300hp and 500kg...

Howdy Y'all

Brand spanking new in here, so go easy!

I've been contemplating a Seven-type kitcar build with a 350Z engine for a while now. I hopefully have a window in my project calendar starting next year, so I took the plunge and got myself a non-running core-engine to strip and re-build with some trick bits!

No idea what was wrong with the engine yet... the external cases are all structurally good... I wonder what I'll find inside!!!

Anyway. The plan is to fix whatever has made it sick and then complete with a set of cams, Jenvey throttle bodies, straight through exhausts and aftermarket ECU.

I'm hoping for 300hp... which in a 550kg rear-wheel drive car should be quite, erm, lively!

Unfortunately I don't have any details from the car that the engine came from. I see it is the non 'rev-up' variant, but I've no clue beyond that!

I'm a little puzzled about the engine number though... it has the serial-number and ends 'VQ35', but there's no further letters after that (I would have expected a 'DE' or the likes... can anyone shed any light???).

Let the stripping begin! :yahoo:

scootz-albums-scootz-picture42517-zengine.jpg

Cheers fellas!

It was going to be a V8 build, but the more that I read about the Nissan V6, the more I realised that it would offer more than I could ever use. It should also be a fair bit lighter than a V8 (will weigh it at the weekend).

I'll be using the 350Z gearbox with it... and most likely the Nissan LSD.

I just hope that the inside is not as chewed up as it could be! Oh well, I guess there are plenty of nice and shiny aftermarket bits out there if I do need to replace rods, pistons, or cranks!

I take it the fact that the engine number just ends VQ35 and not VQ35DE is neither here nor there?

If you require OEM parts for the car (loom etc) then we have a resident trader who has all that kinda thing in stock "ZMANALEX"

The VQ35 comes in 3 guises. 2 DE models are the non rev-up (276) and the rev-up (296) then there is a VQ35HR (309).

Brilliant project. I'll be very interested in seeing it come together.

I hope you've researched ITBs thoroughly...... Adam@Z1 has a 'built' NA engine with 300WHP. Sounds awesome but it it has had mega money spent.

I think the ITBs might be very difficult to make work..... Vortech Supercharger could offer a great sound to a 'Seven' and give you 400bhp.

Hi , sounds a good project;

ITB work well on these motors if you use a aftermarket Engine management system , DTA have worked out how to use the stock flywheel pick up's , so you dont have to add a 36-1 crank trigger. They can also control the cam control.

We can allow you to keep the whole stock engine ECU and wiring and fly by wire thou, which will make it a real easy install , there is only a few wires to connect via relays to allow the car to be run on a stock ECU ( we can also turn off the NATS code to help you)

to run 300bhp you dont need to do any internal work.

But if you stripping the motor , a set of cams and a increase in compression ratio will help. The limiting factor on the DE motor is the con rods and valve train w ehave found.

Any questions ask away.

Mark

Thanks guys.

I had a bit of time spare today so whipped off one of the heads.

It was going far too smoothly, and then I broke the timing-assembly cover... I just don't know my own strength!!! :teeth: I never noticed that there were 2 vertical bolts coming up from the sump at the bottom of the cover. Oh well... won't be doing that again.

Plenty of shrapnel in all 3 offside cylinders... I wonder where I'll find the culprit(s) of the mayhem!?

I've not had a chance to inspect all the valves yet, but it looks like they might have just about survived.

Oh well... my £350 gamble didn't pay off! :dry:

Took the other head off and found that someone (probably France) had been nuclear testing inside the block! Armageddon!

So I have one good head assembly... one head (core) that just might be salvageable... timing-assembly... rocker covers... and a sump! I haven't had a proper look form the bottom, but reckon there is now't salvageable in the crank assembly and the block looks knacked!

Back to eBay methinks... unless, of course, anyone on here has a block going spare! :D

There are pics of the carnage in my album... and, yes... that strange meteorite-like item used to be a piston! :D

Mate I have a low mileage VQ35DE with FSH and gearbox attached. The engine has every ancilliary still on it and the wiring loom. It is dry stored in a heated garage and I can supply an ECU that Abbey can remap for you to nearly 300bhp and turn off the NATS.

Many of the scrap yard engines you will find are exactly that 'Scrap'. Even some suppliers store them outside with a tarp thrown over them :surrender:

PM sent :thumbs: