Odd discussion - Sleep related

grahamc

For the last year or so, I have only been sleeping for 5-6 hours a night.... before that it was 7-9 hours. During that time I split up with my long term partner (and fiancee) so yes I was stressed. During this period, 2 hours of sleep was good. Now I am happy, eating well, exercising regularly and have very little stress in my life, but still only manage 5-6 hours of sleep.

I generally go to bed at about midnight, I fall asleep within seconds (very very rarely do I struggle to fall asleep) and without fail I wake up around 0515-0545 and I mean wide awake! No chance of going back to sleep. In the last 4-5 months, I have maybe had 2-3 days where I have gotten back to sleep and slept for another hour, but still woken up before my alarm which is set for 0745.

After 4-5 months, I have no odd side-affects, I do not struggle to stay awake, focus, concentrate, work, etc.

Most of my friends say its very odd and that I should speak to my doctor. Im not a fan of doctors, they will just want to prescribe something rather than trying to fix the rootcause (if there is one).

Anyone else ever had this?

Been doing a bit of reading and there are people that excel like this, so should I just accept it and figure out a way to use my extra time constructively?

Also a little difficult when you have someone who is fast asleep next to you, that you dont want to disturb (she is moody as hell if she doesnt get 8 hours).

Im in the process of reading articles now.........

What do you do before bed? Sometime an active mind can affect your sleep. Xbox before bed for example. Is the result the same if you go to be earlier?

It could also be an unknown outside stimulus, a neighbour leaving for work, light coming in to the room etc.

Annoyingly after a certain time in a pattern your body gets used to it and its just habit. Hypnotherapy is supposed to be helpful i've heard

not the same unfortunate

i went though a heavy period about 6 months back of 1-2 hours sleep a night had to go on sleeping pills which did nothing tbh.

it passed but i notice im struggling to sleep again last few weeks :(

but 100% go see a doctor

• Like 1

Not a great deal before bed.... normally eat early, so 19-2000, then gf and I talk, very rarely switch the TV on, we sometimes read.

Same result if I go to bed earlier or later.

Not that I am aware of, as it changes with the time I go to bed, we have also gone through daylight savings, which changed nothing.

Habit, yes, more than likely.

-----------------------

The strange thing is that I function perfectly, no adverse side-affects, etc.

Still not sold on doctors......

-----------------------

I used to be like that..... but then mood was affected by the type of music I listened to while sleeping :)

Seems fine to me. I try and aim for 8 hours so bed at 2300 and alarm is set for 0700, but often I won't fall asleep until 0000 and am awake at 0600 when the cat meows in my face. I feel absolutely fine, that's normal for me now.

I can survive on 4 hours sleep, but will grab a quick nap in the evening before bed if I do that.

• Like 1

Agree with doctors only giving tablets. They're trained in writing prescriptions

I always try alternatives, worth speaking to a homeopathic/herbalist clinic. There's loads of good Chinese doctors around who can link in herbal treatment with acupuncture. But worth getting checked for any underlying issues

• Like 1

My advise would be if its solid unbroken sleep, you're functioning well and aren't irritable for no reason (obviously some people/things will always irritate you), I'd say you're fine. Also agree with no Dr.

If you fancy trying any kind of tablet, try anti-histamines without the added caffeine (allergy tablets). They make you naturally drowsy which is why most pharmaceuticals add caffeine to them.

Edited by Jay84
  • Like 2

I've heard if you fall asleep within 10 mins you're over tired. With normal health and sleeping patterns you should fall asleep more gradually

i was told by my doctor if your not alseep with in 15-20 minutes get up and do something as your not tired yet :lol:

tight window it seems

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

After 4-5 months, I have no odd side-affects, I do not struggle to stay awake, focus, concentrate, work, etc.

So whats the problem ? Sounds completely normal to me. I'd be ecstatic if i could stay focused all day.

From the sounds of it you had a period of hardly any sleep and your body has just adjusted to that so it can get by on less sleep than it used to.

I've found it more difficult to sleep in as I age, but don't think there is anything wrong with that. Part of me thinks its down to a short attention span brought on by the modern world (need to check them emails), but mostly its just that I need to get up to have a wee.

