Rip. Dan Wheldon, indy car driver

iain10101

Was watching it live on SS4 last night, absolutely shocking stuff. Just watching the 5 lap parade tribute now on YT, incredibly emotional to see and whilst I didn't think they should've done it at first, now I can see that I was completely wrong.

RIP Dan. :(

All over the news this morning, very sad. I watched the video, although it wasn't the main cause of death I suspect, it was surprising how quickly those cars ignited, plenty of them immediately burst into flames - maybe I am wrong but you do not see that in F1 when there are pile ups.

it was surprising how quickly those cars ignited, plenty of them immediately burst into flames - maybe I am wrong but you do not see that in F1 when there are pile ups.

To be fair i think most of those were oil fires simply because Indy cars run on methanol fuel and not petrol and normally when methanol burns the flame is very hard to see. :) But the good thing with methanol fires is the fact that they can be put out with water unlike petrol. ;)

RIP.

Having never understood oval racing it's only confirmed the pointlessness of it for me.

Apart from the fact that it's dull to watch, the potential for huge accidents like this is frightening. I can see the argument that when cars do have an accident they drift out to the wall in 'relative' safety but this catastrophe shows what can happen when a car gets into trouble at v-max in the midst of a 200mph pack. Really sad and a great loss.

V sad.

Although Franchitti is quoted as saying things were getting a 'bit crazy' by the second lap...if he says that then :scare: it must've been getting a bit hairy - the video and photos doing the rounds online are horrific.

Not comparing them in anyway but reminds me of seeing Senna sitting there twitching as he passed :blink:

RIP Dan.

Saw the video online after he was airlifted to hospital, never seen anything like it.

Almost unreal, make me cold thinking about it.

Surely the organisers should have made changes before the race, there was far too many cars on the track.

Guess we should be greatful the cars are as safe as they are, otherwise it could have been a lot worse.