It's new 911 time!

Ekona

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-porsche/eighth-generation-porsche-911-officially-unveiled/39204

Sorry for the PH link, it's all there is right now until Porsche update their main page. 

My thoughts? I think the front end looks much better than the 991 (love the bonnet lines), I'm very happy they're all fat-bodied now, and those specs are seriously impressive: 430bhp, 3.5secs to 60 in the RWD version! That's just crazy, especially when you think that they keep moving the engine forward a little so it's even closer to being mid-engined now.

Downsides? Well let's start with the obvious. That rear is, sadly, exactly as expected from the prototypes, by which I mean it's very bland and ugly. The light strip is gorgeous, but there's far too much blank space underneath it and the black plastic part housing the exhaust tips isn't worthy of a £100K car. I doubt the painted option will look any better, but we'll be able to see when the configurator goes live.  I'm also not keen at all on the interior, what with the rather random looking PDK selector tacked on almost. I thought it was the key first of all! With all the screen space on the dash it's more S-Class than sports class, and the design of the tacho looks a little bland to me. I'm hoping it doesn't look quite so odd in the flash, but I'm not that keen on the current Panamera interior and the use of haptics in that either despite the rest of the world loving it, so we'll see.

That said, I'm sure it'll still be class-leading to drive, I just wish they'd stop launching it in the winter as that always means my test drive is in the cold and damp! I'll keep an eye out for when my local OPC is doing their launch night, and pray I'm not working so I can get over for it.

Also, negative car man points for anyone who says any of the following:

- "It looks just like the old one"

- "Not another Beetle"

- "A GT-R is faster and cheaper!"

- "It's a Porsche, Dan is going to love it and want to do sexy times with it regardless"

:p

11 minutes ago, mattross1313 said:

Do we get a bonus negative man point if we were going to comment with all 4 of your suggestions? :lol: 

I'm sure it's a hoot to drive (I've never had the pleasure of driving a 911), but the looks and sound (of any 911) do nothing for me.

Sums it up for me, sounds utterly tripe and looks no better. I get for people that analyse cars drivability to the nth degree will give it the thumbs up but given I drive my cars to around 60% of their capability 90% of the time it doesn't matter, however having to look outside my house at that dull as dishwater car 100% of the time would do my head in :lol:

• Haha 1

Definitely a step change in look though, I mean the old one on the left looks very much different to the new one on the right, or is it the other way around :lol:

porsche.png.e2a74138374a860da7bfd558240e1bfe.png

Man Points Score = 1

Edited by coldel
  • Haha 6

Hmmm. Without being negative, I think it looks just like the old one, but with a weird space ship looking rear end! Really not sure what their designer is thinking. The interior looks pretty space ship too compared to my 997`s interior - which is very old & dated now. :lol: 

Dont think I will be trading my 997 in for one just yet....

They sound fantastic, even the new turbo ones. You're all wrong. :p 

I know it's a racecar so doesn't really count, but the current gen 911 RSR knocks spost off anything aurally in it's class. At LM it's sooo much nicer sounding than the 488, and even the Vettes are now firmly behind it which I never thought would happen.

First 15 secs of that video confirm it. Piercing.

Hmmm, looks just like all the previous models, you would think beetles would try to refreshing the look by now, and price them more competitively than a GTR... and we all know what Dan would want to do to those exhaust pipes when no ones looking....

5 points- all 4 ticked off plus a bonus point for getting it in one breath

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ekona said:

They sound fantastic, even the new turbo ones. You're all wrong. :p 

I know it's a racecar so doesn't really count, but the current gen 911 RSR knocks spost off anything aurally in it's class. At LM it's sooo much nicer sounding than the 488, and even the Vettes are now firmly behind it which I never thought would happen.

First 15 secs of that video confirm it. Piercing.

Picture1.png.46a326aa06765eefbfc67def9c36144a.png

• Haha 3

There's more exterior changes from a RevUp to HR, than seen on the new 992 :surrender:

On a serious note, these sell by the bucket load so if the formula works why change aka if it makes money, it makes sense.

The noise any water cooled base Carrera makes I think isn't that nice at all. Since going turbo, for me it's even worst. Of course it's subjective, hell some folks even love the noise a stock e46 M3 makes lol

There’s updated pics in that PH link than when I first posted. I hate myself for saying this, but it looks better in grey. 

I definitely hate hate the interior though. That little lever is shocking. 

Edited by Ekona

I guess it comes down to competition, what other supercars can you buy for £100k with the same performance - I am not going to google it and not as familiar with pricing but I would imagine you are looking at yank imports, GTR and R8? So its not a crowded market out there - you could argue there is more prestige of a porsche over an audi and a GTR is always going to be a loud Nissan. Thats why it continues to sell at a decent rate, if the market was more crowded I wonder how it would perform given it looks so dated, old and plain. 

So classic and timeless, you mean ;) 

Porsche have got their price bang on in terms of comparison as usual, anything you may want is more expensive by £25k plus (ish). Plus like you say it’s just one of those cars that you dreamt about as a kid, and it has back seats so you can get it past the missus! 

• Haha 1