F1 Engine Specs For 2013 WTF!!

Beavis

I will be going to as many races as possible now before the noise is lost forever :surrender:

I so miss the V10 & v12 races of the late 80' early 90's i went too :cloud9:

4 cylinder 1.6litre turbos with a max of 10000 rpm!! WTF :surrender::angry::rant::thumbdown:

Will be ****ing solar powered by 2016 :surrender:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 255871.stm

turbo lag on a formula 1 car :lol: what a joke

When we were nippers (and before that) they strapped big ass turbos to F1 cars!

One thing, I think this will see F1 tech filter into mainstream cars. Like VW Golfs! :lol::lol:

One thing, I think this will see F1 tech filter into mainstream cars. Like VW Golfs! :lol::lol:

I get the feeling it will go the other way first, they'll be copying supermini's to get ideas to start with :lol:

F1 is meant to be the pinicle of motorsport and yes its technology is utimately meant to trickle down, but I think they are focusing on that far too much now, as if to do it as a testbed for normal cars :thumbdown:

Dissapointing, was a fairly good season this year! I thought that F1 cars were the greatest cars ever built and top end cars strived to be as good as them. It will soon have skodas and kias. Who wants to see that ??? I wouldnt be suprised if they had blamed F1 for the current weather conditions aswell.

Well one thing that's be good is if F1 goes crap then maybe we'll see proper investment into touring cars and supporting race series.

I'm glad bike racing is still remaining proper for now. Maybe they will set maximum CC at 125 for 2013......

This has been on the cards for some time. There has been pressure on The FIA to do 2 things, first off being the need to cut costs. Secondly, some current, new and old manufacturers have expressed an interest in F1 as purely engine suppliers. For example you can definitely expect VW to produce and engine and its possible that Toyota, Honda and BMW will return. Among others showing interest are Hyundai and Mitsubishi. Turbo engines cost a fraction of normally aspirated engines to build and develop, the last time there were Turbos in F1, BMW developed their engine from a road car. I haven't read the actual regs yet, going to do that in a minute, but I'd imagine there'll be some kind of boost limit so the engines should all be fairly even. At the moment I'm undecided as to whether this is a good or bad thing, need more info.

Pete

Well one thing that's be good is if F1 goes crap then maybe we'll see proper investment into touring cars and supporting race series.

I'm glad bike racing is still remaining proper for now. Maybe they will set maximum CC at 125 for 2013......

Plus if no F1 worth watching we will have more time to play with our zzzs as this will free up around 4 hours every other weekend.

Welcome to glorified touring cars :thumbdown:

Will wait and see how long it takes Audi to win this one, they will surely enter this now as they have a wealth of knowledge of small turbo engines ;)

Hmmmm!, small? They do some rather tasty V10's and 12's, not my taste mind but their diesels go as fast as a F1 for a lot longer, too quiet though. Don't forget Peugot, brilliant to see the crowd react when they win.

They have got a good record in the Le Mans series, real racing, real overtaking and proper driving with no politics and as long as you do as the French tell you, you can do whatever else you want.

What I would like to see is a club event to Le Mans, 30/40 Zeds haring through France B) In the P1 class, Aston Martin are doing some great things. Even the P2 and P3 races are great to watch, three races all going on at the one time :yahoo: . These drivers do the equivelant of 4 F1 races EACH in a relatively short time.

Unless you are "connected" you won't get near the pit lane in F1 but at Le Mans it's open to ALL on the day before the race and you can access the garage, mechanics and drivers.

Great social occassion and one for REAL petrol heads.

The WRC has been hit with the same issues, downgrade of engine size and car size!! It's going to be like watching junior rallying!! For the same reasons to cut costs and make the WRC easier to compete in and allow other manufacturers the chance to enter.

Poor effort in my book!

Why not allow N/A engines to run alongside the turbo engines as they did in the 80s? As long as power outputs were kept simialr it would make F1 really interesting. I would imagine that some circuits would suit the N/A engines and others the turbo cars.

What I would like to see is a club event to Le Mans, 30/40 Zeds haring through France B)

Never been to Le Mans, but that sounds like a mega idea.

The LM24 is a race that every petrolhead should go to at least once in their lives. It's an incredible atmosphere if you go to the right places at the right times, and can be as mad or as sedate as you want it to be. I'm gutted I won't be going next year :(

As far as the F1 engines go, I don't think it'll make much difference really. We were all gutted when the V10s went to V8s, but times move and things change. I can't imagine any of the drivers preferring an FI engine to an NA one, but they'll cope as I'm sure we all will. Really the differences between the cars are all down to the aero now, the engine is almost irrelevant in terms of slight variances between manufacturers.

The WRC has been hit with the same issues, downgrade of engine size and car size!! It's going to be like watching junior rallying!! For the same reasons to cut costs and make the WRC easier to compete in and allow other manufacturers the chance to enter.

Poor effort in my book!

I can see why it looks like a poor effort but if they don't make it cheaper everyone drops out and the championship dies. It's better to downgrade now, keep the interest up now and revise the rules later when money isn't quite so tight.

The first F1 races i went to back in the mid 80's were all turbo powered. Typically they were 1.5 litre engines but they had unlimited turbo-boost (until 1987 when it was limited to 4 bar and later to 2.5 bar for 1988) but these engines were producing anything up to 1400 bhp!! (in qualifying). So it sounds like these 1.6 litre engines which will produce about 650bhp will be severley restricted in other ways. :thumbdown:

A video of the bmw turbo engine

I think we will see many petrol road cars go the turbo route in the end and imo that includes any future z cars ;)

big NA engines are a dying breed, the bench mark at the moment is the BMW mini cooper engine 1.6 turbo; already being used by peugeot in the RCZ and other manufacturers are either looking at it or making their own versions.

1.6 seems to be the magic number.

other things to look out for are dual FI setups that use both a supercharger and a turbo. means you can run bigger turbos with no lag as the supercharger works at the start then swaps to the turbo once the lag is ended. there is huge potential for tuning these kinds of engines. and getting more power is alot cheaper than trying to tune something like the V6.

this is just the start, in the future we could see things like gas turbine engines,