Edited by Randy_Baton
  • Like 1

I had read somewhere that as we age we need less of most things, food, sleep etc. And when we're really old; air. I think you get a massive bit in middle age where you don't need as much sleep: you stop growing, stop learning in the same way, day to day life and job becomes routine and less of a challenge, so you need less recovery time. When I got my new job, I was exhausted all the time, I was less active as I went from being on my feet all day, to being behind a computer, but learning new skills took it out of me. I then recovered and went back to normal sleep patterns. Broke up with wife, tired all the time.

I guess when you're happy and content, your body and psyche takes less of a battering, so needs less to recover. Maybe you're really content with life and in a good place, having a gf and reading sounds ace to me.

Bloody hell I'll be stressing tonight about falling asleep in that magic 5 minute window tonight

Me too :wacko:

So whats the problem ? Sounds completely normal to me. I'd be ecstatic if i could stay focused all day.

From the sounds of it you had a period of hardly any sleep and your body has just adjusted to that so it can get by on less sleep than it used to.

I've found it more difficult to sleep in as I age, but don't think there is anything wrong with that. Part of me thinks its down to a short attention span brought on by the modern world (need to check them emails), but mostly its just that I need to get up to have a wee.

No problems honestly, just everyone is telling me its not normal and I shouldnt be able to maintain this. Reading on the web says that there are cases of it, but not many. Most experience some form of degradation of focus/mind/creativity, etc or need a catch-up day. Im experiencing nothing like that...

Hahaa, last bit was about right...... ;)

I had read somewhere that as we age we need less of most things, food, sleep etc. And when we're really old; air. I think you get a massive bit in middle age where you don't need as much sleep: you stop growing, stop learning in the same way, day to day life and job becomes routine and less of a challenge, so you need less recovery time. When I got my new job, I was exhausted all the time, I was less active as I went from being on my feet all day, to being behind a computer, but learning new skills took it out of me. I then recovered and went back to normal sleep patterns. Broke up with wife, tired all the time.

I guess when you're happy and content, your body and psyche takes less of a battering, so needs less to recover. Maybe you're really content with life and in a good place, having a gf and reading sounds ace to me.

Thats a good point..... yeah, life is rather good right now.... (hopefully) the last 6-8 months in IT and then GF and I are off to travel, starting with Japan :D Cant wait! My world is currently a very happy place, with a few issues that I have to deal with, but really am happy B)

• Like 1

For the last year or so, I have only been sleeping for 5-6 hours a night.... before that it was 7-9 hours. During that time I split up with my long term partner (and fiancee) so yes I was stressed. During this period, 2 hours of sleep was good. Now I am happy, eating well, exercising regularly and have very little stress in my life, but still only manage 5-6 hours of sleep.

I generally go to bed at about midnight, I fall asleep within seconds (very very rarely do I struggle to fall asleep) and without fail I wake up around 0515-0545 and I mean wide awake! No chance of going back to sleep. In the last 4-5 months, I have maybe had 2-3 days where I have gotten back to sleep and slept for another hour, but still woken up before my alarm which is set for 0745.

For the last 13 months I've gone to sleep at, 11pm,usually awake at 530am, and normally out of bed by 6am.

Initially this was because my daughter would wake up at 5am but she is now sleeping through from 7pm till 7am.

I use the time from 6-7am to get paperwork done, infact that is my most productive hour interms of getting writing done.

If your falling asleep fine and feel fine I really wouldn't worry.

• Like 3

Hi mate I think six hours is normal,if I have to much sleep I feel worse for it,might be to many things racing around in your head at the same time,try not to worry about mate,stay away from the doc

Cheers Paul

Not that much in my head luckily :)

For the last 13 months I've gone to sleep at, 11pm,usually awake at 530am, and normally out of bed by 6am.

Initially this was because my daughter would wake up at 5am but she is now sleeping through from 7pm till 7am.

I use the time from 6-7am to get paperwork done, infact that is my most productive hour interms of getting writing done.

If your falling asleep fine and feel fine I really wouldn't worry.

Im going to start reading some more.... trying to learn a few languages, so seems like the ideal time to listen to some audio books.

I do this :)

I could always get back to sleep and lie in for hours now days I do well to make the alarm clock I beat it by up to an hour, Like you I had a bad patch a bit over a year ago and was getting 2 - 4 hours sleep but I noticed it!

Tired during the day etc,

Now 11pm to midnight pass out wake 6 - 6.5 hours later - not noticed any problems (yet) If I have a hard day either mentally or physically I will be tired earlier say 10pm so sometimes I fall asleep earlier, I would say 75% of the time I wake up after 7.5 hours sleep but I often still wake after 6 - 6.5 hours, I did some reading I'm putting it down to getting older :shrug:

I'm the same about doctors not going unless I really have to!

Ref falling asleep in X mins - My dad :lol: what a character didn't matter to him what time it was if it was time to sleep he just closed his eyes and went to sleep - it was a gift :lol:

As for my good lady wife - she says Goodnight and if you haven't replied by the time her head hits the pillow your to late she is asleep, I read average is 6 - 8 minutes to fall asleep she does 6 - 8 seconds :lol:

However she has more recently complained that she can't stay asleep especially on a Sunday morning when she would like a lie in (just cause you can) she is still up before 7am - no side affects just can't sleep like we used to.

To keep things on an even level my eldest daughter can sleep for days literally, Mon - Fri up at 7am for work Friday night she will go to bed late and can happily sleep until late afternoon on Saturday - if we haven't seen her by 2-3pm we usually wake her up - I say it's up to her, she is up for work it's up to her what she does with her free time, and sleep is a cheap hobby :lol:

TLDR: I'm the same as OP so it the wife :)

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

I'm a classic insomniac, I do not sleep without aids. I have problems with my train of thought going too rapidly when I try to 'do nothing'. So I've been like that most of my life, and I'm ok on about 6 hours sleep. Medically 6 hours is on the short side, however, people are different, very different and you can get used to different rhythms and your body rhythms can change suddenly for no reason (late hayfever sufferers for example). I have a few extremes myself, I'm one of those lucky people who cannot put on weight, when I stop eating junk food like a horse, I lose weight rapidly (no I don't have worms! :lol: ), I'm very energetic, I still run up and down flights of stairs like a teenager :lol:. One day, my body's just going to flip a switch and slow down that crazy metabolism. Maybe I'll be able to sleep as well, then!

So don't worry, as long as you feel ok, and I mean really ok, don't dismiss it if you're having just minor mood swings, or something like that, surely there's nothing to worry about. In any case, at the end of the day, what can you do about it? As long as you feel fine, no doctor will prescribe anything and rightly so. If I were you, I'd just enjoy the extra free time. :) Obviously, those who sleep average 8 hours, lose an entire third of their lives to sleep. This quote, incorrectly ascribed to Edgar Allen Poe, but is very Edgar Allen Poe-ish, says it best... "Sleep... Those little slices of death, how I loathe them."

:lol:

P.S. If you're going to learn a language, Mandarin.

Edited by Aashenfox

I'm a classic insomniac, I do not sleep without aids. I have problems with my train of thought going too rapidly when I try to 'do nothing'. So I've been like that most of my life, and I'm ok on about 6 hours sleep. Medically 6 hours is on the short side, however, people are different, very different and you can get used to different rhythms and your body rhythms can change suddenly for no reason (late hayfever sufferers for example). I have a few extremes myself, I'm one of those lucky people who cannot put on weight, when I stop eating junk food like a horse, I lose weight rapidly (no I don't have worms! :lol: ), I'm very energetic, I still run up and down flights of stairs like a teenager :lol:. One day, my body's just going to flip a switch and slow down that crazy metabolism. Maybe I'll be able to sleep as well, then!

So don't worry, as long as you feel ok, and I mean really ok, don't dismiss it if you're having just minor mood swings, or something like that, surely there's nothing to worry about. In any case, at the end of the day, what can you do about it? As long as you feel fine, no doctor will prescribe anything and rightly so. If I were you, I'd just enjoy the extra free time. :) Obviously, those who sleep average 8 hours, lose an entire third of their lives to sleep. This quote, incorrectly ascribed to Edgar Allen Poe, but is very Edgar Allen Poe-ish, says it best... "Sleep... Those little slices of death, how I loathe them."

:lol:

P.S. If you're going to learn a language, Mandarin.

I have been through insomnia - hated it!!! Worst months I can remember.

Good point about the metabolism.... because mine is similar to what you describe and Im 38, going on 39. I picked up some weight while away on holiday and within 2-3 days of being back to normal walking, climbing and healthier eating the weight disappeared. I am quite active, although I have an office job, but walk everywhere, dont take trains and I do a fair bit of climbing in a week.

Trying to re-learn Afrikaans as its been years since I spoke it plus the GF is French (she was actually my French tutor - thats how we met :D), Dutch as Afrikaans is an easy switch and Japanese..... Since I am going to Japan next year.