Speeding ticket!

phinnies1

Just had a NIP come for driving on the A303 nr Wiltshire, apparently 96mph in a Z is too fast. I thought I got it down lower than that but I guess I spotted him too late. I guess I should think myself lucky, if he had seen me 10 mins before it could be a ban on the way. Also this is the 1st fine in 10 years so not the worst.

Anyone have any experience of what to expect, I have read a little and see that the cut off for a fixed penalty is 95 and saw some horror stories of people being fined in excess of £750 with costs for 96 in that county.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be able to take a speed awareness course. Not sure if its only available for 3 point situations. Given the length you have been clean it seems reasonable to say you are not a habitual offender. And it may help reduce the fine / points.

Good luck chap. Let's hope they are in a good mood!

Def 6 points, fine is dependant on your circumstances. Say that you were borrowing the car and turn up dressed as if you're homeless!

Bad luck, although I'm in the same position no points in 10 years, although I'm sure without a doubt I'll get caught against soon - since owning the Zed, it's just too easy to speed. The next issue is the fact the speed limits on some roads change every 200 yards! You can never keep on top of the ever changing limits, then on top of that you have pot holes in the road - as well as useless drivers - am I ranting here? :rant:

My mate overtook the police at 97 in his evo, got off with it because of calibration and the amount of factors which could affect the accuracy of a moving camera in the police car. Get yourself a good lawyer and they'll get you off.

There's radar jammers available which are parking sensors. They are fully legal as the cameras in vans etc work on a free wave. Read up on it.

To put it bk into perspective 96 mph, you bad boy! I bet your regretting now. I'm the same you don't realise how silly speeding is until after you've slowed down. If I lose my license I lose my job as I'm a mobile engineer. So I tend to drive slower than most except for slight moments of madness. I like the slow lane of the motorway and cruise control and just let people admire and envy lol

Good luck with it though

I fell asleep behind the wheel in 2005 (Didn't own the Z back then). Rumble strips in the central reservation woke me up, I pooped myself, looked at the speedo - 97mph - Oh crumbs, checked the rear view to see a strip of blue LED's flashing their arse off. Suffice to say I got a rollocking. They thought I was drunk so had the test, which was 0 (I don't really drink lol), fortunately.

Just got 3points & a £60 fine! I actually thanked them after, not only for their leniency, but also the fact they probably saved mine or someone else's life! Shockingly enough I don't take the risk to drive tired any more . . .

i got done 7 years ago in wales leaving anglesey on the dual carriageway doing 97, was an unmarked car. knew something wasn't right when i saw him behind me, took to long to realize, and just as i did, the lights came on :doh:

got 3 points and a £60 fine. was my first offense and only one, been a lot more careful since then. he even told me if it had been just under 90 they'd have let me off. not only that, he even said it takes our cameras in the car about 3 quarters of a mile to accurately read your speed. and that i should have realized earlier. :blush:

i learnt my lesson, i'm alot more careful now.

my personal view, you got caught you take your punishment, if you can't do the time; don't do the crime ;)

I got caught for the first time about 18months ago :dry: Just after midnight on a deserted dual carriageway, was doing 45 in a 30 :blush: 3points, £60 fine & a telling off from the "kind" officer & told to watch my speed on the way home :dry:

I got banned for 21 days and a £235 fine for doing 101mph on my way to the Wales run :D

Hope that wasn't on a country road!! :scare:

Nope, J15 of the M6, and it was a good job they didn't clock me at J14 as I might still be in jail :lol:

'my personal view, you got caught you take your punishment, if you can't do the time; don't do the crime'

Strange comment, I didnt moan about picking up a ticket, I am more than prepared to take whatever they throw at me, truth is I have been very very lucky to make it 10 years since the last one given the cars I have had and knew this was inevitable sooner or later. Just mentioned it to see if anybody had any experience with that constabulary so I can brace myself for worst case scenario.

I think all that calibration certificate malarky is just delaying the inevitable and coming across like a wanger. Best to just own up to the deed and take it like a man. I understand doing it if your on 9 points already and plan to take it to court, but otherwise you will save your dignity and time by just taking it.

I was recently pulled for undertaking, a manouvere I wasn't fully aware of being illegal. I always thought undertaking was passing a car on the inside and then pulling back into the outside lane, the opposite of an overtake. But I was informed that simply driving faster and passing the car in that wrong lane was an undertake, regardless of wither I pull in front of him or stay where I am.

I owned up to it and agree'd completely with his version of the events and apologised for it, he was almost taken back and informed me that it was a stupid thing to do for 6 points, and that if I wanted to drive my lovely car fast, do it in the country side, not the city. He then kindly told me to get on my way, to which I was very appreciative. I put that all down to being honest and apologetic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But the majority of the time, being an arrogant wanger will just get you prosecuted regardless.

'my personal view, you got caught you take your punishment, if you can't do the time; don't do the crime'

Strange comment, I didnt moan about picking up a ticket, I am more than prepared to take whatever they throw at me, truth is I have been very very lucky to make it 10 years since the last one given the cars I have had and knew this was inevitable sooner or later. Just mentioned it to see if anybody had any experience with that constabulary so I can brace myself for worst case scenario.

no more aimed at the people hinting at methods of getting off early on in the thread. not specifically at you.

i'm not polishing my halo at home, as i do speed. but i am more aware now of the consequences :blush:

i'm hoping you only get 3 points and a 60 quid fine.

some places if its a real cop let you off; places like wales like to nail you to a flag pole :lol: specially if your foreign :lol:

I think in some cases this flat rate of 3 point and 60 quid fine a bit of a joke...

for example 34mph at 3am and on an open road? Hardly see the harm, use discretion mr policeman and dont get jealous of the nice car :please:

As far as I know it's all to do with the area. I.e. It's 30 for a reason, altho it's stupidly late and there's probably no-one about, if they are about they would be expecting car's to be doing 30. If you are doing 40 it's a lot easier for them to get run over and if you do hit them the damage will be even worse.

Where as if you are going 90mph on a 70mph motorway there's less likely to be anyone just randomly wandering around. If you hit someone at 70mph or 90mph there's no chance they'll survive, unless they are the luckiest sod around. The only real problem with it is if you have an accident with another car it will still be worse at 90mph than 70mph

Of course the other thing is you are still breaking the law so you will still get done by the cops, but this is my opinion of why they usually offer more leniency when on dual carriageways and motorways