Opinions on this BMW M6

Rubber

Hi everyone, just looking for some feedback on this car.

A friend of mine is thinking of getting a new TT :doh:

Anyway I am trying to show him the other options available. He wants somthing comfortable yet still good looking and sporty. So you get an idea, the options we have looked at so far are Audi A5, Audi TT, 370Z. The idea of having rear seats and a boot (especially one that will fit a bike) are still very welcome.

I'm not a fan of the 6-series but since I have seen a black M6 (with black alloys, and tinted windows) around Aberdeen I have been converted!

5L 10 cylinder 500 bhp :scare:

My friend is not a particularly exhuberant driver so he won't be trashing this car. I'd appreciate your advice on a couple of issues...

- Is the SMG gearbox any good? I assume it can be used in auto or with paddles?

- The clutch has been replaced at 25,000 miles. Is this a sign of problems to come?

- Car would have cost +£90k new! Given that the new M cars are going to be turbo charged I expect this high revving NA beast will retain it's value pretty well. Do you agree?

- Are there hidden costs that will emerge when running such a high powered car (excluding the obvious petrol/insurance)?

If I had the money I'd be trading in the Zed myself I think :blush:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1783245.htm

Cheers,

Chris

Is the SMG gearbox any good? I assume it can be used in auto or with paddles?

-They are not bad to use, the one I drove was a little clunky I thought

The clutch has been replaced at 25,000 miles. Is this a sign of problems to come?

- Probably been thrashed

Car would have cost +£90k new! Given that the new M cars are going to be turbo charged I expect this high revving NA beast will retain it's value pretty well. Do you agree?

- No, you will most likely get bugger all for it in a few years

Are there hidden costs that will emerge when running such a high powered car (excluding the obvious petrol/insurance)?

- Have you seen BMW servicing costs? and parts?

Don't like them myself IMO.... look too much like a parrot :lol:

Seriously if you can't afford this car new, don't buy it second hand. Any issues with the engine or gearbox will likely bankrupt you and your local independent won't be able to help due to the specialized computers needed on cars like these. You will be lucky to get 15 mpg average and general running costs are massive. Its an alternative to a 911 turbo etc not an audi TT.

Blimey, anyone would think they're an old Rover or Alfa judging by the posts here! Budget a couple of grand a year for servicing and consumables and you'll be sorted, just buy well in the first place. Those V10 engines are rock solid and will last forever, gearbox can be a bit hit or miss but if the clutch has been done by a reputable garage you should be fine.

I was tempted at one point pre-Zed, but they were still a bit out of my price range back then sadly.

Blimey, anyone would think they're an old Rover or Alfa judging by the posts here! Budget a couple of grand a year for servicing and consumables and you'll be sorted, just buy well in the first place.

+1000

Don't listen to the doom mongering of people who've never owned or driven such a car.

Just because its £60k less than list doesn't mean its going to be cheap to run. Who would buy an M6 and moan about getting 15 mpg?

Servicing will be slightly more than an M3 so budget about £800 for an inspection I and about £1200 for an Inspection II. Servicing intervals on M cars are dictated by the way you drive the car and not the usual 9k/12 months like zeds. Drive it on lots of shorts runs and the service comes sooner etc. I owned my M for 13 months and when I sold it it still said 4k till the next service......... so even though the service costs are high they don't come round that often......

The SMG box is awesome, changes in a millisecond, it can be quite savage when you give it some. And yes you can use the paddles or cruise in auto. Its actually just an automated manual gear box and not a standard auto.....

A new clutch at 25k does not neccessarily mean its been thrashed. Its a heavy car with 500bhp going through it, its going to wear out consumables fairly quick, so 25k is pretty reasonable for a car like this...

Blimey, anyone would think they're an old Rover or Alfa judging by the posts here! Budget a couple of grand a year for servicing and consumables and you'll be sorted, just buy well in the first place.

+1000

Don't listen to the doom mongering of people who've never owned or driven such a car.

Just because its £60k less than list doesn't mean its going to be cheap to run. Who would buy an M6 and moan about getting 15 mpg?

Servicing will be slightly more than an M3 so budget about £800 for an inspection I and about £1200 for an Inspection II. Servicing intervals on M cars are dictated by the way you drive the car and not the usual 9k/12 months like zeds. Drive it on lots of shorts runs and the service comes sooner etc. I owned my M for 13 months and when I sold it it still said 4k till the next service......... so even though the service costs are high they don't come round that often......

The SMG box is awesome, changes in a millisecond, it can be quite savage when you give it some. And yes you can use the paddles or cruise in auto. Its actually just an automated manual gear box and not a standard auto.....

A new clutch at 25k does not neccessarily mean its been thrashed. Its a heavy car with 500bhp going through it, its going to wear out consumables fairly quick, so 25k is pretty reasonable for a car like this...

+1 Agree with everything said.

I also agree though with what others said that this car is way above the league of a TT :lol:

Why not look at the 635d? Supposed to be the best in the range according to autocar, and will still be rapid. I think the 535d has the same time as the 350z around the top gear test track, so we know the diesel engine is top notch!

If i had £30K + to spend and be willing to put up with running costs i'll be getting one of these in a flash;

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1891200.htm

So much a nicer car than a M6 (IMO), and probably will not depreciate any more....I know some people just dont like 911s but the 996 is such a bargain at the moment... infact if i wasn't getting married i probably would have got one by now :cloud9:

If i had £30K + to spend and be willing to put up with running costs i'll be getting one of these in a flash;

So much a nicer car than a M6 (IMO), and probably will not depreciate any more....I know some people just dont like 911s but the 996 is such a bargain at the moment... infact if i wasn't getting married i probably would have got one by now :cloud9:

And how do you fit a bike in that?

Hi guys thanks for the raft of responces.

I agree that service costs will probably take up the bulk of the expense here - I wouldn't be thanked for encouraging him down this route at the end of the day I reckon.

I did have him sitting in a Black Edition 370Z but he wasn't feeling it :(

Porsche Turbo is a cracker - I'll send him on the link for that ;)

To be honest it just kills me to see someone pay out £30k for a new TT when there are so many other nice cars out there. The TT is a solid car but there are about a million of them around Aberdeen :(

Chris

I spotted a guy today take 2 bikes out of the back of a Porsche 928, classy and practical!

I spotted a guy today take 2 bikes out of the back of a Porsche 928, classy and practical!

Not a 911 though ;)