Zed Vs. Golf GTI

MattMe

Driving back from Newcastle this weekend with a boot full and the missus (although her weight is nothing not a factor in this story :lol: ) and had a bit of an under/over taking session with a '07 plate Golf GTI with 3 lads in it. Nothing silly, just avoiding deathly boredom in the traffic. They happened to pull off at the same junction onto a dual carriageway where they slowed down so I was beside them (fairly low revs, 3rd gear) so I floored it...

:surrender:

I was just starting to pull away at 90 when the dual turned into a single carriageway so I backed off and let them pull ahead.

I noticed on the motorway it accelerated quite quick but considering both cars had some weight in them I thought the V6 "300BHP" zed would easily pull away. Granted, he may have been in a better gear to start but they're only 200-230bhp.

I'd like to get it on a rr now and see what it's actualyl putting out.

Anyone else come up against a Golf GTI and been embarrased?

Come to think of it they had pulled of the huge VW bagde from the boot (but leaving the mounting holes), saving weight and no doubt increasing bhp by over 10%...

You never know what people have done to their cars though. The Golfs are fairly easily tuneable and could have easily had a power hike, or as you say, was in a better gear to get going. I wouldn't be too disheartened.

+1 when I first got my Zed I had a play with a modded Leon Cupra I knew which was putting out 280HP+ and he was very close to me in terms of speed, he just lost out top end. VAG engines are very easy to tune, come forged from the factory, so just keep cranking the boost up, good intake and exhaust and away you go ;)

Driving back from Newcastle this weekend with a boot full and the missus (although her weight is nothing not a factor in this story :lol: ) and had a bit of an under/over taking session with a '07 plate Golf GTI with 3 lads in it. Nothing silly, just avoiding deathly boredom in the traffic. They happened to pull off at the same junction onto a dual carriageway where they slowed down so I was beside them (fairly low revs, 3rd gear) so I floored it...

:surrender:

I was just starting to pull away at 90 when the dual turned into a single carriageway so I backed off and let them pull ahead.

I noticed on the motorway it accelerated quite quick but considering both cars had some weight in them I thought the V6 "300BHP" zed would easily pull away. Granted, he may have been in a better gear to start but they're only 200-230bhp.

I'd like to get it on a rr now and see what it's actualyl putting out.

Anyone else come up against a Golf GTI and been embarrased?

Come to think of it they had pulled of the huge VW bagde from the boot (but leaving the mounting holes), saving weight and no doubt increasing bhp by over 10%...

3 lads beat you in there shopping car so you want to spend money finding out exactly how this could have happened??

Like its been said, you dont know whats under the hood...

You can spend around 1k tuning a Focus ST and it will be as quick as the standard RS.....

Looks can be decieving.... Incidentally a guy at work next to me has just purchased a new shape golf as standard and couldnt believe how quick it is... they have come on leaps and bounds since the Mark 4 which was sllloooooow.

The Golf R32 (not the same as a GTI I know but it's still got only around 245 bhp admittedly with 4WD) beat the 350 Z round the TopGear track IIRC. I'd still rather have a Z though :drive1

yeh it did, 1.4 secs quicker. Out of interest was the one they put on the track the import back in 2002? Shame it wasnt a UK car.

Also 370z is 4.5 secs quicker which was a UK car. Big jump!!

Having had the 370z out on track, it should not supprise you that much given it was against an 03 350z ;) The jump to me from my Zed to a 370z in terms of performance and handling is quite significant, although I am on stock suspension and sways etc which you arent any more. A stock 370z is way better than a stock 350z. Stock 370z vs modified 350z, not such a big gap :thumbs:

Having had the 370z out on track, it should not supprise you that much given it was against an 03 350z ;) The jump to me from my Zed to a 370z in terms of performance and handling is quite significant, although I am on stock suspension and sways etc which you arent any more. A stock 370z is way better than a stock 350z. Stock 370z vs modified 350z, not such a big gap :thumbs:

Yeh got to agree there. Unfortunatly it wasnt like for like, 370z's i have driven have all been left hookers and also Autos. I will get a manual with the wheel on the correct side on the track soon!!

It was also tainted by driving the gt-r about 20 mins later so my comparissons and thoughts were just thrown completly out of the water!!

It did feel a solid, sure footed car though on the track and did feel like it had more power in other areas. Didnt have my 350z stock for long enough to really test the differences but I know I am happy with the way it is.. just hoping the 370z is as good when I get near one! Or I will be spending more cash!!

The Golf R32 (not the same as a GTI I know but it's still got only around 245 bhp admittedly with 4WD) beat the 350 Z round the TopGear track IIRC. I'd still rather have a Z though :drive1

yeh it did, 1.4 secs quicker. Out of interest was the one they put on the track the import back in 2002? Shame it wasnt a UK car.

Different driver, different day, different weather... Top Gear laps count for nothing unless they're done on the same day head to head.

Golf GTi is a quick car, particularly in DSG guise. From the stats I wouldn't expect to see a massive difference between cars on the road. The zed is only a second quicker to 60 and that really doesn't equate to much on the road.

Plus he may have been in a better gear to start with and may not be standard.

Don't worry about it!

Golf GTi is a quick car, particularly in DSG guise. From the stats I wouldn't expect to see a massive difference between cars on the road. The zed is only a second quicker to 60 and that really doesn't equate to much on the road.

Don't worry about it!

+1

Even if you assume that the GTi and the Zed were identical in terms of acceleration and top speed, wouldn't you still choose the Zed? :dance:

Don't worry about it!

+1

Even if you assume that the GTi and the Zed were identical in terms of acceleration and top speed, wouldn't you still choose the Zed? :dance:

+2

My mate has a revod GTI & there is nothing between us, Now hes got an Evo 7 aswell :byebye: that thing is rapid

My last car was a Mk5 GTi (200bhp). Nice and nimble car, but I think in most cases the Z would win over and over, so most likely that'd been tweaked.

I wouldn't feel too disheartened.

But, as previously stated, it is quite surprising how on the road some cars seem to keep up!

this reminds me of another thread where people were talking about seat leons and other hot hatches that were quicker.

do you remember a thread about a race spec'd out and turbo'd lada/skoda, something old and naff (i can't remember) it was faster than a lambo and other exotica.

its the same principal here. the other car might keep up, but i know what i would prefer to be driving. ;)

this reminds me of another thread where people were talking about seat leons and other hot hatches that were quicker.

do you remember a thread about a race spec'd out and turbo'd lada/skoda, something old and naff (i can't remember) it was faster than a lambo and other exotica.

its the same principal here. the other car might keep up, but i know what i would prefer to be driving. ;)

Yup, thats what Clarkson always gets f'off about. He drives up in a Fezza and someone will say, "oooh I have a Nova that can beat that", but at the end of the day, its still a Nova :lol: And at the end of the day, the Zed would take a hopped up GTI in the twisties if they both have stock suspension ;)

was probabley a gti 30 edition, you can never tell what there puttin out, i had a dabble with a 08 reg r32 on sat, i pulled a good distance ahead and he wasnt catching, no excuse for him he had dsg, the look on his face when i slowed down, proper evils haha

I'd say the gti would be quite close to the z standard never mind one that could be tuned a bit. The one big downside to the z is that you can't get decent gains for decent money so therefore "lesser" cars will easily sit with/beat the z once tuned. I work with a guy who has a mk4 anniversary diesel and after spending about a grand on the car it easily beats the z.

I've also got a standard Leon FR TDI that feels as fast as my 350z in certain conditions, right gear and revs etc. For about £750 I can get the restrictive DPF removed and it with then be 240bhp and 400lbft torque, also 50 mpg lol. Still rather drive the Z, but the Leon is a decent quick diesel.

I'd say the gti would be quite close to the z standard never mind one that could be tuned a bit. The one big downside to the z is that you can't get decent gains for decent money so therefore "lesser" cars will easily sit with/beat the z once tuned. I work with a guy who has a mk4 anniversary diesel and after spending about a grand on the car it easily beats the z.

Any FI car is very easy to get gains from. Turn up the boost and sort the air flow (intake/exhaust) and thats all you need to do, especially with VAG cars as they are bomb proof. Give me an example of an NA car that easily get gains ;)

Any FI car is very easy to get gains from. Turn up the boost and sort the air flow (intake/exhaust) and thats all you need to do, especially with VAG cars as they are bomb proof. Give me an example of an NA car that easily get gains ;)

Oh definately you're 100% spot on, the new M3 had to go to a V8 due to the fact that they couldn't get the power out of the V6. It's just a bit annoying when you get whipped by a diesel golf.