Anyone's washer jets freeze this morning???

adammitch69

I used to stay out in the countryside and it was the biggest bain of my life travelling into work when it was freezing as the washers would never work.

I always thought why don't they put a thin heating element within the hose and washer head to prevent it freezing? Would only take a couple of degrees of heat to prevent freezing or unfreeze the skooshers when your driving.

Has any car manufacturer thought of this already or am I sitting on a goldmine of an idea :snack:

Now due to underground car parking I don't have these hassles :yahoo:

Am I the only one that goes round all the windows with warm water before I start her up? I then let the car (and the seat ;)) warm up before going over the washer tubes again with warm water. I then give the washers a go before I finally set off. That way I have no probs.

Am I the only one that goes round all the windows with warm water before I start her up? I then let the car (and the seat ;)) warm up before going over the washer tubes again with warm water. I then give the washers a go before I finally set off. That way I have no probs.

not good man, if its -5 like it is here today and the warm water is 30degrees thats a 35degree difference and its enough to cause thermal shock to the windows and crack them. IMO of course. :drunk:

not good man, if its -5 like it is here today and the warm water is 30degrees thats a 35degree difference and its enough to cause thermal shock to the windows and crack them. IMO of course. :drunk:

better off using mostly cold water. its warm enough to get rid of the ice normally so you can get in and get her running :shrug:

The stuff I have just bought in halfods can be used without water in extreme winter conditions and its florescent green which is cool. As for the heated jets, I had an Omega MV6 with heated jets and I believe trace heated pipework. Still froze up but thawed after about 5 mins.

The stuff I have just bought in halfods can be used without water in extreme winter conditions and its florescent green which is cool. As for the heated jets, I had an Omega MV6 with heated jets and I believe trace heated pipework. Still froze up but thawed after about 5 mins.

God i tried that stuff and hated it!!! could they not do it transparent??? :lol:

I always use concentrate stuff (never diluted) and never had any probs whatsoever... actually just got back from Goldsborough near harrogate where i stayed fr-sat and there was 5-10 inches of snow and -3. Wiper jet washers and head lamp jet washers were working just fine. :thumbs:

For frosty mornings a jug of tap water loosens up the drivers window from the rubber seal (mine is a roadster) and then 10mins on idle with ac on at 25 degrees and heated seat and heated rear window/mirrors on as well. Then all good to go! ;)

I couldn't get into my car on Saturday morning. everything was frozen solid, none of the handles worked :rant:

After about 15 mins of scraping and spraying with deicer the passenger door finally opened (window didn't drop though) once the engine was started things moved a bit more quickly but I still couldn't get into the drivers side...

I took off the door card and lubed all the window and lock mechanism I could get to but not sure if it will help...

Washer jets stayed frozen all day, I had to keep leaning out the window and squirting volvic water on the windscreen! :scare: I tried to do this once on the move (only going slowly, there was no where to stop and I couldn't see anything!) and didn't try again after I got a soaking arm and leg for my troubles...