Amsterdam

Flex

Are you going by ferry or plane ??

I have been 4 times and haven't got past the cafe's and the redlight district yet :lol: but I have been told that there is ment to be wonderful architecture there I just get easily distracted and haven't taken notice .

If your going by ferry forget sight seeing you will have to drink when you get there just to pull your self out the hang over :lol:

Cheers BulletMagnet, your post has been the most useful so far!

Going by plane Michael, we might wander through the red light district but we're all with our partners so can't stare for too long!!

Malay/Indonesian restaurant about 20 min walk from station just off the high street.

TIGER AND THE KANCIL

Very busy so sometimes you have to book in advance.

They do set menus for 2 onwards with lots of small dishes so you get a taste of everything kinda like tapas.

Whilst you're there I think you should probably go and see the Anne Frank museum, its best to get there early-ish morning time if you can. The Vondelpark is also worth thinking about if you fancy taking an hour or so out from the 'hub-bub' to chill out, take some snacks and have a bite to eat in the park.

The ice bar is a laugh. The red light district area is a tourist attraction more than anything. There is great architechture and walking along the canal is a pleasure.

I avoid the cafes - not my thing and all and seemed to be full of tools from the uk......

There are nice boat runs on the canals and loads of decent places to eat in the centre.

Been a while since I was there and I've never actually stayed there, always just passing through to / from Rotterdam with work so can't comment on late night activities at all.

I've been a few times over the years and we have friends out there now - they aren't into the whole schmokin' thing which is good because I can't actually remember any of my earlier trips :lol:

+1 on the Anne Frank museum, not a happy thing to do but essential. The queues are huge to get in though so try to get there early. As far as other 'cultural' things go, if you're into art / design the Rembrant and Van Gogh museums are good and the Staedelik Museum is cool, especially for sculpture. You can hire bikes and cycle out into the countryside (with a few beer stops) which is a good day out, we headed to 'Ouvrekirke' (probably mispelt). A canal boat trip is essential too.

Obviously have a few bifters and a wander through the red light district too :thumbs:

Have a good trip B)

Great advice above :thumbs:

One thing to keep an eye on is the prices. I've being going to the Dam many times for events or weekends or just passing through and prices are getting out of control.

Last year for me was a kick in the teeth. In the Heart of the Dam expect to pay a hefty whack for a drink, and/or food. It's got to a point now where I won't be returning until they sort out their extortionate prices. Which I doubt will never happen.

Always ask what their prices are before ordering.

Queens Day is on the 30th April - 2 days of partying in the streets and canals. If you're there during this, you WILL have a mental time. Been to 3 of them and it's probably one of the best street parties in Europe.

Lots of great places to eat and drink pretty much on every street. If you're going for Steak, try to find an Argentinian restaurant.

A few highlights though...

Boom Chicago at Leidseplein for a bit of comedy http://www.boomchicago.nl/boomchicago/,

Vondelpark is great for chilling,

Villa Zeezicht for apple pie http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/villa-zeezicht-amsterdam-2

and Barney's on Haarlemmerstraat for brekkie and a very different (smoking) menu :wacko:

The Jordaan area should be a must :thumbs: as is the Oud Kerk(Old Kirk), Stedelijk and Rijksmuseum.

The Jordaan area should be a must :thumbs: as is the Oud Kerk(Old Kirk), Stedelijk and Rijksmuseum.

This for me. The Jordann area is lovely, and loads of cool wee shops if you scout around. Rijksmuseum to see the Night Watch B)

Personally, I avoided the Red light-Dam Square-Train station triangle for the most part, as its waaaay too expensive and too busy. Once you step outside that, its wonderful!

Lots of great places to eat and drink pretty much on every street. If you're going for Steak, try to find an Argentinian restaurant.

Theres actually a very good one just down the road from Barneys, which you also mention :thumbsup: