FI or no FI?

STOFF -><-

Hi, wondering wether or not to take the step for some big power gains and go for a supercharger or a turbo kit? Managed to get to 323.7 bhp without but had a run against a friends scooby and felt sad as I watched him slowly pull away from me. Basically wanting to know the risks in over stressing the engine, best place to buy and get fitted. Best makes (without making my wallet explode) and are you better with a turbo or supercharger? Thanks.

Kindly go read the Forced Induction sub forum, then spend a week reading up on my350z.com.

They will help you with many of your questions which have been asked many times before.

Dont do it, you will regret it and be paranoid at every noise and knock the car makes, expecting it to blow up. Thats the impression I get from a few of the guys that went FI. Totally ruined the car.

Just be happy you dont have to drive an ugly Scooby ;)

Dont do it, you will regret it and be paranoid at every noise and knock the car makes, expecting it to blow up. Thats the impression I get from a few of the guys that went FI. Totally ruined the car.

This :blush:

I enjoyed my car much more when it was N/A, saying that though - I'm paranoid about blowing up my Skyline aswell :lol:

Chris, has your zed ever had a blower?

perosnally i think its best to buy a car that comes FI from the factory, or one that someone else has done the work already.

best example of a supercharger setup i saw on this forum so far was Ian, he used the HKS setup and it looked almost OEM

another one to watch is Keyser, as he's rebuilding one someone else did.

ones not to follow are nurrish, if you ever wanted a fireball waiting to happen follow his.

I completely disagree.

FI is the best thing I ever did for my zed, but I do feel that it is a one way street. Personally, I do not believe that once you've 'built' a car to a spec that you're satisfied that you should ever go back and break it up despite it making financial sense.

I have Nurrish's old kit on my car on its second year now... Have had a few belt issues, but other then that... I could never drive an N/A zed again! :p

However the point someone made about buying an FI car in the first place I would agree with. Doing this type of conversion whether you're doing it yourself or not, is not for the faint hearted!

No I was putting across the general consenus I have from speaking to several owners who had been FI :)

If the OP is undecided then I suspect he isnt in it 110% required to truely see it though. The owners I have spoken to who are happy with FI were very driven, knew every angle and did lots of research generally.

I have Nurrish's old kit on my car on its second year now... Have had a few belt issues, but other then that... I could never drive an N/A zed again! :p

its not the kit i question its the original fitter :lol:

i'm sure you've done a top job

I learnt the hard way that if you want a car with FI, just buy one with it in the first place.

Unless you like a lot of tinkering and fettling of course, in which case they can be great projects.

No I was putting across the general consenus I have from speaking to several owners who had been FI :)

If the OP is undecided then I suspect he isnt in it 110% required to truely see it though. The owners I have spoken to who are happy with FI were very driven, knew every angle and did lots of research generally.

Despite my thoughts on it, its something that I would do again.

My biggest issue is the fact that I pulled out of getting a TT kit at the last minute & was never that taken with a S/C setup. It just didn't suit my driving style & I didn't get full boost untill pretty high in the rev range.

If I had gone for the TT setup like I originally planned & budgeted for - I'd still have my Z now :(

I personally would do an LS V8 conversion...just to throw that into the mix (not cheap mind you)

Then if one got bored with an NA V8 power you could always stick a harrop on top and see 600bhp easily enough lmao

FI all the way, make sure though that you plan properly... AND pick a GOOD place to deal with, I got stung on the latter.

I'd do it again but differently for sure, love the newly found power!

When I do it again (with another car) I'm going to run it like any project I do in my daily job.

Budget should not be applied, open wallet and go for it. Do it right and you won't have to do it at a later stage. OR do it in phases so you get some driving in ;)

Thanks for all the advice been browsing on here and seen lots of opinions. I've done the suspension brakes, wheels and tyres so more power seemed like the next option. But was worried id end up ruining the car By blowing up the engine. May just keep going for more N/A power at the min. Thanks again lads. ,><,

To gain POWER FI is the only way, you can pile a fortune into NA mods for low returns.

I went Nitrous and enjoyed its flexibility of only using it when I wanted to. It's a lot cheaper than FI. I'm now looking for a supercharger after enjoying Nitrous but greed has taken over for continual power.

If I was you I'd try and make it to one of the bigger meets and try and get a ride in a FI and NOS car so you can see what they're like and have a chat with the owners. Then once you've made a decision have a chat with Abbey (if they're near you, maybe RS tuning if you're further North) and see what they suggest.

Is nitrous safe to use? My only experience of it is the fast and furious films. Don't know much about it.

You won't blow the welds on the intake manifold if that's what you mean ;)

But seriously, it's like any other major engine alteration; it's all in the tune. Yes badly tuned nitrous will cause engine damage, but no more than a badly tuned TT setup.

DB

Is nitrous safe to use? My only experience of it is the fast and furious films. Don't know much about it.

You would need to beef up the welds holding your seat to the floor, thats all :D

Fast and Furious isnt a great guide for tuning TBF. :lol: