What is the best 'All Round' car

marzman

31 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

If driving Miss Daisy ;) 

You see the bit where I say "personal experience"? 

That was around 1500km in 2 M135i's and 2500km in the Golf across Austria, Germany, France regularly hitting the limiter on the Autobahns, driving slowly is an alien concept to me :lol:

Fair play, most miles were outside of town but I was amazed with both figures, seriously impressive.  Cant speak for the other but I wouldnt be surprised.

TT - not enough seats, Legnum is a shout though.  

• Like 1

the actual foot print of a F150 is not that big . . . . F350 LW Doooley . . . thats big :lol:

But then I am used to truck sizes here . .  and parking spaces. All carparks have suitable spaces for getting trucks in . . . but in the UK . . . ummm no thanks . .  a big ol' F350 would prob take up 4 spaces in tesco's :lol:

Okay, more rules, but in my order of priority.  Meeting all of these would be my perfect car.

Must look stunning, in the 350z, 911, Mercedes AMG GT mould

Must be quick, but not stupid quick. I don't want a car that I can only use 30% power on the road legally.

Must achieve 35+ MPG, and be automatic

Preferably a low tax band - I cant stand throwing money away on road tax

Would like a usable boot space for Ikea trips/tip runs.  Folding rear seats is preferable.  Do any 2+2's do this?

Must be Sub £40k, but the cheaper the better, new or used, max 10 years old.

Petrol or Diesel is fine

Having written this, the versatility/boot space is the least important, and also probably the cheapest/easiest to satisfy as I just need to make sure my wife's car ticks this box.

Edited by marzman
  • Like 1

Looking at your rules, you would get a nearly new '45 for £40k - with the aero kit that makes it stand out in a crowd (not my personal taste, but...) - example:

http://revitupuk.com/product/201565-mercedes-a45-amg-aero-pack-7k-miles-381bhp/

I can assure you that the fun factor is right up there an meets all the criteria, if you can get past the hatchback tag, that is. 

If not, I will be interested in what you choose as I'm maybe making a change this year - and my 'rules' will not be much different from yours :thumbs:

• Like 1

They are all reasonable .......... except the for the tax band, if a 350 is higher tax band then youve got to allow others that are too.
"Stunning" looking cars are usually two seaters as well (all 3 of your examples are), if its an all rounder then surely practicality > looks?

And I still say 335 touring or a Golf GTI, if you want stunning put some awesome wheels on them  :lol: 

32 minutes ago, docwra said:

They are all reasonable .......... except the for the tax band, if a 350 is higher tax band then youve got to allow others that are too.
"Stunning" looking cars are usually two seaters as well (all 3 of your examples are), if its an all rounder then surely practicality > looks?

And I still say 335 touring or a Golf GTI, if you want stunning put some awesome wheels on them  :lol: 

Tax band - i'm paying about £550 for my RRS at the moment and it just annoys me.  It's just money in the bin and is comparable to having a worse MPG.  I'd never really taken any notice of it until i bought an RX8 track car last year which again is £550 tax.  I only tax/insure it for the months that i've got a track day, and its just dead money.

In terms of practicality, by definition of an all rounder you're right... I clearly want something that doesn't exist.  I want a sexy tardis.

50 minutes ago, Ebized said:

Looking at your rules, you would get a nearly new '45 for £40k - with the aero kit that makes it stand out in a crowd (not my personal taste, but...) - example:

http://revitupuk.com/product/201565-mercedes-a45-amg-aero-pack-7k-miles-381bhp/

I can assure you that the fun factor is right up there an meets all the criteria, if you can get past the hatchback tag, that is. 

If not, I will be interested in what you choose as I'm maybe making a change this year - and my 'rules' will not be much different from yours :thumbs:

Thanks, but it's not for me.  I've never fancied a hatchback.  I really like the C250 saloon though.  I'd been modding one in my mind last summer...

I wanted one in silver, and I was going to put some turquoise accents on it, like the Merc F1 team.  Then to finish it off I wanted some of those Pirelli colour edition tyres.  I was strongly considering the estate version too as it looks just like the medical car that follows the F1 cars round.  Not very aspirational to copy a medical car though... :lol:

PIR-vetrina_1.jpg

Edited by marzman
spelling

On 2/2/2018 at 17:47, marzman said:

Okay, more rules, but in my order of priority.  Meeting all of these would be my perfect car.

Must look stunning, in the 350z, 911, Mercedes AMG GT mould

Must be quick, but not stupid quick. I don't want a car that I can only use 30% power on the road legally.

Must achieve 35+ MPG, and be automatic

Preferably a low tax band - I cant stand throwing money away on road tax

Would like a usable boot space for Ikea trips/tip runs.  Folding rear seats is preferable.  Do any 2+2's do this?

Must be Sub £40k, but the cheaper the better, new or used, max 10 years old.

Petrol or Diesel is fine

Having written this, the versatility/boot space is the least important, and also probably the cheapest/easiest to satisfy as I just need to make sure my wife's car ticks this box.

I'm not sure a stunning and practical car exists, due to the nature of what we mostly think is stunning. i.e. 2 door coupe. I'd never describe a Golf R (Or similar turbo hatch) as stunning, but that would basically tick all of the other boxes.

I'd stick with the 2 door coupe. I wouldn't compromise my car choice for 364 days of the year, just so that I can fit some flat pack furniture in... That's what delivery vans are for! :)

• Like 1

I really try and justify a reason why I need a super saloon in my life, but just cant make it make sense over what we will be my ideal all round car - a BMW 430d gran coupe.

looks good, coupe style lines yet with 4 doors and a big boot - folding rear seats probably an option as well.

quiet, comfortable, economical, automatic with paddles

good to drive - its a mid sized RWD bmw, and fast - a 3 litre diesel will see 280bhp with a remap, or theres a 440i if you really need petrol and power.

easily in budget as well.