Darren-B`s Vortech Fun & Games

Darren-B

WOW... wtf, my build took weeks... I think some others on here been going for months!!

Great stuff! :thumbs:

I`m actually getting a little frustrated with it as I`m still waiting for parts so I can`t really continue with anything.

I`m going to wait until the car is running until I change all the fluids, that way I can get them warmed up a little before dropping them so that I can get more of the old oils out

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW... wtf, my build took weeks... I think some others on here been going for months!!

Great stuff! :thumbs:

I`m actually getting a little frustrated with it as I`m still waiting for parts so I can`t really continue with anything.

I`m going to wait until the car is running until I change all the fluids, that way I can get them warmed up a little before dropping them so that I can get more of the old oils out

Don't worry mate, it'll all be worth it in the end.

A Vortech zed is about 50x better then an N/A zed! :D

I've had a look at your spec list and it's pretty much identical to mine! - Great minds and all that! :)

Instead of the oil pan spacer though, I'm going to opt for the Greddy Baffled sump, not much more money but will perform better on an FI zed I think.

What are you going to do for the exhaust setup? :)

EDIT - I just seen it, Stock headers, Milltek and Berk HFC? - I've still got a milltek lying around somewhere.

UPDATE

The last few days have been boring & slow, I`m still yet to get the FRS :yawn: but I have received a few other bits :D

Stillen engine damper & replacement fuel tank seal from ZMANALEX quick service as always :thumbs:

enginedamper5.jpg

So got the damper fitted in about 20minutes

enginedamper3.jpg

enginedamper4.jpg

Also I got a big black hose :ninja:

Hosemods3.jpg

Which I used to replace the supplied (SHort) hoses

Hosemods4.jpg

to this, I now have a little more tolerance with clearance & alignment issues

Hosemods7.jpg

I also got my Lambda boss welded into the exhaust for when the new AFR kit turns up, the one from my last install has seen better days

lAMBDAbOSS.jpg

The new mini catch can arrived today to so went about fitting that to.

Fixed the mounting bracket to the power steering reservoir bracket

CatchCanJPG2.jpg

CatchCanJPG1.jpg

Then Mounted the can

CatchCanJPG3.jpg

It was fairly loose in the bracket so I used a little silicone hose to clamp it tight

Using the stock pipe from the rocker cover, which has a one way valve at the rocker cover, so no worries there when running boost

CatchCanJPG5.jpg

Then connected up with a few hose clips & new piece of braided fuel line to the plenum, job done. Only took about 20mins

CatchCanJPG4.jpg

I then decided to get the plenum off ready for the FRS,

FuelSystem003.jpg

Also removed the plugs ready for when they arrive & run a new coolant hose to bypass the TB.

I have my fingers crossed that a few more bits turn up in the morning, otherwise it`s going to be a drunk weekend :drunk:

See your little helper is on hand - looks like he's sniffing a rat up that pipe :lol:

Hosemods3.jpg

I'm coming to the conclusion it pays to have small hands installing all the bits, something I don't possess aside from the lack of technical knowledge/confidence to do what you are doing :blush:

Colin,

viewtopic.php?f=176&t=54567&start=720

From the latest testament page 49 verse 4

Anyone who knows which end of a screwdriver to hold can do what I have done on here I'm a self taught welder wiring I do know from the Army, Most parts come with instructions and Google will find someone somewhere who has done something almost identical before :thumbs:

The rest is down to one of a few things either

1. The Balls to try

2. Too stupid to realise you don't have the skills to do it and blag the difference

3. The blind belief that if he can do it so can I

I'll let you decide which one applies to me :lol:

Just follow points 1-3 & all will be fine ;)

If not, PM Keyser

Colin,

Anyone who knows which end of a screwdriver to hold can do what I have done on here I'm a self taught welder wiring I do know from the Army, Most parts come with instructions and Google will find someone somewhere who has done something almost identical before :thumbs:

1. The Balls to try

2. Too stupid to realise you don't have the skills to do it and blag the difference

If not, PM Keyser

I'll stick to admiring others skills and work, unless you have Dr Who powers and can transport me back in time :shrug:

And find me a house with a good sized garage :lol:

Colin,

1. The Balls to try

If not, PM Keyser

I find lack of tools / space / other vehicle to use while i'm destroying mine is the main hold up, i'll happily change my brakes and easily bolted on stuff but not everyone has a pit in their garage, let alone a garage at all :(

I find lack of tools / space / other vehicle to use while i'm destroying mine is the main hold up, i'll happily change my brakes and easily bolted on stuff but not everyone has a pit in their garage, let alone a garage at all :(

^^^^^

these are just mere excuses :p

A quick update from the weekend,

Had to work on Saturday so no car fun, so spent a couple of hours tinkering & wasting time on Sunday as I`m still waiting for the important bits to arrive.

I`ve been thinking of re-locating the air filter before I`ve even run the car :blush:

I had one of these lying around

Sunday15-04012.jpg

So stripped it to this as it was to big

Sunday15-04013.jpg

Sunday15-04014.jpg

I then got some of these

Sunday15-04017.jpg

& did this

Sunday15-04020.jpg

Sunday15-04022.jpg

Sunday15-04023.jpg

This should help with reducing intake temps. But I have removed it for the tune just incase it causes any complications.

Also in the cardboard box was this

Sunday15-04018.jpg

which is going to be fitted to the rocker breather like so

Sunday15-04019.jpg

The hose will be trimmed to suit once the plenum is re-fitted

I then added some bling to the oil cooler hoses

Sunday15-04025.jpg

Sunday15-04038.jpg

Well I didn`t add the braiding for bling, just to protect the pipes from chaffing, no0one likes chaffing

Finally I added an extra bracket to support the intercooler ducting a little better

Sunday15-04030.jpg

Sunday15-04032.jpg

Sunday15-04035.jpg

I finally removed the Drivers seat to allow more access for the fitting of the FRS on Thursday (fingers crossed) & also removed the ECU which is going to Mark @ Abbey for a base map on Thursday too.

Today has not been a wonderful day, I`ve been waiting for my PLX DM100 OBDII, AFR, BOOST,2xTEMP Sensor modules for 3weeks now, been in touch with the supplier today & he has changed his delivery date from 20-april to end of May - Beginning of June :dry: Those of you who know me will probably know what my reply was :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

On the plus side it`s given me plenty of beer tokens for the weekend :)

Nice work darren, sorry to hear about the delayed parts.

Does that mean wales is a no go for the zed?

I will buy another Zed for Wales if mine is not ready. I am not missing it

The Gauge`s are not entirely necessary & The FRS is now in the UK so I`m really hoping to have the car back together & tuned within the next 10-14days