Prospective 350Z owner - needs some guidance

Rainman

Hey Guys,

I think I'm in the market for a decent 2nd hand 350Z. Previously I've had a Noble M12 GTO3 which although was an awesome car it ended up being an utterly hellish experience when purchased as a brand new car - I won't bore you with the details but it got really messy and we ended up litigating. Suffice to say it's an experience which has dented my faith in the new car experience and since I'm actually a biker first and foremost I'm going to stick with investing the bulk of my income in my 180mph+ 0-60 in sub 3 seconds bikes.

Currently I'm driving an '02 Seat Leon Cupra which, whilst it has been a cheap and reliable car, it's really not as quick as I'd like. So, my rationale was this ... look for a tidy and early 350Z and spend some cash on getting somewhere near the 360 bhp I was enjoying from the Noble. I'm not expecting it to handle quite like the Noble but I figured I should be able to enjoy a reliable 2nd hand jap car with a huge upgrade potential in terms of both power, handling and looks.

I'd also been looking at spending a little more money and maybe looking at a Boxster S, an M3 or even an S2000 as I've just bought a '07 Honda Civic 1.8 EX VTEC for the wife and my local Honda dealer has a nice one there atm. However, I keep finding myself looking at the 350Z and there is something about pure cubic capacity that just can't be replicated any other way. So, this is the direction I'm gonna follow.

If I'm looking at a '53 plate there appears to be a shed load of them on Autotrader all for a fiver under 6 grand, but just about everyone I've rang they all appear to be imports where the person selling it has omitted it from the advert and probably wouldn't have said anything until I asked them straight. Parkers guide seems to be telling me I should be paying around this for a legit UK 350Z GT model but it seems there are a lot of dishonest f$%£ers out there peddling JDM stuff.

Is Parkers right? Or am I expecting too much? I was thinking of dabbling with an older/cheaper car first perhaps before changing it later in the year for an '06 or later plate - so hopefully won't loose much in 6 to 8 months but also I'll be certain that it's the right car for me.

What do you guys think ?

Phil

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:welcome:

360 BHP you are looking at bolting on a supercharger/turbocharger, which will set you back somewhere in the region of £6k+ I would think. Nothing wrong with JDMs they are perfectly fine and very similar to UK cars, there used to be an argument that insurance was much higher but lots of evidence to say it really isn't that much at all over and above a UK car. Not sure how good Parkers is (I know in the trade they are not getting very good press as a lot of their info is way off the mark) but a 2003 car under £6k is about right. Have a look in the Zeds for Sale section here, you will be able to easily check the history and most Zeds I have seen on meet ups with members have been well looked after, moreso than some randomly floating about on AutoTrader.

PS If you want to spot a JDM model easily, just look at the photo of the rear bumper, if its an original bumper the plate will be square, UK ones are rectangular.

If your cupra is remapped which it should be :lol: it will be faster than a zed. The zed isnt fast. The m3 and boxster S are much quicker. I think test drive one but you will be dissapointed. :thumbs:

Always hating on the z! :thumbdown:

If your cupra is remapped which it should be :lol: it will be faster than a zed. The zed isnt fast. The m3 and boxster S are much quicker. I think test drive one but you will be dissapointed. :thumbs:

Look past your orange dials for once :yawn: .

I love my zed i really do but it isnt the fasting thing out there. come to terms with it alot of cars will beat you. Thats not what I got my zed for so im happy.

Why give the guy biased crappy advice? Are you saying your car is faster than a boxster S or m3?

+1 I've had no issues on track against m3's and passed plenty as they're very heavy also. A bit of work puts the zed way ahead of competitors as its a very well balanced car to drive. A standard zed is very disappointing and soggy and just boring.

Spend 3-4k on engine mods and suspension and you will break the 300bhp barrier and have a good all rounder.

I've went crazy dropping lots of weight out of mines but it's now costing mega bucks. I'm hoping to drop over 100kg and I will be running 400hp with nos so it should be good fun to drive and much quicker and better handling as the Center of gravity will be lower and top end body weight will be reduced massively.

In terms of making 360bhp you'll be around the 10k mark probably including suspension and a charger

+1 I've had no issues on track against m3's and passed plenty as they're very heavy also. A bit of work puts the zed way ahead of competitors as its a very well balanced car to drive. A standard zed is very disappointing and soggy and just boring.

Spend 3-4k on engine mods and suspension and you will break the 300bhp barrier and have a good all rounder.

I've went crazy dropping lots of weight out of mines but it's now costing mega bucks. I'm hoping to drop over 100kg and I will be running 400hp with nos so it should be good fun to drive and much quicker and better handling as the Center of gravity will be lower and top end body weight will be reduced massively.

In terms of making 360bhp you'll be around the 10k mark probably including suspension and a charger

The m3 has between 40 and 60 more bhp though.

My Cupra isn't an R and is completely and utterly stock. I bought it purely as a cheap runaround about 18 months ago and it's ticked that box as all I've had to spend money on is tyres, oil and filters. It's just turned 90k miles so it's on the low side for a 10 year old car and it's tidy, but the looks are pretty dull if I'm honest. Don't get me wrong, it's done me great and it's not dull to drive but I feel that as a front wheel drive s already near-ish the limit of it's potential.

Don't forget - I've got no plans whatsoever to keep a 350Z in stock trim and I would really like a good project to get my teeth into. If I headed in the Boxster S direction I wouldn't consider tuning at all and I as far as the M3 is concerned I'd have to be spending a fair bit more on a similarly aged car. In the past I've also owned a couple of different Lotus Elise so I love RWD cars and the increased useable potential they can offer when you start dabbling

Phil

In real life it doesn't make a difference. On track the last time I was there, an m3 was on and I passed him on the straight, also a fezza 355, vids are on YouTube. Alot of it is to do with the driver also so remember that. In a drag race with my bro's 911 c4s I was evenly matched to about 135 and then it pushed on ever so slightly.

I know i can push harder than a standard m3 through corners, my speed is faster out the corner. I didn't spend so much money on suspension for no reason.

As said a standard zed is pretty soggy and boring. On track I was evenly matched with a 370z although the extra torque it had was noticeable coming out a corner, on the straights I caught back up easily.

In real life it doesn't make a difference. On track the last time I was there, an m3 was on and I passed him on the straight, also a fezza 355, vids are on YouTube. Alot of it is to do with the driver also so remember that. In a drag race with my bro's 911 c4s I was evenly matched to about 135 and then it pushed on ever so slightly.

I know i can push harder than a standard m3 through corners, my speed is faster out the corner. I didn't spend so much money on suspension for no reason.

As said a standard zed is pretty soggy and boring. On track I was evenly matched with a 370z although the extra torque it had was noticeable coming out a corner, on the straights I caught back up easily.

Im talking like for like standard and standard and the same driver ideally. Obviously driver, tyres and mods will make a different. Im just saying the zed doesnt fit his need IMO but drive one you might love it. :thumbs:

My wee brother has a 330ci, in a straight line my almost stock zed is only a fraction quicker. I'd like to think I'd paste him round a track but he's actually prob a better driver than me (not that I'll ever tell him that :blush:)

Well I'm kinda sorry I posted really. I only wanted some buying advise and thought I'd introduce myself at the same time. Thanks for the info offered by Coldel, which confirms everything I had expected and means I'll stay on track and stick by my guns when it comes to looking for a genuine Z.

To everyone else that hijacked my post and turned it into their own little p155ing contest ...

Guys, seriously, if I had 50K to spend on a car do you really think I'd even be here asking for advise on a 350Z?

The fact is that in this day and age I don't have that kinda dosh at my disposal any more. I'm not looking for a Noble killer and if I was then a 350Z would be the last thing on my list. Instead I'm trying to be realistic while looking for a rear wheel drive project car that I can drive every day and over a period of time start unlocking it's potential. My budget isn't unlimited, but it's pretty open-ended. I fully expect to spend the value of the car a couple times over during the space of a couple of years before I get it where I want it to be. To me that kind of expenditure is much easier to live with rather than blowing it all in one go on a car where it's market value will drop like a stone.

If I wanted to start a war over which car is better I would have posted on Piston Heads instead. Some folks missed the point of my post entirely ... I didn't ask 'whats better?' I wanted to know if my expectation was misguided. If thats the kinda response I'm gonna get round here I might just keep my project to myself. Jeez.

Oh and btw - some people need to learn how to 'quote' on forums properly so that your messages doesn't get lost in the noise of re-posted and regurgitated text.

My first post and hijacked into the ground - thanks.

Guess I'll see you around ... or maybe not ... who knows.

Phil

:welcome: Phil,

They were bantering against themselves, not against you. It's a regular contest between a few forum members, and just something to get used to. and nowhere near as bad as you will find on many forums.

At no point did I see them try to drag you into it or insult you, so please don't take it personally.

The VQ35DE engine is pretty solid up to around 400bhp (which is where the associated torque generated kills the internals.

360 on a stock motor is easily achievable with the right modifications. The cheapest route would be for a S/C set up which could be dont for a little over £6k if you are not stingy. But it can be done for less if you do the work yourself and sourxe the best price items.

A TT kit would be around £8-10k depending.

Vortec, GTM, and HKS are the main s/c kits. GTM also do a turn key TT kit which is supposed to be pretty good.

My recommendation would be to call Abbey Motorsport and have a chat with Mark there about exactly what it is you want from the car. He will be able to point you in the right direction, and get you prices for kits and fitting. :thumbs:

Hopefully Lexx has covered all the points you wanted covering Phil. Long and short is the Zed block is strong but the internals tend not to handle the torque associated with power much past 400HP. To get to 360HP then you'd be looking at going forced induction and as you are looking to spend the cost of the car a couple times over in modding then this is well within your reach. You should also be able to get a good project car for about £6k I would say.

And yes its a shame that threads can sometime be derailed with the same arguments day in day out around here. As with any busy forum ;)

Ok, I dont really normally get involved in things like this. For the OP. you have to realise that we get newbies asking the same questions day in day out. Since the 350z has dropped in price dramatically there are alot of buyers picking up zeds for 5 - 6k and thinking that they can get 380 - 400 bhp on a grand or two. However.... reading your second post it seems that you have the right idea and realise the cost issues.... i.e. knowing that it is going to cost you 6 - 7k extra.

As for a couple of sh!tty comments on your behalf.... mate there is no need... its an open forum... haters are going to hate.. just brush it off and dont get involved in the crap. I have always said that the 350z is a great lookin car and for the money you pay a fantastic performance car. Yes its not the fastest on the market but damn you can have some amount of fun in it :thumbs:

I think Lexx and Chris have covered the rest. Let us know how you get on with your zed search :)