Darren-B`s Vortech Fun & Games

Darren-B

In the end I ended up pushing a low pressure gas hose through (lubed up) then taping it to the fuel hose & pulling through,

Yes running about 50-55 FP @ atmospheric pressure, as anything lower than that & it leans out under any load. I`m running a base map, from your earlier setup with some more timing retardation & 4.5k rev limit.

Feel free to post up pics of your filter when you fit it ;)

:lol: The other night when you said you'd had a bad night I was gonna say I bet it was routing the return fuel hose! I wish I had now! :lol:

I found it much easier pushing it down the through the gap from inside the car. I suppose I could have told you that first. :lol:

Its a good feeling when you turn the key and all is well eh? :D(just don't tell keyser as I'm not sure he's experienced that feeling yet) :lol:

What FP you running? 52 psi ?

Keep up the good work.

I got a delivery of a new K&N RX-4140 air filter and breather filter today, just waiting for the pipework now then will make up my CAI. Fitted the Oil Catch Can yeasterday and works well. :)

For your info the above K&N RX-4140 Filter has the 90mm fitting, can fit straight on the end of the Vortech and sticks through the intake hole or can be used on a CAI and will fit between the rad and crash bar without any probs.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end I ended up pushing a low pressure gas hose through (lubed up) then taping it to the fuel hose & pulling through,

Yes running about 50-55 FP @ atmospheric pressure, as anything lower than that & it leans out under any load. I`m running a base map, from your earlier setup with some more timing retardation & 4.5k rev limit.

Feel free to post up pics of your filter when you fit it ;)

Yeah that hose is a bit of a pig eh? Lucky I've got little hands, so once I figured out it was best pushed down from the top it wasn't much bother.

Oh right, handing my maps out to any Tom, Dick and Harry now are they? I'll have to have words :boxing::p That's a great way round it though and makes sense seeing as you're running the same S/C, MAF and Injectors I am.

I'm hoping to fit something in the way of a CAI this week if the parts get here and it stops ****ing raining for more that 5 mins!! :rant:

I'll stick some picks up when done. I'll have to do my own thread one day. :blush: Cheers for the heads up on the CAI pipe sizes saved me going out in the rain and measuring up. :thumbs:

Could someone please explain what the FRS actually does apart from returning fuel to the tank?

I mean why is it needed?

I'm no expert and could be wrong,- but the FRS allows........edit: Rather tan type it all out I've copied this from the AAM website -

"One negative aspect of the factory return less system is that the factory fuel pressure regulator is installed in the fuel tank. The factory fuel pressure regulator does not allow fuel pressure adjustments and is incapable of holding consistent fuel pressure with most aftermarket fuel pumps. The factory fuel pressure regulator is also unable to add fuel pressure under boost.

This system is a must have for any forced induction supercharged or turbocharged vehicle and any big shot nitrous vehicles because the AAM Competition Fuel Return System removes the factory regulator's control of fuel pressure and replaces the control with a vacuum/boost sensitive adjustable fuel pressure regulator. This allows you to adjust both the level of base fuel pressure and increase fuel pressure under boost."

:)

For example; Without a FRS, your FI car ran 52 psi base Fuel pressure, when you were boosting at 10 psi your effectively reducing your FP to 42 psi due to having to overcome the 10psi in your engine. So to get enough fuel in the engine you would have to tune the ecu to leave the injectors open for longer or it would run lean.

WITH a FRS The external regulator uses boost/vacuum as a reference - so for every 1psi boost your Supercharger/turbo produces the regulator add 1psi to your fuel pressure, effectively giving a consistent FP seen at the injectors.

........ I think . :blush:

:lol:

(just don't tell keyser as I'm not sure he's experienced that feeling yet) :lol:

:boxing::lol:

I have even have a video of it! Just didnt last very long before I had to take it all apart again! :bangin:

Sorry for sidetracking, I only ask because the S/C setup in my bro's car doesn't have a FRS.

I do wonder tho whether his choice of using an AEM Engine Management System makes up for it.

I ran an SC without FRS - you can tune round it but it's better to have it - also the fuel rails hold more fuel mine say 500% more so no chance of a lean burn when demand suddenly increases - hard acceleration or NOS firing for example

My FRS pipe went in easy - but the fuel tank was out :lol:

Daz stock fuel pressure is 3 bar or 45psi.

The map you have isn't Sam's , I have done a load of S/C installs, it is a generic Abbey map I load to people self fitting S/C kits that's why it has a lower Rev limit added.

Changing any flow on the air intake will change the fuelling maps I feel.

For example; Without a FRS, your FI car ran 52 psi base Fuel pressure, when you were boosting at 10 psi your effectively reducing your FP to 42 psi due to having to overcome the 10psi in your engine. So to get enough fuel in the engine you would have to tune the ecu to leave the injectors open for longer or it would run lean.

WITH a FRS The external regulator uses boost/vacuum as a reference - so for every 1psi boost your Supercharger/turbo produces the regulator add 1psi to your fuel pressure, effectively giving a consistent FP seen at the injectors.

........ I think .

top marks for paying attention @ School Sam.

top marks for paying attention @ School Sam.

:yahoo: Cheers Mark. I do try to listen and understand when people explain things to me. ;)

This is interesting, I was planning on relocating my air filter to behind the front bumper. I would be using 90mm piping so shouldn't restrict the airflow.

Can you explain your thoughts on this please Mark, I was under the impression that as the alterations would be before the MAF sensor, any changes in airflow on the intake (as long as its not restricted) would be negated as the MAF output would determine the fueling?

Quick Update:

A big thanks to Mark after our conversation earlier :thumbs:

Turned out my FP was a little high as I hadn`t drilled a big enough hole in the swirl jet, problem solved & now have a steady 45psi @ atmospheric & the car runs good AFR when driven.

Shall be dropping the car off on Friday afternoon

Daz stock fuel pressure is 3 bar or 45psi.

The map you have isn't Sam's , I have done a load of S/C installs, it is a generic Abbey map I load to people self fitting S/C kits that's why it has a lower Rev limit added.

So as expected the new machinery arrived this afternoon & I`ve had a big grin on my face ever since :teeth: even thought the zed has been taken out the garage :scare:

Wed25th001.jpg

Can you tell what it is yet?

Wed25th010.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: pmsl

:bang:

That gave me more than a little chuckle too :lol:

Are you two still laughing at me? :blush:

Update: I`m dropping the car off to Abbey this afternoon. Hopefully Mark will be able to get her tuned next week sometime as he is mega busy at the moment

• 2 weeks later...