The Next Step - or when 400HP is just not enough!

Keyser

Start of the evolution to 500BHP

So I casually mentioned to Andlid the other night in "the champagne room" (as he now has his own private chat room :#1: ) that I could possibly be interested in buying his old engine or long block from him, the idea was to buy a spare block and over the next 12 months strip it down send it off to the machine shop for some work and over a period of time build a forged bottom end so I can increase the BHP of the Zed without blowing it up!

It's turns out that that he actually part exchanged his long block when he got his new forged engine built. He kindly emailed the guy that he part x'd with to see if it was for sale - No.

Unfortunately for my bank balance the story didn't end there! This chap just happened to have a forged engine with less than 4 hours running time for sale! This was the spec he sent back -

• tomei pro cams

• brian crower valve springs and valve caps

• 3 angle valve seats

• ported cylinder heads

• skimmed heads (0.5mm)

• OEM full gasket set

• shortblock balanced

• eagle h-beam rods

• arp rod bolts

• cp 95.5mm 11.0:1cr forged pistons

• acl race main bearings

• acl race big end bearings

• acl race thrust washers

• rev-up oil pump

• always (for the 2-3hours its been run) ran lucas 10w-60 fully synth & k&n oil filter & optimax

:cloud9::cloud9:

Now I know this would easily do what I wanted but would not be able to afford it but good old Andlid made a sterling effort to get me divorced :angry: and put me directly in touch with the seller - I'm afraid he was asking incredibly sensible money for it so only 3 days later I have paid the deposit, should be collecting it the last week in August! :yahoo:

The Plan

The only down side is I have to step up time scales slightly as this is a long block swap so the engine has to come out of my Zed and be stripped so I can swap it for the new block.

I already have some rather nice parts to move over -

Vortech Supercharger

FMIC

Walbro Fuel Pump

Utec ECU with Map Selector

APS Plenum

APS Oil Pan

RC550cc injectors

Decat Invidia G200 Exhaust

Berks HFC's (New)

AMS lightweight pulley set (New)

JWT Clutch and Flywheel

That can all feed power out to the Kaaz LSD

The Utec will probably have to go in favour of a remap and the Vortech is getting a 2 step smaller drive pulley (along with a new oil injector thanks for the tip Sam :thumbs: ) to increase the boost slightly.

Aiming for 450WHP - initial enquires seem to think this will be very achievable and well inside the abilities of the new bottom end.

Although a few factors will come into play - Fuel system, Headers maybe? and the biggest thing that's worrying me about taking this route is detonation I will be running High static CR and low boost as opposed to the more traditional low CR and higher boost - A good tune should allow me to do this but possible further requirements would be a water/meth injection system to keep inlet temps down. Time will tell!

A few pics of the engine block build -

IMAG0344.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

O and no my garage isn't finished still waiting for planning

but I have the ramps ready :scare:

Caronramps.jpg

:blush:

Build thread to be updated soon ......................

Haha, good luck mate!

Not sure if thats a good coment or bad??? HaHa no chance or HaHa the nutters back?

B)

You never fail to amaze me

You know where I am should you need anything ;):lol:

You would be suprised at how many of the ladies tell me that as well ;)

Stand by for PM's big man.

You're insane!

Brave and must have deep pockets.

:thumbs:

Yes

In the words of the film - "We is hungry homes" - We bloody is now :scare:

nutter :lol:

Seems to be the genral feeling around here - Should I take the hint??

You know how I feel about it............................Jealous :lol:

:p:p:p Belts paid for and should ship late next week mate - will be in touch if/when thy arrive :thumbs:

ordered the stainless injector as well :thumbs:

Ow god - look at the new mods/products I have to add to the Garage :bang::lol:

:thumbs:

I was saving this for you Chris - thats why I haven't put it up in the garage yet.

Sounds very cool how long will it take to build ? :thumbs:

Hard to say - I intend to do a fair bit myself so that's evenings and weekends only, then the other factors will be funds and import times as half the stuff I want will have to come in from the states!

Like to do it by end of October but will probably hit the bad weather and end up doing more than planned over the winter - watch this space

-----------

Neil - See it is definitely the consensus that I have a screw lose...... I'm beginning to believe it may be true! :surrender:

----------------

Ian - Hope so mate :thumbs:

----------------

Jollyranchers - Isn't that like asking a woman her age? :lol::blush::surrender:

All I can say at the moment is the engine was very sensibly priced!

The other half may read this :scare:

and I'm in enuff troble already!

---------------------

Andlid - You bloody should be :angry: All your Fault wait till I see your good lady I'll tell her a thing or 2!! :lol::lol:

:lol: Thanks Ian - then it will be the when 500HP is not enuff thread or the I NEED NOS as well :lol:

Buster - I can't let you have the Zed you let yours go rusty! :scare::lol::lol:

I will be expecting some help with the heavy lifting (after the wedding of course) :thumbs:

you crazy fool...just go buy a gtr. :lol:

+1

Like I said earlier - your gonna do all that to catch the GTR owner & once he gets a map he walks away again :p:lol:

Yeah, but he can always get more power, the GTR owner can never make it look nice as the zed. ;)

This Zed was already amazing - its gonna take some beating after this.

The chassis and drivetrain mods ensures that the car will have no problems handling 500bhp although for the life of me I don't know why you feel it needs more power?

Don't forget now - I've first dibs under the buy-back clause. :lol: