Get a dashcam fitted NOW!!

gangzoom

<snip>

I'm not entirely sure this is true, there is an old law which stops you from self incrimination. At least that's what I was told :lol: just snap the memory card if the knock was your fault :stir:

From what I understand if they have grounds that an offence has been committed then they can even if you were the none fault party.

However I'm struggling to find evidence of this so you may be correct. Its a right faff to get at the memory card in mine so destroying the card wouldn't be very practice also if you were found to have destroyed evidence where would that leave you especially if the incident isn't your fault but you were trying to cover the fact you were hooning it on the public highway 2 days previously.

Edited for typos.

Edited by Fodder

Fitting is a doddle for a basic camera, I did it and Im cack handed at most things. Stick it to screen, pull back interior trim and push wire behind, do this around the window of the car then down the side and round to cigarette lighter, job done. Took me 10 mins?

does it have to be plugged into the cigarette lighter? I'm not too sure where the one is in a 370z. I'll do some investigations!

if you're sure it's that easy. i'll be ordering one this week and giving fitting a go at the weekend.

Hahaha I love how the supra just spins out in front of you and you carry on your drive like nothing happened :lol:didn't even check on the poor fella.

If I remember rightly from the first time this was posted Rich actually did do the right thing and check on the driver, ....he just went up the road and came back down the other side. ;)

does it have to be plugged into the cigarette lighter? I'm not too sure where the one is in a 370z. I'll do some investigations!

if you're sure it's that easy. i'll be ordering one this week and giving fitting a go at the weekend.

There's a socket under the dash on the right side of in the passenger footwell - just run the camera cable under the floormat, round the edge of the dash in the door shut, up the A pillar trim and along the edge of the headliner trim to where-ever you stick you cam to the window.

Edited by Dracostan
  • Like 1

There's a socket under the dash on the right side of in the passenger footwell - just run the camera cable under the floormat, round the edge of the dash in the door shut, up the A pillar trim and along the edge of the headliner trim to where-ever you stick you cam to the window.

just been out to check - looks pretty straightforward, do I need to order adhesive cable tidies for the headliner trim as this seems glued down

Cam ordered :thumbs:

As someone who works in this industry just be mindful of being sat in a expensive hire car for weeks on end. If you have the means to replace your car you should. You have a duty to mitigate your losses.

What does that mean?

My X is 3 months old, we saved up for 3 years to afford one.

I certainly didn't go out to crash on purpose.

Given the repair on the X will take at least 4 weeks, surely I have every right to seek a replacement car of the same type, and the only electic SUV on the market is a X. We made a conscious decision to get an electric car as our main car so a combustion car is simply not suitable for our needs.

The rental car cost for this claim is going to come in at £10k as a minimum given how long it takes to get parts across from the US it may even be double that amount,but at the same time surely you don't expect me to go and buy another X whilst ours is beem repaired?? Unless the third party wants to stump £70k for a new X I look forwards to getting our X loaner tomorrow.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

They will argue that you can 'manage' in a bog standard SUV - my mate had the same issue, he ended up with a high spec Range Rover and the other party claimed it was excessive (£6k over 2 weeks) and he had some serious conversations about potentially having to pay out to cover some of that cost down the line. Problem was his insurance company recommended he do this (get the luxury car) and he had to get them to recover the recorded phone calls of him being advised to do it by his own insurance company to get himself out of trouble.

I see what you are saying above, it makes sense, but whether that is how it works legally is another matter - the amount of time you saved etc. is irrelevant really. Why is a combustable car not suitable? Apart from a different fuel it still achieves all the things your X does (performance again is irrelevant).

All am saying is dont think you are due this, and just try get it, be careful because for the sake of a few weeks slumming it in a petrol SUV you could end up in legal issues down the line that you don't really need.

Bit of a wake up call for me to be honest, I've got a top of the line BlackVue sitting staring at from the shelf where it's sat for a year, a birthday gift I just never got around to fitting. That'll be going in at the weekend and I'll get one for the missus.

<snip>

the amount of time you saved etc. is irrelevant really. Why is a combustable car not suitable? Apart from a different fuel it still achieves all the things your X does (performance again is irrelevant).

All am saying is dont think you are due this, and just try get it, be careful because for the sake of a few weeks slumming it in a petrol SUV you could end up in legal issues down the line that you don't really need.

This, but I'm gonna pull on your human strings too, because I bet you have long and sensitive ones, as an EV owner (and that does you credit), but we all have a duty to keep insurance claims to an absolute minimum, it's the unnecessary stuff that pushes all our premiums up, people 'taking the ****' if you like.OF COURSE I'm not saying that you are doing that, or even close to it, but for 3 weeks to a month, you'd be 'ok' in a Focus. Cos you getting that Tesla, that's gonna cost the company's other customers, and ultimately everyone down the line. Jus sayin'. Stuff happens, other people's fault, we all accept that as road users. You are due a family car, imo, end of. ;)

Edited by Aashenfox

Skoda Yeti coming your way Gang :lol:

I think taking the **** on claims is fake whiplash, not getting a comparable vehicle (a petrol wouldn't be too bad, obviously you shouldn't be expected to drive a dirty diesel, there are limits). Any decent sized SUV from a non-dogturd car maker would be reasonable, I'm looking at you Dacia and Ssangyong.

I'm surprised the Tesla doesn't auto upload it's data including cameras as soon as it detects a collision, as it doesn't I'd request a feature update as they have the sensors and tools already in place.

Apparently it does, records and stores all the images, it's just Tesla doesn't make it available to the public for some reason.

http://electrek.co/2016/09/13/tesla-autopilot-camera-stores-footage-crash-like-dashcam/

The car also knew it was in a crash as I had a call from Tesla about 10 minutes after the incident to check if I was ok because the car had called home and had disabled its main battery.

Have just ordered another dash cam for my wife's car and will fit one to the loaner X when it arrives too..... People just don't seem to bother looking when driving these days.

If not release to the public (I'm sure a request for any of your data is covered under U.K. Law) but at least the insurance companies or authorities should have access with the correct paperwork.

Anyway, I digress glad no one hurt and it will be taken care of.

Edit: I have this theory about white and black cars that people seem blind to them, I've had one of each and on both occasions I'd often get people pulling out of junctions etc and not see me.

My theory is SUVS and MPVS. Whenever I drive the zafira or crashqai people always pull out on me as they assume I'm going to dawdle along. Same in a van. But if I'm in the company car or the zed it never happens.

I definitely notice a difference between being in the Z to the Aygo. When in the Aygo, more people pull out of side roads etc when it would be better to wait.

• Like 1

I often book hire cars for our lease car drivers whilst their vehicle is in for mechanical repairs. You have some excutive car drivers that are happy to use a Focus or Golf while the A8 or XJ is in for repair for a couple days. Then you have those that demand the hire is like for like. My lease car has sat nav, dual clutch, birds view camera and heated seats/steering wheel - I need a rental with the same spec!!!

Yes ideally same spec would be nice however in the short term it's not going to kill you #behumble

• Like 1

I often book hire cars for our lease car drivers whilst their vehicle is in for mechanical repairs. You have some excutive car drivers that are happy to use a Focus or Golf while the A8 or XJ is in for repair for a couple days. Then you have those that demand the hire is like for like. My lease car has sat nav, dual clutch, birds view camera and heated seats/steering wheel - I need a rental with the same spec!!!

Yes ideally same spec would be nice however in the short term it's not going to kill you #behumble

Do you work for one of the lease companies? My company car doubles up as the courtesy car, its an Astra Techline with satnav and dash cam. Its well annoying when it goes out as it comes back with less fuel.

Zenith or Lex then, the 2 easiest to deal with. To be fair it doesn't happen often if this car as i just tell them the current range as say it needs to come back with the same or pay £1.50/litre.

Hahaha I love how the supra just spins out in front of you and you carry on your drive like nothing happened :lol: didn't even check on the poor fella.

I love how you assume that !

13041181_10154105089934664_5546658797428090933_o_zpsbjhm74oi.jpg

Fitting is a doddle for a basic camera, I did it and Im cack handed at most things. Stick it to screen, pull back interior trim and push wire behind, do this around the window of the car then down the side and round to cigarette lighter, job done. Took me 10 mins?

the ciggie lighter is above the passenger footwell so easy to route up the passenger pillar (mindful of the airbag) and across the top of the windscreen, on both of my 370's I spliced into the loom on the rear of the lighter and hardwired it in , as its much neater

Hahaha I love how the supra just spins out in front of you and you carry on your drive like nothing happened :lol: didn't even check on the poor fella.

I love how you assume that !

13041181_10154105089934664_5546658797428090933_o_zpsbjhm74oi.jpg

Come on then, Rich, spill the bloody beans, how 'exactly' did it happen (mechanical or pilot), was your mate alright, did the car survive? No insensitivity intended to the victims, it's a learning (and curiosity, naturally) thing. :D We see lots of these kinds of videos, but rarely have the opportunity to interrogate witnesses. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

the ciggie lighter is above the passenger footwell so easy to route up the passenger pillar (mindful of the airbag) and across the top of the windscreen, on both of my 370's I spliced into the loom on the rear of the lighter and hardwired it in , as its much neater

I'll just plug it in for now - so in terms of routing the cabling, to be crystal. You guys didn't remove any of the panels, you just carefully/forcefully pushed the cabling behind the plastics/headline.

James

Come on then, Rich, spill the bloody beans, how 'exactly' did it happen (mechanical or pilot), was your mate alright, did the car survive? No insensitivity intended to the victims, it's a learning (and curiosity, naturally) thing. :D We see lots of these kinds of videos, but rarely have the opportunity to interrogate witnesses. :)

Wasnt my mate I had never met the chap , he was basically trying to race me , I was pottering up to Silverstone at a very gentle pace as it was around 6 degrees and wet and my car was spinning up on gentle gearshifts , I didnt go over about 60mph but he passed me well into 3 figures and then slowed down before passing me again , he floored it off the roundabout and you can see the results

His car is heavily damaged and probably a write off but he hopes to rebuild it , he is a nice lad and we have all made mistakes . I split the money with him for the video so he could take his missus out for a meal as she was in the car at the time

Wasnt my mate I had never met the chap , he was basically trying to race me , I was pottering up to Silverstone at a very gentle pace as it was around 6 degrees and wet and my car was spinning up on gentle gearshifts , I didnt go over about 60mph but he passed me well into 3 figures and then slowed down before passing me again , he floored it off the roundabout and you can see the results

His car is heavily damaged and probably a write off but he hopes to rebuild it , he is a nice lad and we have all made mistakes . I split the money with him for the video so he could take his missus out for a meal as she was in the car at the time

Nice, cheers for sharing. I'd say the driving lesson he got that day was worth more than the damage to his car. ;)