scratch resistant paint?

350 Russ

It's just like some self levelling paints like some primers for example they have are quite heavy and take a while to set giving them time to level out any imperfections , capilliary action an surface tension stuff. If you have a White zed and it gets scratched it won't hide the white pigment underneath it just seals itself that it the clearcoat on top. So in theory you will never have a rusty car but any chips will still be visible if the pigment underneath has been chipped away.

does that mean that using mechanical polishing equipment would be a "no no"? :shrug:

Well this 'self healing' stuff is on the GTR I believe and the amount of full details done by rotary on DW would indicate that it's ok to do so. I guess you'd just have to watch heat levels a lot more though.

Does the laquer not need to be heated to activate the 'self healing' or something though?

Hi,

I posted this link in my introduction thread but I believe it might be of use here:

http://www.luxury4play.com/detailing/49056-infiniti-g37x-scratch-shield-paint-complete-detail-unique-car-care.html

He's a professional detailer, what makes the article interesting is that he is aware that he is working on Scratch Shield and hence hiccups he encounters are of interest. The part where he starts to use rotary polishers on it is particularly useful.

There are some images on the net where they show before and after images of Scratch Shield working, some leaving it in sunshine others using a hair dryer or hot water. However from what I can gather from my web crawling it seems to be a one shot material, once the area is scratched if it reflows and is subsequently scratched in the same place again, it won't heal.

EZ

Sneakers

There doesnt seem to be a lot of info about Scratch Shield, mainly because our main source of info - the US - dont use it much any more, litterally only on the GTR I beleive - the G37S didnt have it after the first model year and Nissan never put it on the 370z out there. Over here, Infiniti do use it on the G37 and Nissan have it on 370z and GTR. It only comes on metallics and pearls.

From what I have read, it is an extra resin in the clearcoat which allows the clearcoat to expand slightly. This has restricted movement, so will only cover small scratches to the clearcoat only, if you go through the clearcoat, it wont do anything. Its designed for swirls and very light scratches. Heat activates it (Infiniti confirmed to me that they use heatguns on it), and it pretty much only works once due to the spreading effect having limited movement.

Having seen multiple details on it, some have said the paint is a pain as it warms up, swirls go away, it cools and they come back. Others have had more success and have not had this problem, my guess being they use a more agressive compound and generate less heat so cut straight through the clearcoat. Those that work it more, warm it up and get the weird results. Mostly I think going by DW forums, its not hard to deal with.

• 2 years later...

The recovery process of Scratchshield will only go as far as surface marring and holograms. Anything more aggressive than this then you will get a regular scratch which can be removed in the normal fashion as per a regular clearcoat paint. Tbh Nissan are overselling this product as a miracle paint and ITS NOT.

I can't comment On heat gun treatment so thats maybe where I'm missing out.

I found that my scratchshield responded better with higher heat and pressure when being compounded with a Rotary and Menz. Am overjoyed with my correction result

Sounds like a joke, Nissan paint is so thin anyway that it seems like a pointless feature.

+1 My experience of trying to remove a small scratch on the door last summer leads me to agree. Didn't take much at all to go through the clear-coat resulting in an expensive trip to the body shop to get it rectified. Learnt my lesson from that :wacko:.