TracKday warriors beware!!!!!!!

GT4 Zed

Came accross the is the most amazing zed crash sequence i have ever seen :scare: thought i should share :p

See link below for full static pics and comments from the driver - page 4

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f223/cr ... san-61500/

It has made me re-evaluate tracking my zed especially on the Ring without full safety gear/precautions.

You could be driving perfectly but any failure can lead to a big crash or even getting involved in someone elses crash :surrender:

I am now considering a decent dedicated trackday car with full safety gear or turning the zed into a full stripped out track car which is hard to justify.

Short in-car vid at the onset of crash:

The photo show on YouTube

IMO, he went way too hot into that corner. Seemed like he got caught off guard.

If you are going to the Ring GT4Zed, then do a nice scouting lap. take it easy and learn the course, then gradually build up speed and confidence

You are missing the point mate ;) I have been going to the Ring for almost 3years now and just thinking that just a helmet is not enough especially as a crash can be a result of a mechanical failure rather than error of judgement! And in both case you don't have to be flying to crash!

This crash happened at 95mph ;) Likely brake failure!

So the way i look at it, if you wanna play then pay for the right equipment with all safety gear so your life is safe if the inevitable happens or don't race :thumbs:

you pays your monies, you takes your risks.

to go on track thinking nothing could go wrong is very nieave. i track my cars but i must admit i don't like to push to the limits; it is my daily driver and i'm by no means the best driver in the world. so i'd rather play it safe and have fun, than be riding the limits and **** up. fo rthat reason i feel comfortable with just a crash helmet. the standard protection in most cars is adequate for my needs. i'm lucky to see 1 trackday a year. its just getting so expensive.

if your a more serious track warrior then either a dedicated track car, or fitting a cage would seem like a good idea. i'd love to have a track only car, it would take the worry out of the back of my head thats always there, but then that same thing is what helps keep me sensible on the track.

I hear ya GT4 Zed, but like rtbiscuit says, depends on how serious a trackdayer you are.

If it's for a bit of fun and you don't go "race pace", then I think it's ok, but by all means, if you are gonna go balls out every time, then of course, upping safety devices and driver training is a must.

Be safe y'all :thumbs:

Hmmmmmm you lads forget that there are other drivers on track... no matter how 'safe' you think you drive they can still hit you! Some crazy mad people on track... in 500 euro cars... would be nicer if they tried to make different groups on that....

Hmmmmmm you lads forget that there are other drivers on track... no matter how 'safe' you think you drive they can still hit you! Some crazy mad people on track... in 500 euro cars... would be nicer if they tried to make different groups on that....

Exactly why I prefer to stick to Hot Marques at Knockhill...minimum value of £15k on the cars- then again that doesn't guarantee driver skill levels :shrug:they let me on!

I remember one of the members on this forum having something snap on the car whilst on the track???

from what i remember he checked and double checked everything before going out and the part that snapped was a pretty new part.

You're never going to be 100% safe doing anything...

I remember one of the members on this forum having something snap on the car whilst on the track???

from what i remember he checked and double checked everything before going out and the part that snapped was a pretty new part.

You're never going to be 100% safe doing anything...

That would've been Mr T :headhurt:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26970&hilit=125mph+failure

Exactly why I prefer to stick to Hot Marques at Knockhill...minimum value of £15k on the cars- then again that doesn't guarantee driver skill levels :shrug:they let me on!

mostly no brainers don't afford such cars and you'll be fine or so we hope, some peopel with deep pockets are just as bad... some of this is down to the structure of the trackday and who is looking after it, sometimes hits me how little training and guideance some people get on a trackday...

He was only doing 95mph at the time of the crash. How many people here drive at that speed on the motorways and don't give it a second thought?

Having seen and read all of that it hasn't changed my opinion on tracking cars at all. Driving cars fast is inherently dangerous, however these sort of failures can happen just as easily on the road as on the track. Track safety is all down to the marshalling IMHO, which is why I go with the same companies over and over again (Bookatrack, MSV) and avoid others that I have personal experience of being utterly sh*t (Circuit Days). You will always get one ***** on a trackday who is out there trying to prove something, but careful, quick and decisive marshalling should stop an incident before it happens. On the odd chance a marshall fails to see something that you do (overtaking on a corner), then it's up to you to go and report that person and not just sit in your car fuming: So many people I know do that instead of complaining.

That said, this was just a mechanical failure that could happen to anyone at any time. It's horrible to watch, the guy was very lucky, but more accidents happen on the roads than ever happen on track.

Good to see the safety equipment standing up so well, but exactly how do you manage to get off the track, to the tyre wall through a fence over a spectator area (luckily none around) and over yet another fence without SERIOUSLY under estimating your entry speed in the corner?

You can see by the way he is catching others in the corner at aproximately warp factor 9 that he has over cooked that by a MAHHOOSIVE margin.

Did the brakes fail?

The brakes failed and you see on the vid he still tried to negotiate the corner Chris... general consensus is if he'd just gone straight on the gravel trap would've done its job and stopped the car- or at the very latest the tyre wall would've. Such a scenario on a track day is highly unlikely ( christ! I shouldn't tempt fate should I?!)

That cartwheeling was mental :headhurt: If I thought I could fit my arse through one I'd quite like a roll cage now :lol:

Good to see the safety equipment standing up so well, but exactly how do you manage to get off the track, to the tyre wall through a fence over a spectator area (luckily none around) and over yet another fence without SERIOUSLY under estimating your entry speed in the corner?

You can see by the way he is catching others in the corner at aproximately warp factor 9 that he has over cooked that by a MAHHOOSIVE margin.

Did the brakes fail?

VVTI kicked in yo! :blush: find it weird too must have got the accelerator peddle stuck and lost brakes...

He was only doing 95mph at the time of the crash. How many people here drive at that speed on the motorways and don't give it a second thought?

Having seen and read all of that it hasn't changed my opinion on tracking cars at all. Driving cars fast is inherently dangerous, however these sort of failures can happen just as easily on the road as on the track. Track safety is all down to the marshalling IMHO, which is why I go with the same companies over and over again (Bookatrack, MSV) and avoid others that I have personal experience of being utterly sh*t (Circuit Days). You will always get one ***** on a trackday who is out there trying to prove something, but careful, quick and decisive marshalling should stop an incident before it happens. On the odd chance a marshall fails to see something that you do (overtaking on a corner), then it's up to you to go and report that person and not just sit in your car fuming: So many people I know do that instead of complaining.

That said, this was just a mechanical failure that could happen to anyone at any time. It's horrible to watch, the guy was very lucky, but more accidents happen on the roads than ever happen on track.

Agreed on complaining, the marshals on the once I go to seem to be pretty good but they don't nail down on everything... find it hard to understand the non existant tutoring going on when new people enter track. Had issues the last time with easy things like people moving to the right when you are about 4 times quicker then that car... that people took the inner line and just nicely squeezed you out of your line almost forcing you off the track... like wtf... some of the lads (and women) on the track need to stick their L stickers on! mmm makes me think of it I think I'll stick a memo off to the lads arranging the trackdays :drunk: