Anyone been to San Francisco?

DoogyRev

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a while since I have been there....must go on the old cable trams, I generally enjoyed the area around the Piers, as already mentioned Alcatraz is worth a visit. Great clam chowder from the stalls around the pier.

It's my favourite city in the US. Enjoy !

Jim

China town, Alcatraz, You need to ride a tram to Nob Hill (seriously!) obviuosly the Bridge if you have time, and George Lucas's ranch if you feel like some stalking :lol::lol:

I had mixed feelings about it as a city, but really pleased I went

Enjoy :thumbs:

It's been a while since I have been there.

Yeah, me too, 1982 to be precise. Did all the usual things...drove down Lombardy Street, The Golden Gate and Oakland Bay bridges and also drove around some of the streets made famous in "Bullitt". Visited Fishermans Wharf and Chinatown too, so lots to see and do :thumbs: .Even in summer though I found San Fransisco to be a rather cold place, I think it was Mark Twain who said that the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Fransisco :) . I still have the newspaper I bought there in April 1981, on the day of the 75th anniversary of the 1906 Great Earthquake :scare: .

Pete

Thanks Guys :thumbs:

I think Alcatraz will be on the list, and china town B) Nob Hill...... :lol: That could be worth it just for the hilarity value :lol:

Will have to do some reading up me thinks. Unfortunately I will be staying wrong side of the Airport. I guess I will just have to stick the taxi's on my expenses :lol:

Not going until first week of Feb, will be taking my camera so will stick some photo's up whilst I am there :thumbs:

Oh yeah - I forgot Chinatown, it is really worth a visit and a meal!

Yes the food is great in China town, the only disapointment was that the was no "Big Trouble in Little China" sights to see. I spent days trying to find Dave Lopan's hide out!! :ninja:

Alcatraz - need to book tickets NOW if you hope to travel while you are there. There is a legit Alcatraz website that offers e-tickets. Print them and take them with you. When we went we bought tickets in advance (weeks in advance) for a specific date/time. While we were queing we discovered that it wasn't possible to buy any tickets 'on the day' for any date earlier than the following Tuesday (we went on Friday, so sold out for days ahead).

Check the internet for the street names used in Bullit. (Filbert Street was one we visited). Stupidly steep! :thumbs: Certainly worth a look. http://www.rjsmith.com/bullitt-locations.html

Also worth a look is the famous Lombard Street.

Pier 39 is pretty good too.

We also got some great pics of the Golden Gate bridge from Torpedo Wharf area just off i101 before you drive onto the bridge. Parking up the top - short trail down to the wharf. Some good views.

Oh, and dont forget Union Square for shopping (Macy's and some other big stores). And there is a famous chocolate producers somewhere...and of course the trams. And some seriusly steep streets! Oh, the Catherdeal is worth a visit too - massive!

Alcatraz - need to book tickets NOW if you hope to travel while you are there. There is a legit Alcatraz website that offers e-tickets. Print them and take them with you. When we went we bought tickets in advance (weeks in advance) for a specific date/time. While we were queing we discovered that it wasn't possible to buy any tickets 'on the day' for any date earlier than the following Tuesday (we went on Friday, so sold out for days ahead).

Check the internet for the street names used in Bullit. (Filbert Street was one we visited). Stupidly steep! :thumbs: Certainly worth a look. http://www.rjsmith.com/bullitt-locations.html

Also worth a look is the famous Lombard Street.

Pier 39 is pretty good too.

We also got some great pics of the Golden Gate bridge from Torpedo Wharf area just off i101 before you drive onto the bridge. Parking up the top - short trail down to the wharf. Some good views.

Oh, and dont forget Union Square for shopping (Macy's and some other big stores). And there is a famous chocolate producers somewhere...and of course the trams. And some seriusly steep streets! Oh, the Catherdeal is worth a visit too - massive!

Maybe it was the beer, and the HOT serving wench, but Sausalito, over the bridge and around the hill was worth a trip. Very nice floating fish restaurants on old steamer type boats (moored) if I remember right. Well it was nice in the 90's.

Not really taxi distance though, but hire car defiantly. In fact a hire car would open up all sorts of possibilities in that area of California. I had the best business trip ever there once.

Maybe it was the beer, and the HOT serving wench, but Sausalito, over the bridge and around the hill was worth a trip. Very nice floating fish restaurants on old steamer type boats (moored) if I remember right. Well it was nice in the 90's.

Not really taxi distance though, but hire car defiantly. In fact a hire car would open up all sorts of possibilities in that area of California. I had the best business trip ever there once.

If you have the time and can travel - get up into the Napa valley or Sonoma valley, it's nicer than being on the coast and you don't get fogged in as badly.

Main attractions are the wineries (don't know why they don't call them vineyards) but some of the Merlot wines are just stupendous. (In my opinion they're much nicer than French wines, they're really big on the palate)

There are also some nice wooded areas, and the Redwoods are just . . . well . . . majestic. It's a hackneyed phrase, but walk up and touch a tree that's several hundred years old and goes Waaay up, it'll stir the atoms in your soul.

If you have the time and can travel - get up into the Napa valley or Sonoma valley, it's nicer than being on the coast and you don't get fogged in as badly.

Main attractions are the wineries (don't know why they don't call them vineyards) but some of the Merlot wines are just stupendous. (In my opinion they're much nicer than French wines, they're really big on the palate)

There are also some nice wooded areas, and the Redwoods are just . . . well . . . majestic. It's a hackneyed phrase, but walk up and touch a tree that's several hundred years old and goes Waaay up, it'll stir the atoms in your soul.

Stay at Hotel Tomo in Japan Town. China Town is filthy (as are the Chinese) after you've stayed in Japan town. You can walk in to the city centre.

Drink at Sutter Station Bar and The Kezar Pub

Visit Alcatraz, the Presidio for $10mil dollar houses, Union Square and Pier 1 for shopping, Pier 39 for smelly sea lions.

Drive down Lombard Street (I won't tell you why ;) )

M De Yong Musuem on a Sunday morning and watch the dancing on the way out.

Drive to Golden Gate and hopefully you'll get some fog. If the season is right, go to ANY sports occasion. If not, go to Bar Kezar and watch it.

Go to Monterey. :thumbs:

Stay at Hotel Tomo in Japan Town. China Town is filthy (as are the Chinese) after you've stayed in Japan town. You can walk in to the city centre.

Drink at Sutter Station Bar and The Kezar Pub

Visit Alcatraz, the Presidio for $10mil dollar houses, Union Square and Pier 1 for shopping, Pier 39 for smelly sea lions.

Drive down Lombard Street (I won't tell you why ;) )

M De Yong Musuem on a Sunday morning and watch the dancing on the way out.

Drive to Golden Gate and hopefully you'll get some fog. If the season is right, go to ANY sports occasion. If not, go to Bar Kezar and watch it.

Go to Monterey. :thumbs:

Alcatraz is worth a look - but you will need to book well in advance. You can't just pitch up on the day.

Yes you can. Lots of boats with spaces when I went in September 2007. :thumbs:

Worst case scenario is book the day before if you want/need a specific time.

Alcatraz is worth a look - but you will need to book well in advance. You can't just pitch up on the day.

I was there september last year and Alcatraz was booked up a week in advance. I went at night, fog came right in and was freaky!

As above, over the bridge in Socilito is nice. Nob Hill is richville and has some nice houses. The architecture is nearly all 1910 onwards due to the 'quake.

It's a nice walking city and they have trolley type tours leaving from the pier area all day so you could get most 'sights' done in a day and get some history in at the same time.