Jump to content
dave_7

370Z Nismo Mk1 - Fast road/track build

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Been meaning to get round to this for a while so here it goes...

 

Had the car since March 2017, done around 15 track days so far with it, in which I've learnt loads about the car and have slowly been been addressing issues and shortcoming as they arise (as you get better/faster the more you want to tweaks to your setup). I must say though straight out the box its a great car for fast road and track use. Only main concerns being oil temps on track and fuel starve and being a big old girl obviously costly on consumables.

 

Mods list so far:

Cobra cat back (now sold and replaced with arc grip)

Mishimoto oil cooler kit with thermostatic sandwich plate

tarmac sportz short shifter paired with customer shifter extension and weighted shift knob

Arc grip cat back exhaust

Berk HFCs

Kinetix front camber arms

Hel braided brake lines

20mm Eibach hubcentric wheel spacers front and rear

Silicone Induction hoses paired with stock air box and Cosworth filters

DIY twin baffled oil catch can set up

Rear SPL  titanium camber arms

SPC toe bolts

SPL eccentric lockout kit

Mesiter R CRD coilovers

Gloss black wrapped roof

Nismo Steering wheel refurbed in full alcantara 9040 by Royal steering wheels

 

Also:

RBF660 fluid for brakes and clutch

Federal RS-Pro Semi slick track tyres

Hawk HP+ pads (aimed for autocross and trackdays)

Custom geometry setup 

 

I've also got Z1 engine mounts on the way curiosity of @Umster

 

I'll try and post more detail on the above over the next few weeks but bear with me there is a fair bit to cover.

 

Still on the to do list long term:

Front ARB & droplinks 
Fixed back bucket seats 
Remap (ECUTEK)
Wheel refurb
Transmission mount
Bolt in half cage
Harnesses
Diff bushing
Diff brace
Rear subframe collars
Coolerworx shifter
Ali undertray
Fuel surge tank

Lightweight flywheel 

upgraded CSC

black lug nuts

 

My diff bushing has committed suicide after getting it dead kicked in constantly (not surprised really) so next job will be Diff bushing and diff brace when time and funds allow.

 

I've literally got hundreds of trackday pics but here are some of the highlights

 

ET8I1070.jpg.0401c3e5322df2b2335f5fd727700571.jpg

 

MS1_3493.jpg.b3ad9bec5a84adc128737a424d25e26c.jpgMLCP200601_11307.jpg.87dd8bfe6f9facc634ac9fe801d3b593.jpgMLCP200601_23354.jpg.bc0ce203a6ba382b53750b6ad58ce7ba.jpgMLCP200601_23744.jpg.7ebfafcdaadb58a0bfe010eae2d82682.jpgIMG-20200120-WA0012.jpg.794ea21cead338f04e0852497d42c496.jpg2019-08-02_09-38-54.jpg.946a28e10ef30a257054193dbe5b9695.jpg2019-08-02_09-27-07.jpg.dd87b42fa36ee701dbb9f2338c7dd47b.jpg

 

 

 

 

Edited by dave_7
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

370z track toy. This is a thread I'm gonna follow with a passion. 

 

TJ Hunt on YouTube might be worth a follow. He's fitted a larger baffled oil sump, holds an extra quart of oil which has helped his engine temps massively. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Umster said:

370z track toy. This is a thread I'm gonna follow with a passion. 

 

TJ Hunt on YouTube might be worth a follow. He's fitted a larger baffled oil sump, holds an extra quart of oil which has helped his engine temps massively. 

cheers, I will definitely look into that. 370Z track days are few and far between it seems compared to the 350Z, which is to be expected i guess.

 

I've only ever seen 1 other 370Z on a track day I've been to. Seen plenty of 350s though ranging almost stock to some full on mental racecar builds which is always cool to see. The horsham time attack car has to be a highlight, awesome machine (i believe its been sold on now though sadly)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a fine Zed you have there.

A very rare beast indeed:thumbs:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dreamy car, great spec building!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will also be following this thread, very rare zed you have there mate enjoy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cheers guys, I am glad there is a bit of interest as it is a slightly different take on a 370z than other builds on here.

 

Hopefully there will be others that can have an input sharing what setups/changes they have found good on track! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've already been back several times to check the track photos out :wub: MK1 Nismo on track is a sight to behold. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure I've said this to you before, but this car is simply stunning. I absolutely adore the look of the MK1 Nismo :wub: it certainly looks at home on track!

