Is buying a diesel a dumb move?

StevoD

Right so i have come into a situation where i will have to find alternative work. 

Which will mean i need a car to get to and from work im trying to do this as cheap by cheerful as possible,

So my options are

1) something like a Toyota Aygo or Suzuki alto 

Pros;

Cheap Tax

Cheap fuel

No likely restrictions to be put in place

Generally pick up newer lower mileage cars in this category 

Cheaper Maintenance cost

Cons

Tiny inside 

Generally budget builds with nasty plastic and little creature comforts 

Slow and not really motorway suited

2) a super eco diesel like a Peugeot 1.6 hdi 207 or a Hyundai i30 1.6 crdi 

Pros;

Cheap tax

Good MPG

Reasonable Space for humans and cargo

more than suited to a 4 hour drive on the motorway

Cons;

Older vehicles

Higher Mileage

Diesel gate 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My minimum requiremnets

9+months mot

£1500 Max 

less than £100 a year tax 

Aux input from factory 

A/c

Any ideas?

Makes no sense to me for anyone buying a new diesel engined car as it is clear the s/h prices are going to drop like a stone, so.....

It presents a good chance to, and increasingly over the coming years, to pick up a bargain..........providing the disencentives you can come to expect from Government (tax etc) don't make it uneconomic to run.

But if the initial purchase price over a petrol engined equivilent makes more cash sense for the number of years you run it and bearing in mind it might be worth peanuts when you come to sell but you have allowed for tht then it sorts out your present transport problems, then in for a pound....?

If it were me I would be looking for petrol powered.....simply because I hate diesels and particularly the older ones that unfortunately are the only ones that are likely to meet your £1500 budget.

what mileage/type of journeys will you be doing? if its 4 hrs motorway driving, then definitely diesel. any increase in VED will be negligible compared to savings on fuel. if its stop start short distances round town, then a small petrol.

and if you're only spending £1500 max then resale isn't really a concern, you'll be running it till it breaks and then scrapping it most likely.

• Like 1

I too would base it journey type. I see little old ladies and taxi's all the time that have been doing short stop start journeys and have clogged egr and dpfs. Anything more than 45 mins of constant driving on a diesel (not stuck in traffic) and it should be fine. 

I'd be going for a 1.4 or 1.6 civic EP3

Will be cheap to run but a lot more cheerful than an aygo. You'll be kicking yourself every time you sit in an aygo

Get a sport with decent wheels and a type r spoiler. Proper shedding lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coldel said:

Brilliant. Love the way it mentions Spare Wheel which is a wheel just tossed into the back of the car!

Also says 1.3 and 1.6 engine ? interesting :) 

1.3 to power the front and a 1.6 rear, good power balance.

But these figures...

• Power63 bhp
  • Torque75 lbs/ft
  • Top speed111 mph
  • Acceleration0 to 62 in 11.1 secs

Bit ambitious with a whopping 63 bhp :O 

Edited by Willsy1980