Forum elections..

Neilp

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Ball owns this site.

He started it with his own money and time.

If Chris decides that we should elect mods, then we will implement elections.

If Chris says he is happy with the way things are, then none of us have the right to tell him he has to change things, regardless of how popular an idea it apparantly is amongst the younger members.

TBH, I don't see too much evidence to show support for or against :shrug:

He started it with his own money and time.

If Chris decides that we should elect mods, then we will implement elections.

If Chris says he is happy with the way things are, then none of us have the right to tell him he has to change things, regardless of how popular an idea it apparantly is amongst the younger members.

TBH, I don't see too much evidence to show support for or against :shrug:

Yep chris owns the site, but without members the club isn't a club.

This club like any club should have members elected to be on the committee.

I'll put up a poll and see what people think, i'll sort it after I eat tea.

Surely any great leader would listen to the people.

And no one can kick him out - we've tried :lol::lol::lol:

IMO the team works well for a reason, we very carefully select like minded people who we think will run the site the way the team want it to be run. Yes its good to have new fresh blood, but the site has lasted as long as it has because the team obviously steer it in a direction that the majority of the membership are happy with. If not then you would have all left.

As Martin said, we are happy for new ideas, just put up a thread or PM the team. We have quite a few behind the scene organisers who are helping out with a range of stuff and have no recogniton or power on the site.

So the mod team would then have to arrange and regulate elections every six months, that one way of ensuring there are vacancies. :lol:

I would allow the admin team to run it, or elect a non-biased member to open up a poll and allow people to submit a campaign if they wish to go for a position. All current moderating staff would put up their campaign also to say why they should keep there position, what they plan on doing to keep the forum progressing and getting better....

To make it easy, similar to a real election.

This club like any club should have members elected to be on the committee.

As I said earlier....we do not have a committe. :shrug:

Nor do we want one. We have discussed the managment structure and are happy as it is with a small tight knitt team :thumbs:

Members can complain about unfair treatment.

We dont need any more moderators.

Simples :)

I'm sure every great dictator of the world told his countrymen this when in power

Someone get round to Neil's house quick......husky has hacked his account! :lol:;)

Er, no, the forum is busy which means it is being done right. Thats the way the actions of the team are judged. If a committee is required the next step is membership fees. Dont go there. :)

It was a word choice issue, i'm sure people understood what i'm saying.

Why do I feel like this is me against the moderating team here? I think what i've said and posted has lots of relevance and many people would agree.

I think to be fair and true, if you put a poll up, the team should restrict all PM's for the duration of the poll to ensure that badgering people to vote either way (by any member) is prevented. :teeth:

Is it a forum or a club? Neil are you saying you don't agree with how the forum is run or how it is moderated. 2 different issues in my mind.

Its a club forum. I don't agree with the selection processes for moderators and members of the team, moderators in particular.

I think democracy is a good thing and the way the club is run simply is dictatorial

I think to be fair and true, if you put a poll up, the team should restrict all PM's for the duration of the poll to ensure that badgering people to vote either way (by any member) is prevented. :teeth:

I think thats extreme but I think thats a fine idea

Members can complain about unfair treatment.

We dont need any more moderators.

Simples :)

I'm sure every great dictator of the world told his countrymen this when in power

Someone get round to Neil's house quick......husky has hacked his account! :lol:;)

:lol:

Unfortunately not many of the present team have time to campaign. Feel free to sent donations to us to allow us to campaign though. :)

+1

Changing jobs (again)

Working 12 hours a day in my new house whilst on leave.

Planning and paying for a wedding in 6 weeks.

I can barely afford the time to eat never mind put a campaign together! :lol:

This was discussed at the very outset of the forum, and we didnt want to go down the hierachy route. It also adds another task to the already large list of jobs that the team do.

The problem is with "democratic" elections, is you end up with the popular people in the jobs rather than those that can actually do the job. What if those elected people leave or can no longer afford the time - do we hand the position to the second place candidate, or run the whole thing again?

How many elections would have resulted in the removal of moderating staff that do other good jobs that often go unrecognised. For instance when there was the need for a stand against the ridiculous ammount of spam being posted, and there were toys thrown out of the pram by several posters, had there been an election at that time we could have seen the removal of a mod that does some excellent work organising the Wales event, but this would have seen them removed.

Also, the relationships that are built between this club and other clubs and companies could also be jeapordised.

Lets put it another way.. If I were to lose my position, who would have got the forum back online a few days ago? If Mike lost his position, who would manage the trader renewals and finances? If Chris's, ebized or beavis were gone - how successful would Wales be? Lexx put some great time in building relationships with Nissan, Martinmac has more contacts than you can shake a stick at, and Neo although often very quiet on the forum is an invaluable techy that has helped build what we see today. The team are not picked based on who we like and who we dont - they are invited to join based on how they have acted on the forum, how they approach subjects on the forum and their personality.

Another point to consider is that we have neve been asked by any member whether they could become part of the team, and how they go about it. We have always had to ask people if they want to be part of the team.

What we do acknowledge is that there is a distinct lack of female members on the team, this would be good to rectify - but finding somebody that can spare the time is often not easy.

This is just me against the moderating staff which is exactly my point. The moderating staff are hand chosen, possibly with the right reasons in mind, but chosen because people either know each other, work together, have personal ties with each other.

Unfortunately not many of the present team have time to campaign. Feel free to sent donations to us to allow us to campaign though. :)

+1

Changing jobs (again)

barely time to moderate???

+1

Changing jobs (again)

barely time to moderate???

I'm here ain't I. That should answer your question ;)

but chosen because people either know each other, work together, have personal ties with each other.

When i was asked if i would like to become a moderator back in 2007 and can honestly say non of the above was true. :) The pm asking me to be a mod came like a bolt out of the blue and was a great surprise to me. I had attended just a couple of meets at that time! :shrug:

The moderating staff are hand chosen, possibly with the right reasons in mind, but chosen because people either know each other, work together, have personal ties with each other.

I was'nt.