Foggy headlight resolution

wizard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've got the same problem on my 350Z. I was advised to polish the polycarbonate (?) outer lenses.

I'm not sure what to use. Would Autosol metal polish be too aggressive?

I see someone has advised toothpaste - but that does sound like hard work.

Any other ideas?

Longer term alternative (provided they are not foggy from the inside) - Remove both headlights, send it to a body shop. They will sand it down and spray another few layers of clear coat (hopefully with UV paint). Should last you another 3-5years. I've been quoted £30 each side so £60 for the pair.

Edited by veeg33

On 02/04/2018 at 21:55, Sargara said:

Toothpaste, a cloth and plenty of elbow grease. But you have to use a proper sealant afterwards otherwise it will return.

As above, I can second this comment. I bought the cheapest Colgate toothpaste and used a couple of microfiber cloths (one to buff it in, other to buff off) and they're as clear as ever now. It certainly does require some serious elbow grease though.  My headlight units now look just as good, if not better than my mates who had theirs professionally done with a buffer - and i only spent 2 quid doing it! 

Amazing how something so simple can make such a difference :thumbs:

Also amazing how some people drive around with such foggy lights it looks like they have been left wet sanded........and don't even seem to notice or be bothered.

It always seems to be old Micras and Yarises that are the worst culprits!

• Like 1