VQ35HR TT project

Lexx

ok ok,

before you all start going on about the for sale thread, and wishing Id make my mind up I'll explain whats happened.

Basically, the car wouldnt sell, I coulndt strip her to standard, and was fed up of a particular few dreamers and w@nkers who basically wanted something for nothing.

I did alot of driving over the weekend, and basically fell back in love with the Zed again. And as of today, she is officially no longer for sale.

A few of the NE members know of my new plans already.

I've spent the past few days spending a good deal of time over on my350z forum, but im not posting as I cant be bothered with the flaming Its all very well using the search function over there, and it is full of loads of good info, but sometimes UK specific questions need to be asked.

Im using this thread for you guys to give your knowledge and imput to help me work through all this. :)

I'm looking at getting the GTM Twin Turbo kit Stage 2 (found half way down this page http://www.turbo-kits.com/350Z_turbo_kits.html#07-08)

After doing much reading, it appears that the stock HR engine is good for circa 500bhp without changing internals. A number of cars in the US have ran for a few years without issues at these levels. some are every day cars. Ive PM's Abbey for their input, but would appreciated any knowlegable opinions from anyone else.

Main reason for chosing this kit over the GReddy one, is that it comes with many of the parts already included - fuel pump, injectors etc. And the reviews from the US are that they are all quality parts. and at $8500 dollers even with import duty and shipping, I'd hope to be only looking at about £8000.

I'm a complete Noob at all these things really, and totally learning as I go. I wont be installing the kit myself, I'll leave that to the pro's.

Additional parts needed -

Fuel return system

True Duel exhaust

uprated brakes

turbo timer

guages and their associated wiring

and about 100 other little things!!

I'm budgetting about £11k, plus whatever else it costs for installation and mapping. Just gotta find all the money now :wacko:

Wish me luck!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a few of the turbo setups i've seen on the web over in the USA run the same true dual as me the invidia G200/G300

not sure how much of a difference the exhausts make once you go down that route, but its good quality. originally they were about $1000 dollars or more, but they've come down, especially on the older G200, think they are about $800. another option would be to look at a custom build; hayward and scott are very good and build quality systems for all kinds of car. to give you an idea on price they quoted me around £550 for a cat back system which you could specify your own tips, pipe diameter, back box style etc.

as for brakes if you already have brembos i'd say look at the full DBA or Dixcel setup just uprate discs and pads. or go BBK and if budget is an issue possibly the K-sport system, bennett seems to like it.

as for the rest i'm into unknown territory, poeple like zmanalex will have a better idea,

Lexx. I looked into the GTM kit when I bought my HKS kit from them. There have been a few issues in the states with kits they have sold having a lot of missing pieces. GTM are also quite possibly the most ignorant company I have ever dealt with - They are brilliant, right up until the point they recieve your money. After that you will get more communications from a brick wall tbh.

You also don't need a TD exhaust but it does help & a turbo timer isn't necessary either but it isn't a huge cost at the same time :) I've done a lot of research into the GTM TT kit so if you need any advice drop me a PM :thumbs:

Lexx. I looked into the GTM kit when I bought my HKS kit from them. There have been a few issues in the states with kits they have sold having a lot of missing pieces. GTM are also quite possibly the most ignorant company I have ever dealt with - They are brilliant, right up until the point they recieve your money. After that you will get more communications from a brick wall tbh.

You also don't need a TD exhaust but it does help & a turbo timer isn't necessary either but it isn't a huge cost at the same time :) I've done a lot of research into the GTM TT kit so if you need any advice drop me a PM :thumbs:

Ian, did you get a GTM upgrade on the HKS supercharger? It's one of the kits I'm considering...

Ian, did you get a GTM upgrade on the HKS supercharger? It's one of the kits I'm considering...

Yeah, I got the stage 2 kit :thumbs: Really good bit of kit & all going well should be on by the end of the week B)

I watch with interest Lexx, good luck with it all and great choice keeping the car :thumbs:

This forum has gone FI crazy over the last month or so....Its great! :teeth:

+1

Im loving it, its time we started to catch up with those yanks! it seems like your the odd one out over there if you DON'T have FI!

:clap:

well done for keeping the Z lexx and even better in going FI and TT for that matter B)

I think the GTM kit is a comprehensive kit and should just be bolt on :thumbs:

I know Ian had some issues with them but they have a good reputation and i found it easiy to communicate with them when making enquiries in picking up a vortech kit they had installed to aprevious customer.

Personally i wouild save myself some money and get a low mileage preowned one and put the savings towards preowned forge internals :thumbs: the high torque with TT is the killer and if you really want to safely enjoy the car.

you can do this through a reputable gararge who can check everything before shipping!

Use bundlevox for shipping and save youself a bundle too! you tell them what the kit is worth and they get it to Uk and can sort out duty for you to saving you shed loads. the other thing is you can store all you parts there and then send all as one shipment for free withing one months or for a small charge thereafter!

Goodluck with everything and we look forward to your progress thread B)

:clap:

well done for keeping the Z lexx and even better in going FI and TT for that matter B)

I think the GTM kit is a comprehensive kit and should just be bolt on :thumbs:

I know Ian had some issues with them but they have a good reputation and i found it easiy to communicate with them when making enquiries in picking up a vortech kit they had installed to aprevious customer.

Personally i wouild save myself some money and get a low mileage preowned one and put the savings towards preowned forge internals :thumbs: the high torque with TT is the killer and if you really want to safely enjoy the car.

you can do this through a reputable gararge who can check everything before shipping!

Use bundlevox for shipping and save youself a bundle too! you tell them what the kit is worth and they get it to Uk and can sort out duty for you to saving you shed loads. the other thing is you can store all you parts there and then send all as one shipment for free withing one months or for a small charge thereafter!

Goodluck with everything and we look forward to your progress thread B)

They were really good to communicate with tight up until they have your money :thumbdown:

Personally I wouldn't go pre owned - too much of a risk especially with the kind of money your talking about but I guess some people prefer to do things on the cheap :shrug: