The 350z-uk PET thread!

Stew

Sorry to hear about Brandy MrsBuster :(

Fodder thanks for the link for the Fido dog training, I've emailed the lady who runs it to arrange an assessment :thumbs: I'll try and get some more pics of Nismo and the MewTang Clan (ie my cats) this weekend.

So many great pics on here :)

S.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the tea towels the cat sleeping place markers?!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

:lol: Yes, we put some old tea towels down for them . We have several luxury cat baskets but they prefer high places for some reason :surrender: .

Pete

Let me introduce Tigger. There's quite a story attached to this cat. Back in October Caroline was approached by a friend of hers who asked us if we could rehome her 2 year old male ginger cat. This cat had been through a lot, it's first owners were very cruel to it (I won't go into details) and eventually after living semi wild for 6 months it was adopted by a couple who lived a few doors away from the original owners. Disaster struck within weeks when it was was knocked down by a car and it was touch and go whether it pulled through. The couple in question had a problem though, their son in law was extremely allergic to cats to the extent that he had to stay in a hotel when visiting them. Anyway, after some thought we decided to adopt him and a couple of weeks later he arrived, extremely nervous and agitated. No problem, I'm good with cats and figured that if we kept him in for a week or so he'd be O.K. Well, things went badly, despite locking the cat flap he managed somehow to rip the actual door of the flap off and escaped. Caroline spotted him up the lane that morning but despite all the tricks in the book including the previous owners driving down here there was no further sign of him. Over the next few weeks I expanded my search covering the 2 local quarries, the large woods an abandoned farmhouse, etc but saw nothing. The lady who trusted us with the cat was besides herself with grief and she joined me on a couple of wide searches. We asked at the Truck Depot at the back of us, the 3 or 4 houses within 2/3rds of a mile the local MacDonalds, half a mile away but no one had seen him. After 3 weeks we put out some posters and a couple of days later we had our first lead, he had been spotted sitting on a bridge at twilight about a 1/4 of a mile away but there were no further sightings for 3 weeks. Then on XMas eve I spotted him in the lane just 20 yards from our house and on Boxing Day we put out what was left of the turkey in our garden and within minutes he was there he was picking away from it. Of course, as soon as I went out off he went...this was going to be tough to get him back.

Sightings increased, my daughter spotted him in our lane and he was coming into our garden every evening. I was leaving out food and on the 30th he came to our back door and cried for food. On New Years eve he allowed me to approach him with food and yesterday he just simply walked up to me allowing me to pick him up, he'd obviously got fed up of living rough and needed somewhere warm to rest up.

Well, here he is this evening relaxed on our couch and loving the attention (and food) being lavished on him.

P1015829_zpscab5601d.jpg

Pete

Edited by JetSet
  • Like 5

What a great end to a rather sad story.

It reminds me a little of the time my aunt went to Australia for 6 months. She trusted my mum with her beloved cat and within a few days it had got out and disappeared. We searched high and low with the odd sighting in the area.

Anyway about 3 weeks after going missing it turned up in the back garden, we left good out as it would scarper if you went near. Over a few nights it gained more trust in me and eventually came into the house. It was my best friend for the next few months.

I've always found cats "like" me for some reason. Always want to come and say hello even when they don't really do people.

You have quite a herd now Pete :)

Let me introduce Tigger. There's quite a story attached to this cat. Back in October Caroline was approached by a friend of hers who asked us if we could rehome her 2 year old male ginger cat. This cat had been through a lot, it's first owners were very cruel to it (I won't go into details) and eventually after living semi wild for 6 months it was adopted by a couple who lived a few doors away from the original owners. Disaster struck within weeks when it was was knocked down by a car and it was touch and go whether it pulled through. The couple in question had a problem though, their son in law was extremely allergic to cats to the extent that he had to stay in a hotel when visiting them. Anyway, after some thought we decided to adopt him and a couple of weeks later he arrived, extremely nervous and agitated. No problem, I'm good with cats and figured that if we kept him in for a week or so he'd be O.K. Well, things went badly, despite locking the cat flap he managed somehow to rip the actual door of the flap off and escaped. Caroline spotted him up the lane that morning but despite all the tricks in the book including the previous owners driving down here there was no further sign of him. Over the next few weeks I expanded my search covering the 2 local quarries, the large woods an abandoned farmhouse, etc but saw nothing. The lady who trusted us with the cat was besides herself with grief and she joined me on a couple of wide searches. We asked at the Truck Depot at the back of us, the 3 or 4 houses within 2/3rds of a mile the local MacDonalds, half a mile away but no one had seen him. After 3 weeks we put out some posters and a couple of days later we had our first lead, he had been spotted sitting on a bridge at twilight about a 1/4 of a mile away but there were no further sightings for 3 weeks. Then on XMas eve I spotted him in the lane just 20 yards from our house and on Boxing Day we put out what was left of the turkey in our garden and within minutes he was there he was picking away from it. Of course, as soon as I went out off he went...this was going to be tough to get him back.

Sightings increased, my daughter spotted him in our lane and he was coming into our garden every evening. I was leaving out food and on the 30th he came to our back door and cried for food. On New Years eve he allowed me to approach him with food and yesterday he just simply walked up to me allowing me to pick him up, he'd obviously got fed up of living rough and needed somewhere warm to rest up.

Well, here he is this evening relaxed on our couch and loving the attention (and food) being lavished on him.

P1015829_zpscab5601d.jpg

Pete

What a great read and a lovely ending.

What a great end to a rather sad story.

It reminds me a little of the time my aunt went to Australia for 6 months. She trusted my mum with her beloved cat and within a few days it had got out and disappeared. We searched high and low with the odd sighting in the area.

Anyway about 3 weeks after going missing it turned up in the back garden, we left good out as it would scarper if you went near. Over a few nights it gained more trust in me and eventually came into the house. It was my best friend for the next few months.

I've always found cats "like" me for some reason. Always want to come and say hello even when they don't really do people.

You have quite a herd now Pete :)

We have had a couple of cats that have gone AWOL over the years. In the 80's we had a little tortie who regularly vanished for 3 weeks, 28 days was her record. Where she went is a mystery there's no one else around here who'd feed her. I used to go searching but after a couple of years just waited for her to return. The neutered tom cat that died last year would also go missing for 10-20 days although we would get the odd glance of him hunting in a field about 1/4 mile away.

When I was 14 or so my Grandmother had to go into an old peoples home so we went to Birkenhead to pick her 2 year old cat up. Upon arrival at home the darned thing wriggled out of my grip and ran off. Didn't see it for 3 weeks and it took another week to ingeniously trap him. Lived till 19 years old that cat :) .

Pete

• Like 1

I've put down my "connection" to cats as my dad had a soft spot, he saved a few over the years from various industrial complexes. One of them became my pet/best friend. She waited for me to get home from school and would look for me.

She would only respond to me, she had a litter and I looked after all of them. She sadly went blind and according to my parents went to a farm where she had the run of the place.

I've always put the affinity they seem to have down to "sooty".

Nice set up SMD , I also keep cichlids (African rift) had a tank pretty much continuously for the last 30 years and also worked in the trade many years ago. What size tank you running? I run a 6ft x 2ft x 2 ft. I'll get some pics up when I've cleaned the glass :lol:

Ps. You'll regret them oscars when they are fully grown ;)

Nice set up SMD , I also keep cichlids (African rift) had a tank pretty much continuously for the last 30 years and also worked in the trade many years ago. What size tank you running? I run a 6ft x 2ft x 2 ft. I'll get some pics up when I've cleaned the glass :lol:

Ps. You'll regret them oscars when they are fully grown ;)

Its 6ft x 2ft x 2ft

I am prepared for some problems but at the moment all getting along fine

3 x Tiger Oscars (8")

1 x Midas Cichlid (7")

1 x Blue Jack Dempsey (5")

1 x Green Terror (5")

1 x Jaguar Cichlid (5")

2 x Kribensis Cichlid (soon to be food for Oscars)

1 x Common Plec (14")

1 x Albino Plec (5")

1 x Dwarf Plec (4")

1 x Yellow Loach (7")

1 x Ruby Shark (7")

3 x Corydoras (soon to be food for Oscars)

2 x Angel Fish (looking for a new home)

Trouble is Oscars, Midas and Jaguar could all get to a foot long easily and get agressive but at the moment all good :thumbs:

Sent from the golf club...

Usually with cichlids you over stock the tank to lower aggression towards each other. As long as you feed well and over filter the tank you should be fine. Of course this doesn't always work and they kill each other but works with mine most of the time. It's when I add new fish I have problems. :shrug:

Usually with cichlids you over stock the tank to lower aggression towards each other. As long as you feed well and over filter the tank you should be fine. Of course this doesn't always work and they kill each other but works with mine most of the time. It's when I add new fish I have problems. :shrug:

Yeah well they have all been together for nearly 4 months now, in a smaller rank and now in the bigger one.

I have been told that the Midas will eat everything and the Oscars will also eat everything but I feed then well, prawns, bloodworm & pellets everyday and once a week a bag of river shrimps for some excercise.

I am going to get some cheap offal to chop up and freeze for them too which they will apparently love.

Sent from the golf club...