My new purchase (911 content) *final update p9*

Ekona

Couldn't agree with you more fella. I like to think I'm a fairly down to earth guy and I'm really not as flash with the cash as the car would suggest, and I've made a lot of sacrifices to be able to own it but people tend not to see it like that. They think because you've got a nice car you must have a massive house with all the gadgets and have loads of expensive holidays a year yadda yadda. That couldn't be further from the truth for me (small terraced house and I've only had two proper holidays abroad with the missus in the last 4 years!) as I sacrificed stuff that wasn't that important to me to be able to get the car, always have done.

I should probably just start saying I own a Beetle, not a million miles away from the truth and a quicker conversation killer :lol:

:lol:

That's one thing I did do, which was how I quickly ruled out an M6 or a VXR8 or a GTR, although the GTR would fit but I'd have to climb out of the windows to exit the damn thing! I was out there for an hour checking, double-checking and triple-checking the measurements to make sure I was correct :D

• 10 months later...

Little update for those still interested...

The 911 has obviously sat around in the garage for the last 6 weeks doing nothing, but is due a 4th year service in early August so I've booked her in for that today. Bearing in mind that the 4th year service is a major one (but only the second service the car will have had), and includes all the obvious fluid changes + air filter change + adjusting of various odds and sods but also needs a brake fluid change and (the biggie) a full spark plug change, guess the cost?

£864.

Was going to be £960 but I asked for a discount and got an instant and easy 10% off. To me, that's a bargain considering that's main dealer pricing and the car itself. Also managed to blag a new 981 Boxster for a day and a half as a courtesy car too. :teeth:

Just so we're all clear, this does now mean that it's going to rain all day on the 8th and 9th of August. :lol:

The options list is over a page of A4! :lol:

Things of note on mine:

PASM (switchable suspension)

Adaptive Sports Seats (14-way electrical adjustment)

Sports mode (sharper throttle and aggressive gear changes)

PSE (sports exhaust)

Carrera Sport wheels (means I can run wider rear rubber)

PCM3 w/nav (touchscreen audio and sat nav)

TV tuner (crap)

Sport Design steering wheel (flappy paddles)

Red stitching throughout (Porsche Exclusive option, don't ask the price kinda thing!)

Sunroof (rarely ever use it)

Love it. Still.

I guess there is a big difference between the craftsmanship between it in the zed. Are both seats 14 way electrical adjustment or just drivers - i always hated how the passenger on zed only has the back/forward? Does any of the electrical control systems kick in when you don't want them to?

.... is it getting as much attention as the zed? I know we have had the whole poser/driveability debate but I like my car too drive well and to look good. :lol: Does it turn eyes and how do you feel you are perceived on the road?

Just so we're all clear, this does now mean that it's going to rain all day on the 8th and 9th of August. :lol:

Duely noted - no riding planned for that weekend :lol:

Does seem like a pretty good price considering :thumbs:

I guess there is a big difference between the craftsmanship between it in the zed. Are both seats 14 way electrical adjustment or just drivers - i always hated how the passenger on zed only has the back/forward? Does any of the electrical control systems kick in when you don't want them to?

.... is it getting as much attention as the zed? I know we have had the whole poser/driveability debate but I like my car too drive well and to look good. :lol: Does it turn eyes and how do you feel you are perceived on the road?

Both front seats are identical in movement, and they're heated too :thumbs: On one hand I love them as they're infinitely adjustable which means I can always get comfy, but on the other hand they're incredibly heavy which does blunt the performance a fraction. I'd love to get a set of the carbon sports buckets that Porsche do, but not at £6K for the pair. They're only manually electrically adjustable, if that makes sense: When you set them up, that's how they stay until you move them again. They don't alter on the fly under cornering, like I think some Merc seats can as an option. I've got three memory settings for them, so I use one as my relaxed position, one for when I'm on a blat, and one as a combination between the two.

Craftsmanship isn't even in the same league as the Zed, but then I'd be pretty annoyed if it was tbh. Don't get me wrong, the interior was okay on my facelifted 350, but the interior plastics marked far too easily. None of that in the 911, it's all leather or soft-touch plastics. I'm not sure it gets as much attention as the Zed if I'm honest, but I've had more compliments on it that I did with the big Nissan. Mostly on the wheels, which I wasn't even that keen on at first. You definitely get used to people not letting you out of junctions as much, but you get far more thumbs up from petrolheads when you go nailing it past them as most Porsches don't ever get driven hard I guess, or at least you never see it.

Both front seats are identical in movement, and they're heated too :thumbs: On one hand I love them as they're infinitely adjustable which means I can always get comfy, but on the other hand they're incredibly heavy which does blunt the performance a fraction. I'd love to get a set of the carbon sports buckets that Porsche do, but not at £6K for the pair. They're only manually electrically adjustable, if that makes sense: When you set them up, that's how they stay until you move them again. They don't alter on the fly under cornering, like I think some Merc seats can as an option. I've got three memory settings for them, so I use one as my relaxed position, one for when I'm on a blat, and one as a combination between the two.

Craftsmanship isn't even in the same league as the Zed, but then I'd be pretty annoyed if it was tbh. Don't get me wrong, the interior was okay on my facelifted 350, but the interior plastics marked far too easily. None of that in the 911, it's all leather or soft-touch plastics. I'm not sure it gets as much attention as the Zed if I'm honest, but I've had more compliments on it that I did with the big Nissan. Mostly on the wheels, which I wasn't even that keen on at first. You definitely get used to people not letting you out of junctions as much, but you get far more thumbs up from petrolheads when you go nailing it past them as most Porsches don't ever get driven hard I guess, or at least you never see it.

I take it you haven't had anyone ask you what it is? :lol: I think I would really like one but don't know of I could comfortably afford the right model for me yet and I like people letting me out of junctions. :lol:

I hate it when people ask me what it is, or rather which one as I never know when to stop. If I say "oh, it's a 997 gen2 C2S PDK" then normally the other person has nodded off to sleep before the end, but if I say "oh, it's a 911" I get the look that says "well duh, but which one?!" :lol:

The junction thing is hysterical, it really is. You always hear about it, but until you witness it you don't realise just how funny it actually is to see :)

• 2 months later...