 

It's good to see a Z getting used properly rather than ruined by idiots like myself :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Umster said:

I've already been back several times to check the track photos out :wub: MK1 Nismo on track is a sight to behold. 

I'm at Oulton park next Friday, then at Angelsey at the start of August so i'll make sure to post up a couple more

 

12 minutes ago, Silverthorn said:

I'm sure I've said this to you before, but this car is simply stunning. I absolutely adore the look of the MK1 Nismo :wub: it certainly looks at home on track!

 

It's good to see a Z getting used properly rather than ruined by idiots like myself :lol:

Cheers mate.

 

I really like your car albeit having a very different end goal to mine. The time, money and attention to detail on you car is top draw. It would be very boring if we all just did the same thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice looking mk1 Nismo I was unsure some years back on the looks of these compared to mk2,but the mk 1 has got it's own look and dare I say it look better in my opion to the mk2 Nismo not an ugly car by all means but the Mk1 Nismo just looks the beans plus in the UK there a lot less than Mk2 Nismo, neither are over popular.

Oulton Park and Anglesey are cracking tracks never been brave enough to do a track day but would like to :D

Welcome along as well:thumbs:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Big Miester said:

Nice looking mk1 Nismo I was unsure some years back on the looks of these compared to mk2,but the mk 1 has got it's own look and dare I say it look better in my opion to the mk2 Nismo not an ugly car by all means but the Mk1 Nismo just looks the beans plus in the UK there a lot less than Mk2 Nismo, neither are over popular.

Oulton Park and Anglesey are cracking tracks never been brave enough to do a track day but would like to :D

Welcome along as well:thumbs:

thank you.

 

Obviously its all personal preference, but the minute i saw a mk1 Nismo in the flesh i had to get one, really does turn heads wherever it goes. The fact they're so rare is a real bonus for me as well. It ticks all the boxes for me; japanese, RWD, manual, N/A with an old school analogue feeling and it looks and drives just how I'd want it to. All this awd, turbo, torque vectoring, dsg farting stuff that most people like these days just isn't for me really me. 

 

If you fancy a track day i highly recommend doing one. It is however highly addictive! But you do learn more about driving and your car than you ever could on a road

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's update is the arrival of my new Z1 poly motor mounts - thanks @Umster They're a nice bit of engineering and very very light weight

 

Plan is to get these fitted along with, replacement diff bushing (probably whiteline polyurethane) and diff bracing after my stock diff bushing has decided its had enough. May also try and get some z1 rear subframe bushing collars to do at the same time if funds allow.

 

If anyone has and input into this, either best places to get parts or tips for getting the job done (i already know getting the old diff bushing out will be a battle) it would be very helpful.

 

20200703_134955.jpg.5cdb4ca53624d59b531e75635fdd2c20.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Always good to see another MK1 Nismo pop up as they are so rare to see! Lovely car, some amazing upgrades!  I bet the car feels so planted. Very nice actions shots there B)

Edited by Lewis Schwier
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/07/2020 at 15:23, dave_7 said:

 

 

Plan is to get these fitted along with, replacement diff bushing (probably whiteline polyurethane) 

 

If anyone has and input into this, either best places to get parts or tips for getting the job done (i already know getting the old diff bushing out will be a battle) it would be very helpful.

 

 

Avoid Whiteline Poly diff bushing and get yourself a solid bushing instead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Lewis Schwier said:

Always good to see another MK1 Nismo pop up as they are so rare to see! Lovely car, some amazing upgrades!  I bet the car feels so planted. Very nice actions shots there B)

Thanks. Yeah the car felt good even when stock but now its even better! Still more to do in the handling department but Rome wasn't built in a day.

26 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Avoid Whiteline Poly diff bushing and get yourself a solid bushing instead.

Ok, how come you say that if you don't mind me asking?

 

I've been looking into this a lot over the last couple of weeks and have seen a handful of examples where people have gone for a solid bushing, regretted it and swapped out for poly bushing.

 

Another thing I've notice is that the prices for solid diff bushing are outrageous for what they are!

 

It's a bit of a tricky one to research really as its all very subjective so I appreciate the input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Beautiful motor mate 

For your fuel starve issue I've been through a few set ups and the best cleanest and most simple is the one I have now.

 

I literally have another small lower pressure pump in the passenger side directly feeding the stock fuel bucket and I can run right down to empty 

 

The whole set up cost me about 100 quid and a few hours work. 

I have it switched in the cabin and can flick it on as and when so its not just churning away 

 

Radium do a really sexy in tank set up now but its big bucks same for cjm 

 

Diff bushings 

I run whiteline and have no issues with them 

If your cars still to be enjoyed on the road I'd avoid solid 

 

Best mod by far I've found is the vibratechnics gearbox mount its mega perfect blend of stiffness and comfort 

I'll be trying there engine mounts when I build my engine 

 

Keep the updates coming :thumbs:

 

Edited by nissanman312
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

Beautiful motor mate 

For your fuel starve issue I've been through a few set ups and the best cleanest and most simple is the one I have now.

 

I literally have another small lower pressure pump in the passenger side directly feeding the stock fuel bucket and I can run right down to empty 

 

The whole set up cost me about 100 quid and a few hours work. 

I have it switched in the cabin and can flick it on as and when so its not just churning away 

 

Radium do a really sexy in tank set up now but its big bucks same for cjm 

 

Diff bushings 

I run whiteline and have no issues with them 

If your cars still to be enjoyed on the road I'd avoid solid 

 

Best mod by far I've found is the vibratechnics gearbox mount its mega perfect blend of stiffness and comfort 

I'll be trying there engine mounts when I build my engine 

 

Keep the updates coming :thumbs:

 

Fuel starve has become a pretty big issue for me, having to top the fuel off as soon as i get down to 3/4 of a tank.

 

If you could send me a link to the parts you've used and let me know how you've hooked it up that would be amazing. I've looked into all sort for this but all the solutions are big money like you say. I am genuinely excited about this as it sounds like just the solution i was looking for!!!

 

The Z1 fuel starve kit is another one but again but for what is essentially a pump and some piping/cables $500 + shipping + import tax is just too much. The radium kit is over £500 and then you still need to get an uprated fuel pump. The CJM kit has been discontinued now apparently but at over £1200 it was always way out of my league.

 

Thanks for the feedback on the Whiteline diff bushing - it seems to be the best solution in my price bracket and will not make the car an annoyance on the road. Gearbox mount is in the plan as I've heard nothing but positives about them

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/07/2020 at 11:16, dave_7 said:

I'm at Oulton park next Friday, then at Angelsey at the start of August so i'll make sure to post up a couple more

 

 

I'm not too far from Oulton and was thinking of coming along to watch, and get some fresh air. Unfortunately they are closed to spectators for track days. Not sure why, plenty of space and quite happy to **** in a bottle if they don't want to open the toilets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a look on my thred you will see what I used 

I made the parts up from bits from protec I can ask him to put me a little kit together if you like 

 

Its essentially the z1 kit without the mat and wiring 

I have not found i needed the mat

 

The concern is that the pump would run dry which is why I have it switched so if I'm driving in normal conditions I leave it off 

But if I'm doing a fun drive or track days just flick it on 

 

I've been looking at getting it switched on a yaw sensor but never got that far and it works for me this way 

 

Drop me a pm if you want to discuss further :thumbs: I don't want to clog up your build thred :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ponsonby said:

I'm not too far from Oulton and was thinking of coming along to watch, and get some fresh air. Unfortunately they are closed to spectators for track days. Not sure why, plenty of space and quite happy to **** in a bottle if they don't want to open the toilets.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense to me either that one, its not like the infield is a confined space (like say a pub). I was at Cadwell last month and the toilets were open and everyone was well behaved in the paddock. 

