is FWD really the spawn of the devil?

rtbiscuit

i am in the process of looking for a new car, in one shape or other i need 4 seats and a boot; now this is been really interesting and i am enjoying the search. but its thrown a few conundrums.

i see myself as a bit of a petrol head pureist so for me the last 10 years have seen mostly RWD cars some mid engines and front engines.

the question is am i missing out on anything by completely ignoring the FWD performance market? or should they all be burned and i should only look at RWD or 4WD variants?

is FWD the spawn of the devil?

Never driven one so its only on the basis of what I've read but I believe this has an important argument in the FWD case

Honda Integra DC5.......fairly widely regarded as one of the best handling cars around.

I've had plenty of FWD cars before now and I've personally on day to day driving felt more aware of its limits than a RWD (presume because of the feedback in the steering? :shrug: )

I nearly bought a DC5 before the 350 I had, the DC2 hands like hell. The EK9 is quite amazing as well. Basically Honda had a stint of amazing FWD cars with the DC2/5 and EK9. Other than that I'm not interested. I'd struggle to buy anything other than a RWD car or a 4WD car these days.

Depends on what you like. They're are some good FWD cars out there (Clio 182 is the one I always bang on about), but given the choice I'd still have RWD any day of the week.

There's a few good FWD cars, there's bucket loads of good RWD cars.

I had a Focus ST3 and it was a great car. Fast, comfortable and well built( yes well built), the five pot was great and loads of tuning options. I never bothered as it had plenty of poke as standard. It stuck to the road like glue and had loads of mid range torque, which would probably give a 350/370 a run for it's money. Parts/servicing reasonable.

If you want a performance 4 seater you could do a lot worse.

Personally RWD isn't the be all and end all for me as I don't have the driving ability to fully exploit it. It's a combination of looks, performance, build and cost for me.

Don't dismiss fwd, there are some good cars out there. Not bothered about badge snobbery either, if it's a good car and I like it, I'll buy it.

i am in the process of looking for a new car, in one shape or other i need 4 seats and a boot; now this is been really interesting and i am enjoying the search. but its thrown a few conundrums.

i see myself as a bit of a petrol head pureist so for me the last 10 years have seen mostly RWD cars some mid engines and front engines.

the question is am i missing out on anything by completely ignoring the FWD performance market? or should they all be burned and i should only look at RWD or 4WD variants?

is FWD the spawn of the devil?

Point to point my 172 ia faster not beacause its lighter or more nimble its because I have much more confidence in it. I respect the powe of the 350 much much more and Im still scared of it. If you let someone drive it who knows what they are dpomg then it is faster than a fwd. Fwd is great as its hard to get it wrong and you can make fast progress easily and drive on the edge.

I come no where near the edge of the 350 but when my brother drove it who is much more experianced that me he showed me that it could be just as nimble as the 172. Driving pleasure wise rwd is nicer as when you nail a cornor it feels better and its more rewarding. Also in a barge rwd is much nicer aswell makes the car handle better than it should.

the talk of the hondas has got me thinking; i hadn't looked at the other hondas; and i'm actually quiet taken with the old shape ep3 type r civic and the DC5 integra.

had the new shape civic a while back the i think fn2 but always fancied trying the ep3.

any thoughts?

Forget about the Honda's (Only hooligan's and ned's buy honda's) and start lookin for a Focus ST170! B)

I had one for 4 years and it never missed a beat! :thumbs:

You can thrash it everywhere no matter what the weather and it'll never put a foot wrong! :drive1

Keep it stock and you'll get 30+ MPG easy! Mega cheap 2 insure too! Mine only cost me £400 Fully Comp!

It's quiet and refined enough to give ur Gran a lift and (almost :blush: ) fast enough to keep u entertained!

Each to their own. For me FWD is ok for a runabout, well just about. You can still push FWD, but RWD you can really drive the thing without torque steer. Surprised a few of my mates that aren't used to being a passenger in a RWD. ;)

Ultimately Rich, it doesn't matter what any of us think, as it's you that has to be happy with what you purchase. Drive as many cars as you can, then make your decision. :thumbs:

As other have said, if your running more than 200 ish bhp you really need to start thinking LSD on a FWD car.

I had a MK4 Golf 1.8 T which I tuned to 200 whp, was an absolute nightmare getting those ponies to the tarmac :drive1 It would suffer from torque steer most of the time, it could have been from my setup as I know of people who have had alot of fun out of tuned type R's. I think the type R's get away with it more as they are running less torque?

I loved going to my Z as a result, but I have found it harder to get around in the winter.

Dunno how much you have got to get spend, but an VW MK5 R32 would get my vote. Ticks all the boxes :thumbs:

P.S. Happy new year all!

I have 210bhp in a FWD TDI FR Leon and it is absolutely mad :drive1 If you are not careful it bunny hops (no LSD) and torque steers like a bitch but I :cloud9: it :thumbs:

What I really like is having two completely different cars, one FWD Turbo Diesel and one RWD NA Petrol :thumbs:

Only thing is it reminds me of my fleeting football career, good turn of speed but out of puff a bit too quick :surrender:

Seat is worth looking at but then if you head towards a Focus, what about the RS300, a friend of mine has one and apparantly the front suspension set up is very, very good, loads of power and the 4 seats and a huge boot to, erm boot :headhurt:

Having a rumble with the 370 and RS on track in April, with a 1/4 miler Top Gear style drag, my friend seems confident it'll give the 370 a doing :boxing:

£50 to Help for Heroes from the looser though :#1:

won't touch ford with a barge pole, cant stand them; sorry to the ford lovers. the only ford i would ever own is a classic GT40.

think i'm going to get a mk4 golf r32 in blue or black. benefits of fwd and 4wd and will still have a nice engine to play with.

won't touch ford with a barge pole, cant stand them; sorry to the ford lovers. the only ford i would ever own is a classic GT40.

think i'm going to get a mk4 golf r32 in blue or black. benefits of fwd and 4wd and will still have a nice engine to play with.

And a nice note! Blue is my preference! :D

Having a rumble with the 370 and RS on track in April, with a 1/4 miler Top Gear style drag, my friend seems confident it'll give the 370 a doing :boxing:

£50 to Help for Heroes from the looser though :#1:

Hope you've got that £50 ready ;)

A mk4 Golf is still a mk4 Golf, whatever clothes it's wearing. The chassis is poor and it's not exactly a looker, even the narrow angle vee can't save it from the FWD-preferring drivetrain setup. I'd have a sheddy CTR of any sort over that thing any day, far more charismatic even if you have to rev the nuts off it to get anywhere.