Hmmm... I'm gonna get shot for this....

AMT

Right ...YES... search has been used but I get confused with all the different answers :wacko: , view points and the internet isn't much help either... PETROL...RON... oh yes.. just...just bare with me im simple :blush:

I keep reading 99 Ron for the Zed?? And then I see on the net VPower is 97 plus or something? ... Does my head in. I just wanna make sure when I get the Zed.. i run it on the right stuff so I don't have to even consider worrying about reving over 5K...so... what I would like... is some one to give me a list (theres prob only 2 or 3 ) of the main super unleaded petrols I CAN use and what RON are they? eg... shell v power... tescos unlimited whatever...and any others... oh yeah BP... ultimate?

Also... this 99 thing... what is the minimum RON the Zed can run on. I take it they differ? I read for it to be super unleaded of some sort in the UK it has to be above 97? So 97 itself and up is fine to rev my nuts off in the zed? :lol:

help much??...

Don't shout either.. lol

cheers :):blush:

Thank you... but lol... I sometimes fill up at work where theres only a tesco.... and sometimes i fill at bp if i go by my m8s work.... :blush:

eg...

Vpower - 'X' Ron.... fine to use

Tesco unlimited 'X' Ron.... fine to use

BP Ul...well you get the idea...

:blush:

Just fill up every time you pass a Shell, then you won't have to fill up at work, or near you mates house :lol:

.......... to be honest, as long as its the highest octane you can get it will be fine :thumbs:

Bascially this is me being too stupid and paranoid isn't it?... ANY super unleaded of some form is gonna be 97ron or above? and therefor fine for the zed?? :shrug:

I'm talking like im about to buy a priceless engine Lambo... i forget people do have M3's, porsche caymans etc..and i assume their in the same boat.. lol. I just ...'like to be sure' :)

I asked the same question mate you can run 97 ron as its high octane...but recommended 98+ if possible (over in Northern Ireland we only have 97ron)

Although take a look here and this is what happens if you use 95 ron and kick the balls out of the engine

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58599&start=0

You can run on 95 ron but don't rev over 5000 rpm as the knock sensor is useless

Taken from wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Regional_variations

United Kingdom: 'regular' petrol has an octane rating of 95 RON, with 97 RON fuel being widely available as the Super Unleaded. Tesco and Shell both offer 99 RON fuel. In April 2006, BP started a public trial of the super-high octane petrol BP Ultimate Unleaded 102, which as the name suggests, has an octane rating of 102 RON.[21] Although BP Ultimate Unleaded (with an octane rating of 97 RON) and BP Ultimate Diesel are both widely available throughout the UK, BP Ultimate Unleaded 102 was available throughout the UK in only 10 filling stations, and was priced at about two and half times more than their 97 RON fuel. In March 2010, BP stopped sales of Ultimate Unleaded 102, citing the closure of their specialty fuels manufacturing facility.[22] Shell V-Power is also available, but in a 99 RON octane rating, and Tesco fuel stations also supply the Greenergy produced 99 RON "Tesco 99".

For fuel to be classed as 'Super Unleaded in the UK, it has to be at least 97 RON - so any super from the pump is fine. However if you have the means, Shell V-Power is 99 RON and Tesco Momentum is also 99 RON.

BP Ultimate, where available, seems to be 97 RON.

However, i seem to recall that although a zed prefers a diet of 98 RON or above, it can run fine on 97 because Super unleaded has various additives over normal fuel (?)

ill just add if your stuck and they dont sell or have super normal 95 ron will be ok to get you to a garage that does just stay BELOW 5000rpm as no knock sensor after this causing damage wrong timing etc, if i have read right before on here and dont put much in so you can super back in, anyone feel free to correct if im wrong :teeth:

People are too helpful on this place :) Cheers everyone!... and yes.. I did see the piston thread n 95ron... amazing that ..a different form of ..liquid ..so to speak... causes that. But yeah.. don't worry won't be going near normal unleaded when i get it ..AT ALL.

Thanks for the info everyone! :thumbs:

**Update for you that are getting bored of me :lol: (the hoover Coupe WILL be paid off on the 15th-ish' of May...which means we'll be ready to go! B) )

:drive1

**Update for you that are getting bored of me :lol: (the hoover Coupe WILL be paid off on the 15th-ish' of May...which means we'll be ready to go! B) )

:drive1

About time too! You have hung around here far too long without buying a Zed :fight:

The odd bit of 95 here and there in an emergency is fine, it is sustained usage and ignorance that causes the real problems :headhurt:

I still don't believe the whole 'it needs to be super unleaded' thing........one failed piston does not make it an endemic issue.

I agree that the zed was optimized to run on Super. I also appreciate that the car may get a slightly higher MPG and make the car more responsive.

I understand that running it on 95 RON may mean that the car potentially loses a few BHP, but as I can never extend my car to 100% of it's potential on the road, whats a few lost bhp?

I ran both my zeds and Gallardo on 95 RON and have not heard of either having any issue before I owned them, during or after.

People propogating running their cars on 97 RON only, need to think about the vast majority of the mileage on their cars could easily have been on 95 RON and they'd be non the wiser.....so unless you gonna do it from new then what's the point?

I still don't believe the whole 'it needs to be super unleaded' thing........one failed piston does not make it an endemic issue.

I agree that the zed was optimized to run on Super. I also appreciate that the car may get a slightly higher MPG and make the car more responsive.

I understand that running it on 95 RON may mean that the car potentially loses a few BHP, but as I can never extend my car to 100% of it's potential on the road, whats a few lost bhp?

I ran both my zeds and Gallardo on 95 RON and have not heard of either having any issue before I owned them, during or after.

People propogating running their cars on 97 RON only, need to think about the vast majority of the mileage on their cars could easily have been on 95 RON and they'd be non the wiser.....so unless you gonna do it from new then what's the point?

incined to agree with you as im the same for roads, never thrash it etc however I DO FIND that around town the car runs smoother and less lumpy at low speeds and low revs on super, However on a cruise on the motorway i found no difference other than a reduced MPG as such I generally stick to super not for performance top end but for my own comfort and enjoyment around town

rich

incined to agree with you as im the same for roads, never thrash it etc however I DO FIND that around town the car runs smoother and less lumpy at low speeds and low revs on super, However on a cruise on the motorway i found no difference other than a reduced MPG as such I generally stick to super not for performance top end but for my own comfort and enjoyment around town

rich

I 100% agree. I'm not saying the zed won't run better on 97 RON, just that your engine isn't going to blow up because you run it on 95 RON either.

One example of a shot piston does not make a generic car wide issue imo......

Agreed ....never really weighed in on the debate as I don't know enough but it all sounds a bit hard to swallow