My new purchase (911 content) *final update p9*

Ekona

I've had a couple of people PM me now with regards to what I'm getting after the Zed, and so I thought it was time to put up a proper post on it.

I love my 350Z (or Slagathor as I have so eloquently named her) and she has been very good to me over the last two-and-a-half years, and part of the reason I connected with her so very well was finding a club like this one as it's rare to find such a friendly place that has quality technical knowledge as well as being run by people with common sense, although clearly I knocked the collective IQ down a few points when I became a Mod! Truth is there was nothing that I'd grown to hate about the car at all, it was simply that I had an itch for a new car and I started looking around. There were a good few cars on my hitlist, including a GT-R and a 370Z, but also an E90 M3, a current gen Impreza and even a Clio 182: As you can see, my choice was quite varied! I just wanted something different, something fun, and something quality. A couple of test drives later and I put down a deposit on a 2008 M3 with DCT 'box. A brilliant car by any measurement.

And yet it didn't feel right. I came home and wasn't excited like I should've been.

Jo came with me the next day to see the car and she absolutely hated it, and so I got my money back on the deposit (full credit to Cooper BMW in Colchester for being so understanding, would definitely deal with them again). A bit depressed at this point (after all, if a 400bhp V8 car loaded with toys doesn't do it for me, what does?!) we wandered across the road to look at the Porsche garage and see what they had in there with a view to probably testing a Cayman S, and there it was. Right in front of me as I walked into the forecourt. Black. Mean. Almost perfect spec. And far more money than I actually wanted to spend. And yet...

2071241-1.jpg

How could I resist? It's a 997.2 Carrera S with PDK 'box and a good few toys, and ever since I drove one last summer it has been a dream of mine to own a 911. I didn't think it would ever be possible until a good few years yet, but by careful juggling of finances and the all-important seal of approval from the missus it was on. Collection should hopefully be this weekend (and now you can see why I needed to sell bits of my Zed so quickly), am just waiting for them to fit the flappy paddle steering wheel instead of the horrible button one it's got on there at the moment. I'll be sure to get some proper pics up when I get a chance.

I still can't believe that I'm going to own what is pretty much my realistic dream car at such a relative young age, and I'm still pinching myself to see if I wake up. Knowing that I'm moving forward with a proper classic sports coupe is making the pain of letting Slagathor go a little easier, and yet I know I'll desperately miss that charismatic lump of Datsun when it's gone. I won't be going anywhere though as I love this place and the people here, so I do apologise for that.

wink.gif

Edited by Ekona

Lovely mate, you will love it, probably go for the turbo when its time to change next. By the way you should have driven the e92 you would have enjoyed it more :thumbs:

Ah, are they not the same car? I thought the E90 was the coupe and the E92 the saloon? BMW and their silly numbers always have confused me! :lol:

Lovely mate, you will love it, probably go for the turbo when its time to change next. By the way you should have driven the e92 you would have enjoyed it more :thumbs:

Ah, are they not the same car? I thought the E90 was the coupe and the E92 the saloon? BMW and their silly numbers always have confused me! :lol:

Other way round, e92 is coupe, im surprised you didn't like the coupe! horses for courses I suppose the 911 is a way more driver focused car never driven one but its on my to do list :thumbs:

R

Other way round, e92 is coupe, im surprised you didn't like the coupe!

Bugger, so close! :lol: It's an absolutely fantastic car, and the way it piles on the speed in 3rd whilst remaining utterly planted gives you so much confidence even on *spits* runflats, and yet I just didn't connect with it like I should have. It's sounds weird to say it but I genuinely loved the M3, and yet it left me cold. Very strange. I can see why people do buy them though, as they do everything so very well.

Great choice mate. Is the c2 still rwd? Now you can bang on about N rated tyres :lol::thumbs:

It is indeed RWD, it's the C4 and C4S and Turbo that are 4WD.

Luckily you can get both RE050As (on my car) and even better PS2s in N-spec, so there'll be no mixing or compromising of tyres for me! :yahoo: