The best racing/track tip you ever had - One only

NeilMH

Be Smooth - So only steer as much as you need to, get all the braking done before the corner so you keep the car balanced when going round the corner and dont ham down the power when coming out the Apex. I found this tips really helped when I went back and drove in the Karting league I was in as well

watch the vanishing point of the corner where the kerbs combine, if its going away from you get some power in, if it's coming closer expect the corner to tighten up. Such an effective tool to read the road tought by advanced driving course.

watch the vanishing point of the corner where the kerbs combine, if its going away from you get some power in, if it's coming closer expect the corner to tighten up. Such an effective tool to read the road tought by advanced driving course.

Massive +1. This also hugely improves your fuel economy as it reduces the need for unnecessary braking.

Ha had three weeks of this just completed my advance driving sector course -- One of the best bits of information :yahoo:

When in a spin, both feet in.

Might not make you any faster, but it sure as hell is likely to save you when things go wrong. :thumbs:

certainly does, last thing you want in a race is to stall or to cause damage to the gearbox (in 1st with clutch out going backwards, even though i managed to put the car in reverse at 120+ :( )

best advice i had was from a guy giving me some training, he sat in the car with me for about 45 minutes saying hardly anything, i was making decent times and catching the other people training quite quickly, but he said i was suffering from something most people do which is following, so his words of wisdom were "Never Follow"

Having then concentrated on that made me realise how differently i drive to some other people and how much quicker you can be driving your line (hopefully the right one) and not the people infront of you :)

The guy training me was racing an LM1 car at the time so was quite good!!! :scare:

lapping quick and race craft are 2 entirely seperate things, both improve with practice but racecraft especially, the decisions you have to make need to be so quick that unless their ingrained it wouldnt work (for me anyway)

Ha had three weeks of this just completed my advance driving sector course -- One of the best bits of information :yahoo:

I've got my full course/test coming up in the company vehicles, I belive it goes something like... instructor: "here is an XK for the next few days where are we going?" Me: "Wales please" follwed by... "here is the track..."

"Fit on the phone, add ten stone" ......... oh, thats not right is it? :blush:

First ever trackday briefing - you are the only person thats going to make you crash. Dont push till you run out of talent. :thumbs:

Unfortunately this doesnt apply for drift racing but works well for grip stuff. :)

"Hang off by hooking the seat under the inside of your knee and get your backside completely off the bike"

Snetterton Trackday when I was attempting to get my knee down on Sears Corner. Followed advice and was grinning like an idiot for the rest of the day

look as far forward as possible (entry, apex, exit, next bend....)

I really like the bike camera shots when the camera is on tank/front yoke looking at riders face.... you can clearly see how far they are looking down the circuit....

This really works, if you don't think so try this... walk down a corridor... walk whilst looking at the skirting board two feet in front of you.... repeat looking as far down corridor as you can - bet you walk faster, and you still don't hit the wall :thumbs: