Zed Vs. Golf GTI

MattMe

It's best not to compare everything as an out and out race, you will end up driving yourself mad. Instead, try to think about the overall enjoyment the car gives you on the right piece of road. If the sound, looks, smooth pull and handling (with the option of sideways action where approved) does not do it for you then you probably are in the wrong car.

Vintage 911's etc are still incredibly desireable to enthusiasts, despite being nowhere near as fast a to b as a modern hot hatch... It's the overall package :thumbs:

It's best not to compare everything as an out and out race, you will end up driving yourself mad. Instead, try to think about the overall enjoyment the car gives you on the right piece of road. If the sound, looks, smooth pull and handling (with the option of sideways action where approved) does not do it for you then you probably are in the wrong car.

Vintage 911's etc are still incredibly desireable to enthusiasts, despite being nowhere near as fast a to b as a modern hot hatch... It's the overall package :thumbs:

Spot on :thumbs:

Oh definately you're 100% spot on, the new M3 had to go to a V8 due to the fact that they couldn't get the power out of the V6.

Straight 6 ;)

I once got thumped by an old Citroen AX in a straight line when I had my VXR220. I've no idea what he was running as sadly there was no opportunity to pull over and chat, but I gave him a huge thumbs up as he went sailing past me. I've never understood why people take pleasure at beating a slower car or get angry at being beaten by a faster car, regardless of what it is. Every car has it's upsides and downsides, nothing does everything well so why not just simply enjoy owning/driving them and give a fellow enthusiast a courteous smile or nod next time? Not aiming that at anyone in particular, just an observation.

Good points everyone.

The main reason I posted was because I was surprised, and impressed, by the Golf. Not upset!

I once borrow a company GTI Mk5 with DSG... :drive1

It stank when I got home but it was a bloody good drive. Best FWD I can recall driving.

Obviously I'd rather have a 350z than a Golf, otherwise I wouldn't be here, would I? I love RWD and I love the torque of a V6. Plus I'm not fond of turbo cars.

I just imageine when driving round the Zed's going to be faster than most hot hatches when nowadays they aren't. Damn it.

Also had a Punto up my arse on the M1 after some roadworks, again I was totally in the wrong gear, just left it in 6th whereas he was probably in 3rd or something but it stayed with me right up till... well... quite fast!

Next time I'll drop it down a cog (when I'm in the car alone) and show 'em a thing or two!

It's a shame there's no way to add significant power without going FI but I'm still happy... For now...

:lol:

Oh and my girlfriend finds it hilarious I got 'so upset' that I posted on here about it. :disguise:

You just dont know whats under the bonnet. I mate of mine from Doncaster is always telling me about a 3 wheeler that is made up to look like a mouse, yes, tail and ears also fitted :headhurt: . People think its funny until they get toasted :lol: My mates had Evos, Scoobys, Skyline and M3 and not managed to give The MOUSE a good chase :lol::lol::lol:

I agree with all the previous posts. You don't know what he's got under the hood.

My friend had an R32 and now has an S3. Both of them look completely stock with no bodykit or anything. Only thing is the R32 was supercharged and his S3 pumps out 420 HP.

Seen him skin Porches! :blackeye:

Mate has an R32 and took it for a spin - very nice, handled well and with paddle gear changes could do what he wanted approaching the corners. Did the same in the Z, a bit slower (and he's a better driver) BUT the smile on our faces were way bigger :teeth::teeth::teeth:

Like everyone is saying, the overall package is what counts.

Just need it STOP snowing :angry:

I got 'matched' from a standing start thru to 70mph the other day by a bloke in a Crysler 300cc..... i was a little gutted until i let him charge ahead from 70, and saw the 5.7 HEMI badge on the back :teeth:

I bet he used three times as much fuel as you as well :)

:)

The normal MK5 will map to 230-240bhp if the figures are to be believed.

The MK5 ED30 GTI (body coloured bumpers front and rear) is 230 stock and will remap (with no other mods) to near enough 300bhp.

Same as the S3, TTS and MK2 Leon Cupra.

They weigh about 1370kg without fatties in. As I said in the other thread about the hatchies. My leon had more low range thrust than the 350z due to the turbo and the shorter range gearing. So I assume the 2.0 T would be similar running similar power, so they could of also caught you off guard, unless you were already at 4krpm and ready to drop..

Still. I think they should do a hotter version of the zed. Something with 350-380 bhp would be nice, so it keeps the edge over anything but heavily modded hatches!

But obviously, everyone here knows what car they'd rather be driving :D

A drag on the A and M roads, is one thing. But when you're crusing and hitting the twisties, it's still just a golf/leon/skoda!!

Still. I think they should do a hotter version of the zed. Something with 350-380 bhp would be nice, so it keeps the edge over anything but heavily modded hatches!

You need a 370z my friend. Looks to be easily modded to over 350HP with an intake and exhuast ;) Or get the Nismo and its already 350HP :teeth:

You need a 370z my friend. Looks to be easily modded to over 350HP with an intake and exhuast ;) Or get the Nismo and its already 350HP :teeth:

Hi Chris.

Did I say I love what you're wearing today. Can you spare 15k. Cheque is fine... :D

Hi Chris.

Did I say I love what you're wearing today. Can you spare 15k. Cheque is fine... :D

Well you said they should make something hotter to take them on. They dont make a 350z any more, so the 370z should suit you to the ground. Unfortunately I dont have a spare £15k, maybe try Sarnie? :teeth::lol:

I'd rather see a lightened version of the car than one with more power. Would be just as quick in a straight line and yet much faster through the corners and under braking, and really shouldn't be that hard to do: Non-adjustable buckets, swap the plastics and leather for carbon fibre, lose the stereo and make the a/c an option, remove the sound deadening, 18" lighter wheels, smaller battery... Get the weight down by a couple of hundred kilos and sell it for £35K-£40K and I reckon they'd have a decent seller on their hands, especially if done as a limited edition :thumbs:

Thats modern society for you. Everything has to be nice to people who crash and who as hit by the car. If it didnt need to be so solid, they could have cut down all the crash strengthening alot. This would save loads of weight. That or make more of it out of lighter materials, but that would then push it up into Porsche/BMW money. Everthing is done at a price point ;)