Dyno Results dissapointment.........

JAMIE MOY

Havnt read all the posts but it sounds like your power may be down to a CEL being thrown, they dont always show up on as a dash light. It also may be due to the mods and no remap.

The wheel compensation number they used is all out, it should be approx +30% on your wheel HP so your coming in at about 325bhp.

Have you got your chart? Post that up.

Did they hook your ECU up?

Sparks dont change much, had mine 46k and they were pretty black when they came out. dyno'd before and after showed very little.

Best thing to do is talk to someone who knows what they are talking about with the Zeds and tuning.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear in mind that the room will affect the outcome. Even putting a fan in front of the car is no replacement for driving the car, all you are doing is moving warm air around the car. To get a true outcome you need a properly air-coned room that keeps the ambient temp down as well as simulating the moving air.

As others have said - the amount you are down is nothing to worry about.

BHP is not something to get hung up on. Get out, drive the car. If it feels good thats cool. If not then give it a good service and that should sort it out.

Also bear in mind that while some filters/ exhausts may sound better it does not mean you will get a bhp improvement - some will even loose you some.

Thanks guys you are gents............ :)

Will take all this info in and try different things to up my power..........

The car does feel great though and to me fast as F*@k as my other car is a bus of a Grand C4 Picasso :lol:

Going to get the car serviced and then maybe a re-map of the ECU then see what gains I achieve or lose...... :lol:

Will try and post my Dyno graph up later as my scanner is on the blink........ :bang:

If there is anything else that anyone wants to add then please feel free as we all have Z's and the experience is priceless........ :teeth:

I was told it was 287bhp. The car was registered in may 05. I thought the 350z was 287bhp and then the 06 was 297bhp or maybe im wrong lol....

How can you tell if you sparks need changing? is there something i need to look out for or is it just a routine task that needs doing......

You are correct to a certain extent, but only if you are in the States. In the States they quote bhp slightly differently and quote the factory figure of 287bhp whereas in the UK we use a slightly different "correction" method calculating the bhp at the fly as being 276bhp. Both have same output though - they just advertise them differently. However in the 2006 and onward models I believe the States reverted to our system of quoting bhp, hence the 06 and later HR models have similar factory quoted figures to the UK.

Just for info I have been to more than one dyno and one dyno was about 20 bhp less than the other!! Best to get it to Abbey Motorsport in Surrey if you can who have a "hub dyno" which measure it much more accurately and you will get more consistent figures. Most dynos use "rollers" which can lead to inconsistent figures and mis-calibrations. I'm going there this Saturday.

My friend works at Falken Performance, I might book mine in soon and see what results I get. I also have a full stainless steel exhaust and a jwt pop charger. But yes I can understand why you would be dissapointed, but most cars these days rarely meet quoted BHP stats : :dry:

I would dissagree, most VAG cars are over the rated bhp. My Leon FR TDI is supposed to be 168bhp but was 192bhp when I got it checked, sone have even tested over 200bhp.

It will most likely be down to the dyno calibration and operator, i have yet to see two dynos agree with each other ;)

Plugs can make a slight difference, but not enough to worry about, iridiums are used because they have a very long service life, not because they are better than copper, or platinum, you can use any of these providing they are the correct grade.

Aftermarket exhausts can make a big difference, especially if they are too large bore, and will loose mid range torque on an N/A motor, and as said, a badly designed induction kit Can also play its part if its not getting a good supply of cold air, the filters also can be either next to useless, or alternatively block too easy, all of which can have an impact.

Jamie,

Give me a shout mate as I am just down the road from you and I will soon tell you if you are only running 181 hhp at the wheels and 222 torque. :thumbs:

Alex.

I'd take him up on that offer, Alex has about the best knowledge of Zeds in the UK, you wont get a better offer ;)

Thanks Alex I will take you up on that offer............ Im free anytime as I'm not offshore until March so let us know when it suits you........

Just PM me details on where to find you or phone number so we can arrange this..........

I will PM you my number..........

Cheers mate......... :)

UK cars dont ever seem to run the quoted BHPNissan say we find but these cars need to run a certain way on the dyno to give a good reliable figure.

You need to run in 4th gear , do 4 or 5 full throttle runs you notice the bhp will increase a sthe runs count up , then let the car cool off for 2/3 mintues then carry out a full throttle run , this will give the most reliable figure we find.

We normally see around 230/235 bhp at the hubs for a stock DE UK car this equates to around 265/270 bhp at the flywheel , I have run a few so happy to quote hub bhp , but you can't compare figured between dyno,s thou.

any more questions ask away.

Mark

You need to run in 4th gear , do 4 or 5 full throttle runs you notice the bhp will increase a sthe runs count up , then let the car cool off for 2/3 mintues then carry out a full throttle run , this will give the most reliable figure we find.

Good to see someone else finds this too. I have heard it in the States that it happens on the 370z too. When we had a RR day at Surrey RR, I think they did the pulls in 3rd gear for some and the numbers didnt seem right, but they assured the members that wasnt causing it. When I had mine on a DD dyno at Eurospec, my car made spot on numbers for what I was expecting with a plenum spacer, came out at 240WHP with nice flat torque curve, so stock I guess it would have been 10 or so HP down - if mods claimed HP are to be beleived ;)

UK cars dont ever seem to run the quoted BHPNissan say we find but these cars need to run a certain way on the dyno to give a good reliable figure.

We normally see around 230/235 bhp at the hubs for a stock DE UK car this equates to around 265/270 bhp at the flywheel , I have run a few so happy to quote hub bhp , but you can't compare figured between dyno,s thou.

any more questions ask away.

Mark

good explanation :thumbs: mine pulled 265 org on the dyno on the fly. going to remember the full throttle runs and cool off period :scare:

I pick a dyno and generally stay with that dyno operator only to see if any mods make difference upwards or downwards :lol: (only change if there is mechanical reason to...)

Good to see someone else finds this too. I have heard it in the States that it happens on the 370z too. When we had a RR day at Surrey RR, I think they did the pulls in 3rd gear for some and the numbers didnt seem right, but they assured the members that wasnt causing it. When I had mine on a DD dyno at Eurospec, my car made spot on numbers for what I was expecting with a plenum spacer, came out at 240WHP with nice flat torque curve, so stock I guess it would have been 10 or so HP down - if mods claimed HP are to be beleived ;)

Thats surprising, i and many others find SRR to be about the most consistent and genuine RR, IE they don't tailor results to keep owners happy, i know of at least four other car clubs that only use them, plus a couple of well respected mappers.

not the dyno causing problems it understanding how the car works , these car self learn, any difference in driving issues they start to self learnagain , delete the self learn while on the dyno it will take 5/6 runs for the car to get back the where it was..

I dig a dyno sheet out showing this sometime.

Mark

Thats surprising, i and many others find SRR to be about the most consistent and genuine RR, IE they don't tailor results to keep owners happy, i know of at least four other car clubs that only use them, plus a couple of well respected mappers.

As Mark said, its down to knowing the car. Now we know you need to do a fair few pulls at WOT (5-6) before doing a final pull, we can let any dyno technician know that and they know for in future. When we were at SRR last time, I think most cars only got 3 or maybe 4 pulls. Intersting to see it can cause different results though ;) Not at all saying SRR were at fault btw, they did everything right on the day, just shows you need more pulls.

As Mark said, its down to knowing the car. Now we know you need to do a fair few pulls at WOT (5-6) before doing a final pull, we can let any dyno technician know that and they know for in future. When we were at SRR last time, I think most cars only got 3 or maybe 4 pulls. Intersting to see it can cause different results though ;) Not at all saying SRR were at fault btw, they did everything right on the day, just shows you need more pulls.

I'm not sure any dyno operator want to do that many pulls per car, might need to tell them in advance and it might change the pricing and time it would take to go though a few cars on a dyno session.

If the 350Z has a true self lean ECU, then that would explain all the very different MPG results in some of the related threads, and obviously not known by a lot of the owners, or the questions wouldn't need to be asked? maybe it would be worth posting up in the info section?

Thinking about what has been mentioned earlier in this thread about the ECU being a learning type and adjusting to your general driving style, then remapping is not going to have the desired effect unless the car is driven to the max on most occasions, so to me it doesn't really make much sense.

Thinking about what has been mentioned earlier in this thread about the ECU being a learning type and adjusting to your general driving style, then remapping is not going to have the desired effect unless the car is driven to the max on most occasions, so to me it doesn't really make much sense.

speak to abbey

they have a better understanding than anyone. and will be able to answer all and any questions you have. and should be able to put your mind at rest of what the ECU can and can't do, and what it is or isn't capable of doing.

Not have the desired effect in what sense? If you are not driving the current car to the max, then why have a remap in the first place? If you want to get quicker in the car, you are far better off doing driver training, it will make you much quicker than a bit of extra HP and a slug of torque. Saying that, the remap offers more than just more power/torque. It offers true WOT, and better pedal response. So yes, while the car may decide to "detune" itself a bit if you just bimble about in the short term, the potential is there and you will notice the difference, even when daily driving and on the track it will adapt by the time you warm the car up properly :thumbs:

My two comments and the whole point in making them, is based on the fact that people are remarking on there 350Zs not making the quoted power on the dyno, and Abby's remark about it taking 5-6 runs to achieve this, and the further comment that the ECU is a learning type.

So my conclusion is that if you are going to spend X amount on induction and exhaust mods, but only see a real increase when the ECU is remapped, but then not be able to use this extra power when you want, without driving it like you stole it for a couple of miles first, to me this kind of defeats the whole object! and i think it would for most people.

This has nothing to do with driving ability, do you really think that most people who mod these cars are actually going to go to performance driver training first, because they have come to the conclusion that their car is not quick enough for them?