and behold a few weeks later the dissenters pipe down and everyone realises that the changes are for the better. FB know that standing still is akin to going backwards, so they go forwards.

Companies like Apple, Coca Cola, KFC or MacDonalds don't rest on their laurels, they constantly evolve their products, menu's and restaurants etc. They don't say 'It ain't broke so don't fix it' otherwise we wouldn't have stuff like the iPad which has come from the development of the iPod.

All I'm suggesting is that the team be open to change to allow things that could enhance the site, to be considered. Naturally, a lot of ideas might not be great but out of 20 ideas that get veto'd, one might be brilliant. You may not of liked the 'Current status' idea but 88% of people that voted did, which is pretty resounding and illustrates that being a mod doesn't neccessarily mean your decision is automatically the best thing for the site.

Take Facebook for example. This has become one of the biggest companies in the world over the last few years. Almost monthly, they change something on the site that EVERYONE dislikes. People set up groups to boycott FB etc etc and then lo and behold a few weeks later the dissenters pipe down and everyone realises that the changes are for the better. FB know that standing still is akin to going backwards, so they go forwards.

Companies like Apple, Coca Cola, KFC or MacDonalds don't rest on their laurels, they constantly evolve their products, menu's and restaurants etc. They don't say 'It ain't broke so don't fix it' otherwise we wouldn't have stuff like the iPad which has come from the development of the iPod.

All I'm suggesting is that the team be open to change to allow things that could enhance the site, to be considered. Naturally, a lot of ideas might not be great but out of 20 ideas that get veto'd, one might be brilliant. You may not of liked the 'Current status' idea but 88% of people that voted did, which is pretty resounding and illustrates that being a mod doesn't neccessarily mean your decision is automatically the best thing for the site.

I'm with you on this sarnie :thumbs: and in fact I quite like the status idea you posted as I find the current status' a bit boring and new people don't quite get it.

I think the moderation staff have all been handed it through friends on the forum etc but I think people sometimes do not agree sometimes and dont say anything. Some moderators react different to different things and some have made this not such a great place to be sometimes.

not at all true, I didn't know anyone here when I joined. All team members are voted in and agreed fully by the team. We do look at members to see who is applicable with reqular reviews if we feel there is a need for a new team member

This seems to be the only thing I have got wrong so far.

This is just me against the moderating staff which is exactly my point. The moderating staff are hand chosen, possibly with the right reasons in mind, but chosen because people either know each other, work together, have personal ties with each other.

wrong again

This is just me against the moderating staff which is exactly my point. The moderating staff are hand chosen, possibly with the right reasons in mind, but chosen because people either know each other, work together, have personal ties with each other.

wrong again

It's the exact same thing as you quoted above.

There so many followers on here who aren't posting. They sit back and allow people to bitch them. I'm not a follower or a yes man. I like to view things from various perspectives to see how to progress things rather than go round in circles with the same old.

This did turn into me against the team.

You may not of liked the 'Current status' idea but 88% of people that voted did, which is pretty resounding and illustrates that being a mod doesn't neccessarily mean your decision is automatically the best thing for the site.

But how many people voted out of how many people are regular users to the site?

Again, I'm not trying to use that example as the be-all and end-all of my argument, but I'm sure you can see the point I'm trying to make. Just because the vocal minority may want something, that doesn't make it right for the majority and the team have to balance up every decision they make for the greater good and not just to keep the peace. :)

wrong again

It's the exact same thing as you quoted above.

just reading through the pages and my response, yep covered twice and my other team members

You may not of liked the 'Current status' idea but 88% of people that voted did, which is pretty resounding and illustrates that being a mod doesn't neccessarily mean your decision is automatically the best thing for the site.

But how many people voted out of how many people are regular users to the site?

Again, I'm not trying to use that example as the be-all and end-all of my argument, but I'm sure you can see the point I'm trying to make. Just because the vocal minority may want something, that doesn't make it right for the majority and the team have to balance up every decision they make for the greater good and not just to keep the peace. :)

Whatever way you look at it, a vote is a vote. What better way of sampling a group of people is there than an anonymous poll? If you count the votes and count how many posted on the thread you will see that more people voted than posted, meaning that the less vocal people did actually vote in this instance and the outcome was resounding. This is my point.

This did turn into me against the team.

perhaps because the way you posts came across about the way the forum is being run. Which by many many views is being run very well and is 'quoted by members' one of the best forums they've been on. Dont fix something that aint broken

Hadn't noticed that, good point. Again though, and for fear of repetition, I'm not referring just to that one single poll but the idea that any popular poll on here should be acted on. I'm sure some famous person at some point must've said something along the lines of "The people have no idea what they want or what's good for them!" :lol: