Prospective 350Z owner - needs some guidance

Rainman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I not ask for my posts on here to be tidied deleted? I'm not looking for a fight I was just trying to give advice :thumbdown:

Your quite at liberty to tidy your own posts..................and change your phone ;)

It's this bloody iPhone. If you quote you can't type properly.

You make several reasonable point mate. I hope in return you do not mind if I add my opinion.

Of course not :)

You are right in that people make assumptions, it is an inescapable human nature. In most cases this is based on previous experiences and the information available to them at the time. While I appreciate you may feel that no one has taken you seriously in your initial post, the information given there is the information we have to go on, could I give you insight into my initial impressions?

Actually Rob, I don't feel that no one is taking me seriously as there are a number of very valid and useful comments by the majority of people. The fact is that the derailing of the thread has served to mask the generally friendly nature and also the valid points that many people have already contributed. I can only say that I'm totally guilty in not acknowledging them sooner. In reality there has been more constructive comments made than non-constructive ones and there is just two trolls spoiling the whole thing - not just for me but everyone else. Thankfully I'm not the kind of person to tar everyone with the same brush.

I apologies whole heartedly to anyone that I have not responded back to with an acknowledgment of their experience and also the many welcomes posted too - really it has been useful and just marred by post hijackers.

Your initial post talks of your experience in owning and driving a noble and sub 3 second to 60 bikes. This can be taken in 2 ways, yes you have probably a good backround knowledge, but also you are talking about a bar of performance that is way above a stock zed (yes I appreciate you want to mod but you don't say anywhere that you have experience in this). You currently drive a car that if modded would be as quick as a Zed. It certainly led me to wonder if you had expectations of the car (not your ability) that where too high.

Well I have to admit to having no experience in modding a Z, but then I probably wouldn't be here now if I did ... or at least not for the same reasons.

As for my Leon, whatever it is capable of I see it for what it is ... a practical front wheel drive family hatchback and something I drive every day. I'm more than aware of what it's capable of if I tinkered with it but I've made a concious to decision to keep it stock .... resale value being one reason and the other being that the untapped potential of the Z *could* be on a completely different scale ... depending on where one ventures with it.

I've tried all manner of FWD hatches and the experience of anything more than 200 bhp from a FWD just isn't the same as with RWD. It's not really a valid comparison and there is much more to it than just power-to-weight figures on a piece of paper ... but then you do get people where raw figures are all they care about without thought to how it actually drives once its been fiddled with. Fiddling with my Leon just wouldn't enter my head as to me it's just not the right starting point.

I'm sorry if you feel you've had a bad experience with these guys, ive found them to be nothing but helpful and good banter. Whether you feel you want to share with us on a forum is ultimately your choice mate and ultimately you'll get more from sharing than we would loose.

It's important to keep things in perspective - it's only a couple of individuals. Everyone else has been perfectly nice. It's also interesting that since I made a post in the 'Wanted' section that one of the aforementioned made an attempt to derail that post too - by asking me if I'd 'considered running costs' and he even went as far as stating that if I was only going to spend 6k then I might not have considered that. I just reported his post and it was removed - but why he thought that someone would even care about running costs on 3.5L petrol car is beyond me and I never mentioned a budget ceiling of 6k for a car and the fact is that I'm very flexible. One can only assume that the post was designed to provoke a reaction, and now I'm posting about it here so I guess he did get what he was after in the end - shame he has nothing better to do than troll tbh, and if thats really all he's capable of then I'd take his advise with a pinch of salt anyway. :lol:

Perhaps you could take the time to outline what you are planning to do. I'm sure folks who know much more than I do will be happy to pitch in with ideas and opinions.

It really is early doors at the moment. I have a few options open to me and one particular opportunity to do somethnig really special. Because of the inviduals involved I can't really say much more, but it maybe that I just end up spending the whole of my Q1 and Q2 2012 project budget on a nice car simply to own and drive, if only for the looks of the car as I like them enough.

I am not trying to be inflammatory with this post but simply want to give you the chance to move beyond your and our first impressions and get on with talking about your project. You obviously like your motors. These guys do too. So why not put it behind us and have some fun.