 

I'm pretty close to Oulton as well only about 20 minutes drive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nissanman312 said:

If you have a look on my thred you will see what I used 

I made the parts up from bits from protec I can ask him to put me a little kit together if you like 

 

Its essentially the z1 kit without the mat and wiring 

I have not found i needed the mat

 

The concern is that the pump would run dry which is why I have it switched so if I'm driving in normal conditions I leave it off 

But if I'm doing a fun drive or track days just flick it on 

 

I've been looking at getting it switched on a yaw sensor but never got that far and it works for me this way 

 

Drop me a pm if you want to discuss further :thumbs: I don't want to clog up your build thred :lol:

Yes please mate if you don't mind. I'll drop you a pm now 

 

Yes the switch makes sense as like you say under half a tank on the road and the pump would likely run dry which obviously isnt great for the life of the pump. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick catch up from some of the first things i did to the car after the first track

 

First was to address the noise or lack thereof from the stock Nismo exhaust, very disappointing. I opted for a Cobra cat back at the cheaper end of the market as it suited my needs at the time. Have to say i was very pleased with it, sounded great - not too droney but still loud enough to suit my taste. I daily drove the car that this point and apart from the loud cold starts I fond it perfectly liveable. The large 5" rolled tipslooked great at the back end of the Nismo as well. Only downside i could say was that despite it being a full stainless steel system the bracket supplied are not and corrode quite badly. Not a big deal but definetely something to consider. Would 100% for someone not looking to spend a small fortune. I also think paired with HFC's it would have been next leavel noisy.

 

The Cobra was later replaced by an Arc grip i picked up further long the way and paired with some Berk HFCs and the Cobra was sold.

 

 

Shortly after the exhaust i also picked up a Mishimoto 19 row oil cooler kit with thermostatic sandwich plate. For track work this is an absolute must. back then I wasn't pushing anywhere near as hard as i do now and the oil temps were still a big issues even on colder days. I can now saftely say that i have tested this to death on track and is more than up to the task. I went from quiet quickly getting the temp upto 130+ degrees in a short 10 minute session, to very rarely getting it over the 110/115 degree mark on a 20 minute session. Temperatures are much more stable.

 

For anyone interested i run Fuch Titan racepro S oil.

 

Still being a daily at the time however during the winter the oil temps took too long to reach normal running temps despite the sandwich plate. The sandwich plate is always partially open, even when "closed" to prevent the thermal shock of the cold oil suddenly rushing into the warm engine. This combined with the tiny oil cooler that Nissan added to the later model cars meant i was over cooling slightly.

 

My solution to to make a couple of stainless steel covers small enough to fit though the bumper opening to block the airflow through the cooler which works and absolute treat. So now i can cover the cooler to reduce its efficiency on cold days and have it open on warmer days and track days. Covers are painted black so you can't even see them.

 

Cooler looks great paired with the braided stainless steel lines peaking through the bumper. A subtle mod that only people who know about this stuff will notice but will instantly know the car is used to its full capacity B)

 

 

IMG_5153.jpg.532bca0bc2dd32b382425b650e40d679.jpgIMG_5151.jpg.de370884ae3c1998a592f4dcac7f9806.jpgIMG_5150.jpg.3f09afe1b4ea269d64b1bf0a41ff8989.jpgIMG_5149.jpg.fda3ba9df566a1c2423fb53dc8d790dd.jpgIMG_5148.jpg.bd2294dcdfee952615ed345be2111fb4.jpgIMG_5124.jpg.afb5e2c2796de3f9a423e8488186b3ee.jpg

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oulton park on Friday as awesome! Met some decent 350Z lads there as well.

 

Front discs and pads are shaggged now so went to change them at the weekend and the nuts on my front wheel spacers appear to be very very stuck, I am assuming the heat the brakes send through the entire hub assembly.... going to go at it with a blow torch and 750mm breaker bar later.

 

The nuts that came with the Eibach spacers don't appear to be the best. Does anyone one of an upgraded version I can buy with the correct taper to seat in the spacer recess? 

 

JR4_3771.jpg.04eb56431cc1f273c177622dc48ce980.jpgJR4_3230.jpg.a87b30b4a58bbdd873749251f00e4e30.jpgJR2_0163.jpg.7bff1fa8f235f8a213e2a48d55503937.jpg

JR1_0635.jpg

JR1_7835.jpg

JR1_8629.jpg

JR1_9175.jpg

JR1_9516.jpg

JR1_9517.jpg

JR1_9857.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some lovely shots as usual! In terms of your spacers I was just speaking to a lad yesterday that had a Nismo, Mk2 mind you but he had loads of problems with his Eibach spacers. He changed to the Z1 Motorsport spacers with the extended nuts and he said it cured the problems completely. Also might be worth using some 3in1 anti-seize copper grease, will help them not get as stuck. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


350z-uk.com

370z-uk.com

350z-uk.com

370z-uk.com

×
×
  • Create New...