WINKJ

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys,

Random one!! what is everyones views on Freemasonry

:ninja:

I'd love to get building work done for free, but all the brickies near me charge a fortune.

If you know anyone doing any free wokr please send them my way, i have a wall that needs building :thumbs:

Are any of you masons or any family or friends??

Not me, but my Uncle was a Grand Master, or something like that a few years ago. I guess it worked for him as he worked his way up to director level of a well known ship building company that employed 10,000 people at one time.

Pete

Don't they sit around in majestic castles pulling balls outta ther secret bag :shrug:

If you have "applied" to be a mason, and the grand chiefs in their castles pull out a black ball, your doomed. :scare:

However if your in luck and they pull a white ball out, :yahoo:

By all accounts there are only 3 balls in their sack, 2 black 1 white!

Not quite Zuagra....

The way it works is, if you want to become a member... you have to go through a lengthy joining process... with lots of different parts.

One of which is the "black ball" method. (Which isn't always used any more, other similar methods are also used to do this. Including using computers)

Basically, there is a room with a bag and a load of white balls and a load of black balls.

Each current member who wants to vote goes into the room, one at a time, and puts a ball in the bag.

If you are happy to have the new member, you put a white ball in the bag.

If you, you put a black ball in.

If you get "black balled" then your membership is rejected...

At least, that is what I heard... ;)

From the viewpoint of a rabid feminist (which clearly I am :teeth: ) it"s fascinating to realise how many complex and secretive methods men can dream up to stop other men joining their 'gang' :starwars: I can't think of any similar all female organisation. Heck, you don't even have to know all the words to 'Jerusalem' to join the WI these days!

it"s fascinating to realise how many complex and secretive methods men can dream up to stop other men joining their 'gang' :starwars: ................................

Maybe immigration control could take a few pointers?

Nothing wrong with mason's as long as they are free :)

Females do have a secret organisation though, it's just not spoken about :blush:

It's called..........being a Wife....... :lol:

From the viewpoint of a rabid feminist (which clearly I am :teeth: ) it"s fascinating to realise how many complex and secretive methods men can dream up to stop other men joining their 'gang' :starwars: I can't think of any similar all female organisation. Heck, you don't even have to know all the words to 'Jerusalem' to join the WI these days!

Jim, I was taking da peepee :lol:

Not quite Zuagra....

The way it works is, if you want to become a member... you have to go through a lengthy joining process... with lots of different parts.

One of which is the "black ball" method. (Which isn't always used any more, other similar methods are also used to do this. Including using computers)

Basically, there is a room with a bag and a load of white balls and a load of black balls.

Each current member who wants to vote goes into the room, one at a time, and puts a ball in the bag.

If you are happy to have the new member, you put a white ball in the bag.

If you, you put a black ball in.

If you get "black balled" then your membership is rejected...

At least, that is what I heard... ;)

Not a freemason but I am a 'freeman' of the city of Chester. I think that means I can shoot welsh people on certain days but I haven't yet explored those benefits.

S.

:scare: Well your not starting with me. :lol:

Not a freemason but I am a 'freeman' of the city of Chester. I think that means I can shoot welsh people on certain days but I haven't yet explored those benefits.

S.

:scare: Well your not starting with me. :lol:

yeah..... that is garbage...

In the 'olden days', for a short period of time, you could... with a longbow, on certain days, kill Welshmen... In the Square in Chester.

But it was a LONG time ago ... and a little law called the Homicide Act of 1957 now over rides it...

I know a fair bit about it and have been asked to join but it isn't my bag. The secrecy thing does lead to a lot of suspicion and criticism but to be fair the Masons don't respond to the critics, despite there being nothing to hide. I respect that, and the fact they do good things for charities and local causes - they don't advertise that either ;)

Ultimately though, the whole tradition / rituals thing isn't my bag. I find a bit embarrassing TBH :thumbdown:

I know a fair bit about it and have been asked to join but it isn't my bag. The secrecy thing does lead to a lot of suspicion and criticism but to be fair the Masons don't respond to the critics, despite there being nothing to hide. I respect that, and the fact they do good things for charities and local causes - they don't advertise that either ;)

Ultimately though, the whole tradition / rituals thing isn't my bag. I find a bit embarrassing TBH :thumbdown:

Im in the same boat... and I agree... :blush:

Most of my family are masons, except the polish side. It's not that secretive any more at all. There is however plenty of speculation on the Internet about it.

In Canada there is big sign posts showing exactly where Masonic halls are. It's no secret over there.

In poland it is a very big offence to be a mason.

S.

With a bow and arrow, off the walls, after midnight I believe the abled law has it.

I can't think of any similar all female organisation.

Raceforlife.org

While the above is a very good cause, I see no logical reason to have it as women only. Surely they would raise even more if it were unisex. :shrug:

The masons have to be secretive - if they were openly promoting it as a men only organisation, it would get slapped down by the PC brigade. But you can shout from the rooftops about women only organisations, and thats perfectly fine. :shrug::lol: