Darren-B`s Vortech Fun & Games

Darren-B

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

Replacing hinges on drivers door, Check!

Finding a faulty airbag connectionCheck, thanks to Mark @ Abbey :thumbs:

Cleaning & sealing all ali parts under the car & Under-sealingCheck, blinking messy job that was

Berk HFC & Milltek Check, thanks to Will370zy :thumbs:

Doesn`t look like I`ll be spending much time with the better half this winter :sly:Check, we have split up :surrender:

So things still on the list:

Replacing Clutch & Flywheel (single or DMF)???? It ain`t broke yet

Re-spraying the bonnet, bumper & wings maybe next year I have bigger fish to fry

Removing & re-furbing Brembo callipers maybe next year I have bigger fish to fry

Possible poly bushing Still a maybe

& a new list :teeth:

Vortech V3 Centrifugal Supercharger

CJ stage 0 fuel system with regulator

Deatschwerk 600CC Injectors

Iridium 8 heat range Spark Plugs

GT Mass Airflow Meter

UpRev Map

Walbro 255 in tank Fuel Pump

Wideband AFR Guage kit (Already have from my last build)

Boost guage (Already have from my last build)

Oil pan spacer (maybe, will have to see what sort of temps I`ll be running as I have a large cooler which is currently 2/3rds covered with NA as it`s to efficient)

Interesting :thumbs: What products did you use for the underneath of the car?

For cleaning the unpainted ali parts, I used a diluted wheel cleaner mixture, & a brush with plenty of elbow grease. I did try a steamer which worked but half the time you can`t see what your doing with all the steam, so gave up with that idea. The underside wash was a mixture of steaming & soapy water then after drying, treated any rusty patches with a rust remover gel & drill mounted wire brush, then painted with oxide primer, finally gave the underside & wheel arches a good coat of hammerite underbody sealant (aka waxoyl)

Thanks Darren. I want to get round to this sometime. All I did in the short term was put some rust remover gel on the most dodgy looking mild steel parts to buy me a bit of time... but that was a year ago :blush: I might try Autoglym engine cleaner for the alloy bits - am presuming its less corrosive.

Thanks Darren. I want to get round to this sometime. All I did in the short term was put some rust remover gel on the most dodgy looking mild steel parts to buy me a bit of time... but that was a year ago :blush: I might try Autoglym engine cleaner for the alloy bits - am presuming its less corrosive.

Yes that may be a better product, after using it to clean I then rinsed with soapy water to remove the acid, Also I`ve heard the dishwasher powder is good for cleaning milled ali, but not tried it myself

• 2 weeks later...

Look what DHL delivered today

SuperCharging001.jpg

& inside:

SuperCharging033.jpg:teeth:

A big thanks to Chris @ Tarmac Sportz for sourcing this for me :thumbs:

So I thought I would make a start this eveing by removing the fuel pump assembly,

FuelSystem1.jpg

then dismantling to remove swap the stock pump for the Walbro, a couple of slight mods required to make it fit

FuelSystem2.jpg

Fuel pump assembly re assembled, then increased the diameter of the swirl jet to compensate for the additional pressure

FuelSystem3.jpg

& thats all I could do on the fuel system until the FRS arrives, hopefully early next week

So then got the front end ready for the install tomorrow. removed the bumper & undertray, not sure if the bumper is entirely necessary but it saves me damaging it

SuperCharging009.jpg

Then strut bar, intake pipes, belts & engine cover

SuperCharging035.jpg

Before I came in I had to just make a start by setting out a little pipework, :)

SuperCharging039.jpg

We know where you're going to be this weekend!!! :thumbs: Can't wait to see the finished product mate, J, is working all weekend so if you need a hand just shout although I suspect you won't need it :D (where's the spanner smiley when you really need it? :shrug:) Well just shout if you get lonely :)

In your first picture you listed your mods so far but you missed an all important one that must be worth at least 5bhp......... Zed oil filler cap :thumbs::lol:

Good luck with it buddy :cloud9:

Glad it arrived safe Darren, you can't trust those Americans you know ;)

Enjoy the journey and the smile once it's boosted :thumbs:

Oh and just be careful Darren, we all know what you're like, so no broken legs or small metal objects to be dropped through engine.

Good luck :thumbs:

Vortech 7-UP awesome B):lol:

Well the Vortech 7-up came at a premium, Shame they didn`t send me a bottle of No.7 ;)

:clap: Nice, make sure you take lots of photos and a step by step guide :thumbs:

Good luck

I shall be taking pictures but probably not to the extent of Keyser, I tend to forget about the camera once I get stuck into something & by the time I think about taking pictures I`m done :blush:

We know where you're going to be this weekend!!! :thumbs: Can't wait to see the finished product mate, J, is working all weekend so if you need a hand just shout although I suspect you won't need it :D (where's the spanner smiley when you really need it? :shrug:) Well just shout if you get lonely :)

In your first picture you listed your mods so far but you missed an all important one that must be worth at least 5bhp......... Zed oil filler cap :thumbs::lol:

Good luck with it buddy :cloud9:

Graham, you didn`t spot the Nismo Rad cap :thumbdown: thats got to be worth another 2 :lol:

As to previous visitors to "The Kent Zed Shed" I`ll be here most of the weekend (but might be going shooting tomorrow) so feel free to come up, just call me first incase I have a change of plans.

looks good so far mate i really like the red plenum!

we are going to have very similarly spec'd zeds as im doing a few more mods like FRS, injectors and MAF followed by an uprev!

i need to get a thread going im too lazy though!!!

did you paint the strut brace bolts and then laquer them or are they just new red bolts mate? as i want to do the same as it looks much better!

Day 2, Friday 06/04 The Big Install, after a much deserved lie in & a café breakfast

Had my trusty assistant Seve at hand to help transport tools into the garden for burying. Supercharging_day20041.jpg

He took quite a fancy to the Silicone hoses, that was when he got the sack

So firstly I continued with fitting the pipe ducting

Supercharging_day20042.jpg

Supercharging_day20043.jpg

Then It was time to mount the blower onto it`s bracket

Supercharging_day20044.jpg

Supercharging_day20045.jpg

Then to offer it into the car, this is where the instructions became less useful. Had to do a few extra bits here so that it would fit without kinking pipes & wearing cables. First of all was to remove these 2 hose brackets

Supercharging_day200410.jpg

I then offered the blower in to find that it didn`t fit!!

The kit has obviously been designed by yanks who drive on the wrong side, so on a RHD the wiring is routed to the passenger’s side of the vehicle, right where the blower is to be mounted.

Supercharging_day200412.jpg

So after a little cursing I re-routed the offending cables, had to open the main engine loom a little to get a bit of slack for the MAF cable & the AC clutch

Supercharging_day200414.jpg

So had another go @ fitting, most was good but I wasn`t quite happy with one of the coolant hoses, was a little tight for my liking

Supercharging_day200416.jpg

So a little trim for this one

Supercharging_day200417.jpg

Then all was good

Supercharging_day200414-1.jpg

Next was intercooler time, firstly had to re-route the wiring to the horns, outside temp sensor & Ac sensor so that the run behind the black housing, move the Temp sensor so that it wouldn`t be behind the IC & make a new bracket to support the PS cooler & Oil cooler

Supercharging_day200419.jpg

Superchargingfinaltouches009.jpg

Superchargingfinaltouches011.jpg

Then I could get the Intercooler in, but luckily I spotted this before plumbing it all together

Supercharging_day200420-1.jpg

Some kind of green polishing stone properly wedged in the pipe. This was quite concerning so I had to remove the other pipes to check that they were clear of foreign objects

Intercooler on

Supercharging_day200423.jpg

Supercharging_day200435.jpg

Blow off valve then fitted

Supercharging_day200434.jpg

& plumbed in

Supercharging_day200433.jpg

The hose supplied with the kit was the incorrect diameter, It had an internal diameter of about 18mm, luckily I had some spare vacuum hose lying around.

Had to remove the auxiliary water bottle to get the IC pipework in, this is the one on the passsengers side & has the headlight washer pump mounted on the side. I didn`t really want to lose the headlight washers so I decided to modify the system a little by using the existing pipework & mounting the pump inline, works a treat & saves me a little weight

Supercharging_day200443.jpg

Supercharging_day200444.jpg

Then mounted securely

Supercharging_day200446.jpg

Supercharging_day200440.jpg

Then I couldn`t hold on anymore, I had to see if it was going to work before tidying the wiring & putting the bumper back on, so had a quick check to make sure all belts were clear & then this

th_VID-20120406-00028.jpg

Success, no leaks or rubbing.

So it was then time for a beer,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAmA6QCXlGtAEG-_f28LVRtUO4kdl8AS3jyOOR5kizzB9MmLye

& a tidy up, wiring re-sealed & tidied

Supercharging_day200450.jpg

Supercharging_day200451.jpg

Superchargingfinaltouches018.jpg

Superchargingfinaltouches020.jpg

Bumper back on

Supercharging_day200454.jpg

& Engine cover trimmed & re-fitted

Superchargingfinaltouches024.jpg

All in all I have found the Vortech kit fairy straight forward to install, I have made a few amendments to the installation manual as some of it doesn`t work on RHD cars, but nothing major. I have got plans to make some further modifications to the pipework. The silicone hoses provided are very short & with a few of the angles not quite marrying up perfectly it has meant that a couple of the hose clips are quite close to the edges. I have ordered some replacement hose of each diameter in a metre length so that I can replace the ones which are a little short. Also there were a few washers missing but no big deal.

looks good so far mate i really like the red plenum!

we are going to have very similarly spec'd zeds as im doing a few more mods like FRS, injectors and MAF followed by an uprev!

i need to get a thread going im too lazy though!!!

did you paint the strut brace bolts and then laquer them or are they just new red bolts mate? as i want to do the same as it looks much better!

It`s taken me 3days to be bothered to sit @ the PC & upload all the pics, :surrender:

I did paint & lacquer the bolts but didn`t like them so I removed the paint on Thursday, If I had read you post we could have swapped them ;)