Don't worry mate, no offense taken. I look forward to updating everyone with my progress and we'll see where we go. :thumbs:

Phil

It's important to keep things in perspective - it's only a couple of individuals. Everyone else has been perfectly nice. It's also interesting that since I made a post in the 'Wanted' section that one of the aforementioned made an attempt to derail that post too - by asking me if I'd 'considered running costs' and he even went as far as stating that if I was only going to spend 6k then I might not have considered that. I just reported his post and it was removed - but why he thought that someone would even care about running costs on 3.5L petrol car is beyond me and I never mentioned a budget ceiling of 6k for a car and the fact is that I'm very flexible. One can only assume that the post was designed to provoke a reaction, and now I'm posting about it here so I guess he did get what he was after in the end - shame he has nothing better to do than troll tbh, and if thats really all he's capable of then I'd take his advise with a pinch of salt anyway. :lol:

Swikes - there's a bomb waiting to happen! :lol: In the interests of international and world peace I'll just say honestly I don't think Neily is really the trolling type.....totally honest I think he just didn't realise who's wanted thread he was responding too.

I replied to his post but noticed it disappeared so I edited mine as it didn't make sense any more - I think he just hadn't realised that you were looking to boost a basic stock car up to big power.......his statement is the usual forum response to anyone looking to spend peanuts on a Zed and has little in the way of budget for running costs - just friendly advice to stop someone crippling themselves (and we've seen enough Zeds being bought and slung 3-6 months laters because of costs).

Knowing Neil I think it was a genunine mistake..................either that or he was really trying to twist your nuts up ;)

:wave: welcome to the Club,

The zed does offer a good solid platform to start with if you are looking for a project car. the V6 is very smooth and the power delivery can be deceptive (can feel slower than its actually going)

but like any car it has its faux pas, Weight is an issue at about 1.6 tons its not light, if you track your cars this will mean that she eats pads and discs quicker. but the weight can be combatted either with more power, or a diet. but the down side of the diet, does mean increased cabin noise.

as for the power increase available the zed leaves it self to huge positives and negatives at the same time. Because its a good solid V6 it means that you can bump up from the stock 276 bhp to over 350 bhp without having to use a forged engine. i believe the engine is good for 400 bhp before you need a forged setup. but the down side of the engine is its not easy to tune if you keep it to NA people will spend £1000's to gain only 20-30 bhp where on other cars spending that money can see big gains. its very easy to strap an FI setup on it but as has been said you need to pay big money for it.

what ever your plans are i wish you the best of luck, my usual advice is that if you want to work on something to gain better numbers then by something that came as FI from stock, but if you like the Zed's shape, engine etc and are happy to spend the cash needed to turn it in to what you want; then enjoy the process and i look forward to seein gyour build thread as it progresses.

:thumbs:

Swikes - there's a bomb waiting to happen! :lol: In the interests of international and world peace I'll just say honestly I don't think Neily is really the trolling type.....totally honest I think he just didn't realise who's wanted thread he was responding too.

I replied to his post but noticed it disappeared so I edited mine as it didn't make sense any more - I think he just hadn't realised that you were looking to boost a basic stock car up to big power.......his statement is the usual forum response to anyone looking to spend peanuts on a Zed and has little in the way of budget for running costs - just friendly advice to stop someone crippling themselves (and we've seen enough Zeds being bought and slung 3-6 months laters because of costs).

Knowing Neil I think it was a genunine mistake..................either that or he was really trying to twist your nuts up ;)

It was a genuine mistake as if I realised it was the same guy I wouldn't have said anything as his arrogance towards everyone is a joke. Cheers for clarifying ricey :thumbs:

This chump has made his personality very clear on here.

Cheers again Paul, spot on :thumbs:

Some of you seem incapable of taking a hint.

I warned you to keep things on topic. The fact you have continued to make things personal between the 2 of you has resulted in the locking of this thread for the time being.

Further action may be taken against all concerned.

For the love of God would everyone just get along and act with your head not your bloody keyboard.